“Love this place!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Lansdowne, Virginia
“Love this place!”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

My husband and I stayed at MacArthur Place for 4 nights this July. What a beautiful and quaint property. Our room was very spacious with a real fireplace and large balcony, the pool area is very quaint, there are beautiful gardens and sculptures throughout the grounds, and the restaurant is really cool. The spa was great -- massages were wonderful and we loved the themed rooms. The happy hour was perfect -- nice wines and cheeses in the library or patio and a friendly hostess willing to share local tips. The continental breakfast buffet was excellent - from house-made granola, muffins, croissants and toast, to fresh fruit, yogurts and hard boiled eggs -- YUM! The concierge was very helpful and professional. They booked all of our restaurants and wine tours -- all were amazing (our favs were Girl and the Fig and Duckhorn). The location was great. Just a few blocks walk to the historic town center. Tuesday night was the farmers market which was really fun -- great band, lots of food booths and friendly locals. Thanks to our wonderful travel agent (Sharon Walters of Travel Wizard) for recommending this hotel. We would recommend this hotel for anyone -- families, couples, biz travellers.

Room Tip: We had a nice corner room with fireplace on the top floor with a large balcony. I don't think th...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Grounds are beautiful. Though the staff goes above and beyond to provide great service, the rooms are in need of renovation and deep cleaning. Saddles, their restaurant was phenomenal and the staff there was fantastic. If they put the same design and upkeep effort towards the inn, it would be a gem of a place! Also, they advertised that they are "right downtown" but in fact it's a 5 block walk on a dark heavily trafficked road.

• Stayed August 2012
woodstock
Reviewed 2 August 2012

My husband and I just spent 2 nights in Sonoma celebrating our Anniversary. We chose MacArthur Place based on all the reviews. We were not disappointed and one of the perks for us was a bottle of chilled champagne upon our arrival. I am in agreement with previous reviews where the grounds are beautiful, our room had a mini cottage feel too it with wonderful fresh spa smelling amenities and the bed very comfortable. No problem not to have a bath in the room, stand-up shower suited us just fine. The the pool was adequate. I little small in the sense that if there are children in the pool you will not get your "piece & quiet" in this place. I imagine it would be a hit or miss experience. It is a lovely area with pool side service. One day it was efficient and the next day there was no one about. They do offer plastic wine glasses if you choose to grab a glass during their wine reception and return to the pool. I thought that was a nice touch. We had dinner in Saddles on our first evening. It was rather busy and ordered a cocktail from the friendly barman. Once seated we unfortunately got lost in the crowd and waited 15 minutes before my husband had to say something to the hostess to find our waitress. She was very apologetic and even offered to pay for a free dessert. I will tell you the food was delicious and there is an extensive wine list. So in summary yes I did find it a little overpriced for over $400/night for what you receive but I would return to both the hotel and the restaurant when visiting Sonoma as the hotel does make you feel like you are "away from it all".

Sonoma, California
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Our holiday gift to the family this year was a stay at this place. We have been here before as just a couple. We had 3 rooms for 7 people, ages 8 to 60. We all enjoyed ourselves while the warm weather cooperated. Didn't need the car once we got there since it is pretty close to Sonoma Square and anything you might need. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfy. Love the style and decor. The pool area is great and relaxing. There are warnings about keeping the noise down which is great when the parents are responsible. The grounds are immaculate and worked well for the picnic we purchased at the local cheese shop and enjoyed in the shade. We all have great memories and that is what it is all about when you do things with your family! Yes, it is a bit pricey, but well worth it!

Room Tip: Upstairs in the cottages are very comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I was so pleasantly surprised by MacArthur Place in Sonoma. The upstairs King room was spacious and comfortable, and the service was impeccable. The grounds and gardens are stunningly beautiful, and it was a pleasure to meander about in them. There is a lovely pool in the center of the property, which was perfect for an evening swim after dinner.

Some of the other reviews complain about the price of MacArthur Place. However, there are a lot of amenities included at no extra charge that many hotels make you pay for. Parking: free. Wireless internet service: free. A wonderful continental breakfast (including cereal, fruit, toast, yogurt, juice, coffee, pastries, hard-boiled eggs): free. And no ridiculous "resort fee". Add all of these up, and the hotel is not a bad value.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention two members of the staff: Mary Jane and Cynthia. I met both of them while they were pouring the wine during the (complimentary) daily happy hour. They were so helpful with dinner and winery recommendations. The sincere friendliness of these two ladies is something I will always remember.

The shower in the bathroom was simply amazing. It was high enough so I didn't have to "duck" under it, and the water fell on my head as if from a waterfall. I never wanted to get out of that shower!

The hotel is located only four blocks from the historic Sonoma Square park, around which are many restaurants and shops. I suggest walking so you don't have to search for parking. Stroll home to MacArthur place, take an evening swim and relax. It's a beautiful place...

Room Tip: A second floor room provides a nice view of the gardens.
1 Thank LongBeachTripper
Kentfield, California
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Everything about our stay was wonderful. The rooms are fantastic and the beds absolutely wonderful. The spa is a must to take all of your cares away and make you feel like a king or queen.

• Stayed June 2012
Woodinville, WA
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful four night stay at MacArthur Place (July 1-5)Overall, I would definitely recommend it, but I'm not positive I would stay there again without first checking out the alternatives.

First, the positives:
The staff are lovely; very helpful and friendly. They suggested restaurants and made reservations for us, gave us maps/directions and bottles of water, and were also sincerely interested in our opinions of places after we returned. The grounds are very pretty....lots of meandering paths with beautiful landscaping, fountains, etc. I like that the accommodations are sprinkled around the grounds in small "cottages" which was very charming. There is a complimentary wine reception every evening in the library from 5-6 which is a lovely touch. The beds were very comfortable, there was turn-down service and the toiletries were top-notch. The location is walking-distance to the town square. If it was really hot outside or if you were returning late in the evening you might prefer to drive, and we never had a problem locating free parking by the square.

The negatives:
I think there is a lot of variation in rooms, so be sure you ask exactly what you are getting when you book. I had seen things mentioned in reviews like HUGE bathrooms, balconies, patios (both front AND back!), fireplaces, luxurious bathtubs, etc. Our room had none of those features. I'm sure it is the more expensive rooms that have those but at $400 a night our room, while charming, was fairly basic. A shower (no tub), no window treatments whatsoever except for dated looking blinds, and the room was relatively dark, even though it did have three windows (I blame the dark paint color) So while adequate, the room decor certainly didn't 'wow' me. The bath towels, while genereous in length, were like sandpaper...so scratchy! I think they need to invest in some new towels and some fabric softener!

The complimentary breakfast every morning was nice, but for the price of hotel rooms ($400 and up per night) I think they could have included a few hot items as well without those having an additional charge. The buffet was identical every morning...several varieties of fruits (all very fresh), a bowl of cottage cheese, a bowl of hard-boiled egg, a tray of yogurts, several types of bakery items (the exact same every day...scones/croissants/small blueberry muffins), several cereals and then bread and bagels for toasting. While this sounds like all you could want, I think it would be nice if they could at least mix up the flavors of muffins, scones, etc. every day so it isn't EXACTLY the same every morning. I'd love to see them have some oatmeal or a belgian waffle maker available, just because the "yogurt with fruit and a scone" breakfast got a little tiresome after 4 days.

The pool was very clean, and there is pool service for both drinks and food, but we had a hard time finding chairs several of the days we were there and just had to sit on our towels on the grass for quite a while. (Not a huge issue, but when paying a lot of money for a hotel room, you expect to be able to sit in a chair when you go to the pool). The pool isn't fancy, just a traditional backyard-rectangle pool, so if you are expecting a big splashy 'resort' pool, you might be disappointed. Service at the pool was spotty as well.... several of the girls really were busy, cleaning up used towels and asking if people needed anything, but the girl who worked there on our second and third day just sat in the corner and hid and didnt do a thing...didn't pick up empty cups or towels or replenish the water in the drink cooler, etc. The place looked like a mess on those days.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay very much and may return, but before I committed to this I would check out other places as well to compare all the options.

4 Thank DHiskey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonoma
Inn at Sonoma, A Four Sisters Inn
Olea Hotel
Olea Hotel
#1 of 2 in Glen Ellen
Kenwood Inn and Spa, A Four Sisters Inn

Been to MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!