MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa
Ledson Hotel(Sonoma)
Swiss Hotel(Sonoma)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
El Dorado Hotel & Kitchen(Sonoma)
Sonoma Hotel(Sonoma)
  • Breakfast included
  • Spa
  • Pool
All reviewssaddles restaurantoutdoor showerwine and cheesegrounds are beautifulwine countrycomplimentary continental breakfastsonoma squareeach eveningturn down servicehuge bathroomdvd playersitting areaa nice touchnice poolsteam roombagelsromantic getaway
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 December 2013

What a beautiful, friendly and convenient place to stay. There are many places to stay in Sonoma but you cannot go wrong with MacArthur Place. From the super friendly check-in (ladies organized our two days in Napa and Sonoma - gave us lots of tasting cards and directions) to the beautiful appointed room. They even upgraded us to a bigger room without asking! Breakfast is really nice and fresh! We loved it here and will come back!

Room Tip: We booked directly with the hotel. Think that might have helped to get us a really nice room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stayed here for the night of Thanksgiving and were a three-generation family group of six people. When making the reservation, I requested that our rooms be near each other. The reservation person couldn't guarantee it, but we were very happy upon check-in. All three rooms were in the same building, and one was even given a complimentary upgrade. All the rooms were nicely appointed, clean, and spacious. The only thing to be aware of is the hot water comes on very, very hot; I'm not complaining - just giving a warning. The hotel is spread out over quite a large area. The grounds are lovely with many places to sit and read or relax; or you can play chess with a giant chess set or play checkers with polished stones. There's also a nice 'library' with a fireplace and comfortable furniture. A nice touch is cookies, muffins, etc. in the lobby throughout the day. The included continental breakfast was fine - more than most but nothing amazing. All the staff members were very friendly. In terms of location, while the hotel is only about a 15 minute walk from Sonoma's main plaza, it's along a very busy street. There are just two issues we encountered. First, two of the three porch lights on our building were out, making for a very dark walk down the front stairs. Second, we were in the Mansion building which is closest to the lobby building and facing MacArthur Street. Traffic on MacArthur can be rather frequent and loud, even at 3 a.m. on Thanksgiving night (the reason for my lower rating on sleep quality). If I were going to Sonoma again, I would definitely stay here as long as it was in a room further away from the street.

Room Tip: Ask for a room further back from the streets.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Overall, McArthur place was lovely but I'm not sure I'd stay there again. I do agree with other reviewers that the walkways could be better lit at night. The staff when we checked in was very pleasant and although we missed their nightly cheese/wine hour, they graciously brought to our room two glasses of wine and a cheese/cracker/grape plate. They did have a refrigerator in the room but it was filled with items to purchase. The room was nice, clean and spacious but definitely showed signs of age. The water pressure was great as that's important to me as I have long hair. The library has a nice DVD selection which you check out at the front desk as well as books and games.
My biggest complaint was the noise. We stayed in Elm 15 which is ground level and you could hear everything from people talking to flushing their toilets to walking around and since the pathways are stone, you could hear the cleaning carts going up and down the pathways. At that price and setting, I expected a more calming and relaxing atmosphere.
McArthur Place does have a heated pool and jacuzzi which we didn't use but looked very nice. There is also a spa which we didn't use but the soap in the room from the spa smells great especially the lavender. The grounds were also very pretty and the location can't be beat.
The continental breakfast in the morning is quite extensive and I ordered off the menu and the eggs, bacon and breakfast potatoes were also good.

Room Tip: Higher floor
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
sonomabb, General Manager at MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Thank you for sharing your comments about the hotel, location, grounds and service during your visit with us. I would like to apologize for the noise you experienced during your stay. Please let me know if I can assist you with a future stay.
Best regards,
Bill Blum

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I stayed at the MacArthur Place in November 2013 while attending a conference in Sonoma. The place is so nice. The grounds are so beautiful and calming. My accommodations were very nice and clean. I wish I could have spent more time just enjoying the facilities. The continental breakfast is more than that and the quality of the offerings is top notch. I enjoyed other meals at the place and they were all very good, including a dinner at Saddles restaurant. The wine and cheese in the evening is a very nice touch. The staff is so gracious and helpful. I I can only think of great things to say--loved it!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights on business. Great location and extremely friendly staff. Rooms are beautiful. Some of the outside pathways could use a little more lighting in the evenings and the pool area could use a but of a makeover but overall a very very nice hotel that stays true to the Sonoma vibe. Would love to return.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business