“Beautiful but Overpriced”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 October 2008

The Minuses:

We arrived to the Inn on Friday afternoon, just after our Mom had arrived and checked in. When my sister and I checked in, we were not provided with any information about the hotel, just handed a key to the room. I guess because my Mom arrived first, they figured she would explain the amenities to us. We found front desk staff in general to be pretty stuffy and rude. We went to speak to them after seeing our room to ask about alternate accommodations as we were curious if we could get a room with a balcony and they acted like we were putting them out. I understand it is a busy time of year and odds were that they did not have a room, but they were not at all helpful or friendly about locating something. I found out that my mom gave the front desk her credit card when she arrived, but we did not want her to pay for the room. I had also already been charged for the room back when I booked it in August. I explained at the front desk that I wanted to pay for the room and they assured me they would make sure only I was charged. I discussed this with them upon check in and also on departure. I just realized that they credited my credit card and charged my Mom, so now I need to call them to get this fixed. It is frustrating to have this happen after I specifically asked them about it. In asking about the charges while at the Inn, they acted frustrated that I was very specifically asking about it, yet they still did not get it right. We paid $450/night for a room with a queen bed and a daybed. There were some nice amenities with the room (the wine reception and breakfast) but I still found it overpriced for the room quality.

Pluses:

As far as the resort itself, it is beautiful. It is very spread out and there are many unique seating areas that you can relax in. The landscaping is very pretty. There are beautiful flowers, plants and greenery, which makes you feel like you are in the country. We enjoyed the wine reception on Friday evening and found one of the employees there to be very helpful. She made some suggestions about dining, as well as which wineries to try. We went to Jacuzzi, Viansa and Gloria Ferrer, all of which we greatly enjoyed. This employee told us about pizza at Viansa, so we planned our lunch there and were quite pleased. The food was delicious and the grounds were beautiful. They also have lots of samples out to try. She also offered that there should be a complimentary pass in the room which we did not see. We went to the front desk to ask about it and the gentleman who helped us ended up giving us a few passes for the wineries we wanted to see. The recommended wineries were all great. Now that I think about it, we spoke to another gentleman on Sat night at the front desk and he was very helpful and friendly too. Maybe it is just the daytime staff that is not friendly. The breakfast buffet that they have in the morning is quite nice too. They had boiled eggs, bagels and lox one morning, cereal, yogurt and pastries…a nice selection. We sat outside one evening with a bottle of wine and some cheese and crackers and it was very pleasant. We also sat by the pool in the afternoon and it was very pretty and comfortable.

Overall, I enjoyed our stay at MacArthur Place Inn and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 October 2008

Without shelling out 2K/night at The Carneros Inn or L'Auberge, this is definitely one of the better hotels in all of Sonoma Napa Valley / Yountville / St. Helena. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't spent anytime in the valley. The level just isn't the same as what you'd get in a big city.
Compared to the Yountville Inn and other places I've stayed for comparable rates, this hotel is fantastic. I only wish we'd had a bath. My only other complaint was the windows on the East side of the bedroom needed a blackout shade. We woke at 5AM with the glaring sun through the slats. I was pretty disappointed about that because I'd had little sleep and had been driving all night.
Other disappointments included hearing kids in the morning, and hearing people go up and down the stairs.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank jonze
Reviewed 11 October 2008

My first post on Trip Advisor... I'm a snobby traveler, I'll admit. I like the best of the best and when I (finally) take time for some sweet relaxation, I expect it to be perfect -- and I'm willing to pay for it. Well, today we decided on a last minute trip to Sonoma/Napa Valley over the weekend and at the last minute found what looked to be a charming place online, MacArthur Place. We are paying $450 for what could be a "Country Inn and Suites". The queen bed is uncomfortable, the room is totally cheesy, the country decor is totally 1990... I could go on. While the grounds are pretty and the wine hour is a plus, this place is not worth the high price tag. For $450/night, I expect down pillows and something better than the motel down the street for $150/night. I'm disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DCsnobbytraveler
Reviewed 6 October 2008

We recently stayed here for three nights and really enjoyed it. Most of the rooms are in cottages with four guest rooms. The rooms are very spacious with large bathrooms with large walk in showers. The grounds are beautiful with tons of gardens, artwork and sitting areas. They have a very nice pool, an excellent spa ( I had a great massage) and a small excercise room. A very nice continental breakfast is provided. We had dinner one night at the hotel and it was fine but not memorable.

The location is excellent in the heart of the town of Sonoma. We were there the day there was a big town festival celebrating the wine harvest so there was a lot going on. It is a short drive to Napa which is a far more touristy (and expensive) wine area than Sonoma.

This is not a fancy resort, but is a good value and a great location even though the immediate surrounding area is a bit sketchy. But the resort layout creates an oasis effect that blocks it out.

Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank TimeTraveler123
Reviewed 12 September 2008

We went to Sonoma for the first time in August for my 40th birthday. It was hard to find a place in the area that would accept a reservation for just one night. We picked the Macarthur Place and were pleased with our choice. Our room was nice, not luxurious and on the first floor near the library and restaurant. The bed was comfortable. The band played loudly until late in the evening. Food at Saddlebacks was good. I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for a nice place that is bigger than one of the b & b's or inns located throughout the area.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2008

We didn't have the chance to stay overnight since we had a busy weekend. But we live only an hour away, so we decided to book the Wine Country Romance Spa Package which included a scrub, massage, lunch and gift.

Wow! When we arrived, the grounds were beautiful. The landscaping was nice and perfectly kept. The white buildings were clean and private looking.

We walked to the center of the complex. The Spa is located next to the pool. The pool is a nice size and there were plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas. All clean and nicely kept.

We entered the spa, which also has a little gift shop and was greeted warmly (by name) by Annette. She instructed us what to do, since we're not avid spa goers. My boyfriend went his way and I went mine. In our lockers was the "gift" (mine was a rose scented body butter, his was a candle) and credit towards our lunch. When we came out, we sat in the "lounge" which was just 4 chairs and a coffee table. I must say they had the tastiest little cookies there as well. I ate 3! We had our scrub in the couples room, very nice and although I can't remember the names of our massage therapists, they were amazing! They made us feel at ease and they definitely knew what they were doing. (We also got small bottles of the lotions and oils they used with our treatments.) After that, we had an hour break, so we steamed in the co-ed steam room (such a nice touch for couples), then went to the pool and relaxed. Although only an hour from SF, we felt like we were on holiday in another country. We also had a swedish massage as part of the package and lunch by the pool.

Everything was great. The spa was clean, pretty, and well equipped. Peaceful, beautiful grounds with lovely workers. We had a dream like experience. We would like to go back once a month if possible!!!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2008

My husband & I recently stayed at MacArthurs Place and had a wonderful time. The Front Desk Manager, Bunky, was delightful. She was very helpful with fun activities to do during our stay. We kicked off the weekend by starting with a couples massage which was done by Cynthia & Gabrielle. These women did a magnificent job. We were both very impressed with their technique. Then we relaxed by the pool where a lovely young waitress took care of our every need. Her name was Jessica & she was very professional & friendly. We then cleaned up & went into the Saddles lounge where we enjoyed cocktails & appetizers. Gerard was the bartender & he and my husband really clicked. They came up with a new drink & named it after my husband. The funny thing was, when we went out to another establishment later on in the evening, the bartender there already was given a heads up & knew what was in the 'Captian Ron'. We also had dinner in Saddles Steakhouse & the Filet melted in our mouths. The waiter, Asher was excellent. Not one detail missing. We want to thank the staff for making our stay so enjoyable. We look forward to returning & staying longer. Thanks again.....

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonoma
Inn at Sonoma, A Four Sisters Inn
Olea Hotel
Olea Hotel
#1 of 2 in Glen Ellen
Kenwood Inn and Spa, A Four Sisters Inn

Been to MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!