We arrived to the Inn on Friday afternoon, just after our Mom had arrived and checked in. When my sister and I checked in, we were not provided with any information about the hotel, just handed a key to the room. I guess because my Mom arrived first, they figured she would explain the amenities to us. We found front desk staff in general to be pretty stuffy and rude. We went to speak to them after seeing our room to ask about alternate accommodations as we were curious if we could get a room with a balcony and they acted like we were putting them out. I understand it is a busy time of year and odds were that they did not have a room, but they were not at all helpful or friendly about locating something. I found out that my mom gave the front desk her credit card when she arrived, but we did not want her to pay for the room. I had also already been charged for the room back when I booked it in August. I explained at the front desk that I wanted to pay for the room and they assured me they would make sure only I was charged. I discussed this with them upon check in and also on departure. I just realized that they credited my credit card and charged my Mom, so now I need to call them to get this fixed. It is frustrating to have this happen after I specifically asked them about it. In asking about the charges while at the Inn, they acted frustrated that I was very specifically asking about it, yet they still did not get it right. We paid $450/night for a room with a queen bed and a daybed. There were some nice amenities with the room (the wine reception and breakfast) but I still found it overpriced for the room quality.
As far as the resort itself, it is beautiful. It is very spread out and there are many unique seating areas that you can relax in. The landscaping is very pretty. There are beautiful flowers, plants and greenery, which makes you feel like you are in the country. We enjoyed the wine reception on Friday evening and found one of the employees there to be very helpful. She made some suggestions about dining, as well as which wineries to try. We went to Jacuzzi, Viansa and Gloria Ferrer, all of which we greatly enjoyed. This employee told us about pizza at Viansa, so we planned our lunch there and were quite pleased. The food was delicious and the grounds were beautiful. They also have lots of samples out to try. She also offered that there should be a complimentary pass in the room which we did not see. We went to the front desk to ask about it and the gentleman who helped us ended up giving us a few passes for the wineries we wanted to see. The recommended wineries were all great. Now that I think about it, we spoke to another gentleman on Sat night at the front desk and he was very helpful and friendly too. Maybe it is just the daytime staff that is not friendly. The breakfast buffet that they have in the morning is quite nice too. They had boiled eggs, bagels and lox one morning, cereal, yogurt and pastries…a nice selection. We sat outside one evening with a bottle of wine and some cheese and crackers and it was very pleasant. We also sat by the pool in the afternoon and it was very pretty and comfortable.
Overall, I enjoyed our stay at MacArthur Place Inn and would recommend it to others.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury 64 room Sonoma inn and spa set on a historic 7-acre garden estate walking distance to Sonoma Plaza. Heated pool and whirlpool. Full service Spa. Saddles Steakhouse and Martini Bar. Continental breakfast buffet, evening wine and cheese reception, DVD movies, parking, and wireless internet. Bicycle Rentals. Close to more than 30 wineries. 15 Minutes to Napa. AAA 4-Diamond Award. Top 10 San Francisco and Northern CA Hotels - Conde Nast Annual "World's Best" Readers Poll. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macarthur Place - Sonoma`s Historic Inn And Spa
- Macarthur Place - Sonoma`s Historic Hotel Sonoma
- Macarthur Place Sonomas Historic Hotel
- Macarthur Place Inn & Spa