As beautiful as Sonoma is, it isn't blessed with great hotel options. On our first visit to Sonoma last year we stayed in the Marriott, which was a real disappointment; poor service and noisy, uninspiring rooms. This year we booked in advance and managed to get a room at MacArthur Place. I can now see why it gets booked up so early. It's quite unassuming on a side street about 15 mins walk from the Plaza, you could easily walk pass and miss it. Once inside it oozes charm and is cosy and inviting. The hospitality of the staff on arrival is really touching so you immediately start to relax.
Lovely pool and spa area surrounded by well tended and pretty gardens. The decor throughout is quaint, french country style and there are several public areas to spend time, such as the library where complementary wine and cheese was served every evening. Nice touch.
Rooms are spacious, bright and nicely decorated too. Bathroom is also large and the shower is really powerful. Although there are 4 rooms per house, we didn't hear anything from neighbouring rooms, despite it being almost full occupancy.
Breakfast buffet was adequate. Although I can't think of what I missed specifically it just felt sparse and a little unimaginative when eating there on consecutive days. The breakfast room was lovely though and the service generally good.
What we appreciated most was the helpfulness of the staff and their local knowledge, which they were more than happy to share with us. In particular, for wineries, cycle routes and hikes, Justin and Nancy were invaluable and always enthusiastic about offering advice.
All in all, great location, great service and lovely relaxing experience. Thank you
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury 64 room Sonoma inn and spa set on a historic 7-acre garden estate walking distance to Sonoma Plaza. Heated pool and whirlpool. Full service Spa. Saddles Steakhouse and Martini Bar. Continental breakfast buffet, evening wine and cheese reception, DVD movies, parking, and wireless internet. Bicycle Rentals. Close to more than 30 wineries. 15 Minutes to Napa. AAA 4-Diamond Award. Top 10 San Francisco and Northern CA Hotels - Conde Nast Annual "World's Best" Readers Poll. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Priceline, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macarthur Place - Sonoma`s Historic Inn And Spa
- Macarthur Place - Sonoma`s Historic Hotel Sonoma
- Macarthur Place Sonomas Historic Hotel
- Macarthur Place Inn & Spa