“MacArthur Place is the very best hotel and spa to enhance your Sonoma experience”

MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
GreenLeadersGold level
Saratoga, California
Reviewed 27 April 2010

My husband and I just got back from the most wonderful stay at MacArthur Place! We were there for two nights but we are as relaxed as if we were lucky enough to stay for a week. What a beautiful place! The grounds are truly magical with whimsical garden sculptures and wonderfully fragrant flowers and herbs. The pool and spa area is large with comfy loungers, fresh towels and a refreshing lemon water station. ~And then there was our room! It was perfect! The decor was rustic wine country elegance and the bed was super comfortable. My favorite thing in the big luxurious bathroom was the fabulous grape seed spa soaps and lotions...Super yummy! The room comes with a top-notch continental breakfast and wine and cheese in the afternoon. I had the best massage of my life by Cynthia at their spa and we rented their bikes for a super fun day seeing the sights of Sonoma and visiting a few wineries. The hotel is actually within walking distance to many wineries and to the square with great restaurants and shopping, but it was really fun to bike around town. We would give MacArthur Place TEN stars if we could and can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 April 2010

I usually am an observer on TA, but wanted to write a review for what I felt was a truly exceptional stay at MacArthur Place. First, it is a beautiful location very convenient to either Sonoma or Napa Valleys (we did some of each). The grounds are gorgeous -- there are gardens everywhere, and at the time that we arrived in March there were tons of flowers in bloom. From the moment we arrived, we felt completely taken care of. I think that the hotel was sold out at the time that we were there, but it nonetheless seemed like we were the only guests. We had so much fun getting to know Bunky at the front desk, who really went out of her way to make us comfortable and to take care of us - even staying late to help us with something. It was so impressive to me, given that I'm sure she had her hands full with a large group staying there -- unlike most other places I've stayed, I really felt like MacArthur Place made their guests a priority.
Also, our room was amazing! We had a suite with a jetted whirlpool tub and fireplace, and it was incredibly comfortable. We enjoyed a couple quiet, romantic evenings of fireside Scrabble (which we borrowed from the game room/library) with wine and cheese from the local market; I especially enjoyed taking baths with their great smelling bath products. The hotel also has a wine and cheese reception in the library during the afternoon, and yummy pastries in the morning -- which we thoroughly enjoyed when running off to our first winery visits of the day!
In sum, we found this to be the perfect place to relax, unwind, and enjoy some romance... definitely the highlight of our 10-day vacation in California!

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 21 April 2010

This place is the bomb!! The rooms are big, comfy and the shower is amazing. Every staff member we came in contact with was super nice. The breakfast buffet is perfect with very fresh fruit. Our dinner at Saddles was very, very good. The concierge was very helpful in finding us a driver to take us up to Northern Sonoma. The driver drove our rental car and took us to places we NEVER would have drove too. A wonderful and cost effective way to see wine country. This hotel's location is perfect. We were able to see much of Sonoma and most of Napa. I had one of the best massage's ever, thanks to Cynthia in the spa!! If you are unsure were to stay this really is the PERFECT place!!!

Philadelphia, Pa
Reviewed 7 April 2010

My daughter and I decided to take a weekend side trip to Sonoma while visiting relatives in San Francisco. Staying at MacArthur Place was the best decision we made. First of all, the weather was perfect, so we were able to enjoy the very beautiful, peaceful grounds. There were so many little nooks you could find to relax and enjoy the gardens around you. We also enjoyed a great game of chess on an outside board with giant sized chess pieces.
We loved our room. It was very tastefully decorated. We found it to be very roomy and comfortable. At night when the temperature dropped, we lit the log and enjoyed the fireplace while watching a movie my daughter chose from their well stocked video collection.
The next morning, we enjoyed their continental breakfast that had ample fresh items such as delicious fresh fruits,incredibly tasty muffins and everything in between. The staff at breakfast was very friendly and attentive.
I can't tell you how beautiful and special this place is. I would highly recommend staying here. Next time I am coming with my husband because it is the PERFECT romantic getaway!!!
Be sure to check out the coplimentary wine and cheese reception in the library and adjoining patio. They served an impressive selection of wines.

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank Love2travel117
monterey
Reviewed 31 March 2010

I love this charming hotel! This was our second visit and this time we were only able to stay one night, but wished we could have stayed longer. The rooms are so comforable that I didn't want to leave, even for dinner. It's a smaller property, which is nice and more intimate. They have a dvd library (with current releases) that you can enjoy in your room and a really nice complimentary breakfast. I will definitely return as it's one of my favorite places to stay!

1 Thank michelles328
Boston
Reviewed 30 March 2010

I'm from Boston and this was my first trip to wine country. I went with my twenty-five year old daughter, we stayed for two nights and really enjoyed the laid back atmosphere of MacArthur Place. My only issue was the front desk. The hotel is made up of a series of small two story houses, some with porches and decks overlooking the gardens. I had requested a top floor room in a quiet area. We ended up on the first floor on the street side which was noisy. When I asked the person at the desk about changing I was told that the inn had switched us to a larger room (it was huge!) and we couldn't change because they were sold out. I appreciate the nice gesture but it felt strange since the place was almost empty so they lost a star from me. I think they wanted the visitors to be crunched into one area to make it easier for the maid staff. We loved the spa because the massage therapists were fabulous! Do book one, it was a highlight of our trip. The steam room was divine and the outdoor pool and hot tub lots of fun especially under the stars. The breakfast staff was friendly and there were lots of food choices. A free wine and cheese social gave us the opportunity to check out the other guests who were all friendly. With all the wine drinking you'll find most people very outgoing. Sadly, dinner was a disappointment but there are many other excellent choices in the area. Their location is by a main street so do request a room far from the noisy road and make sure you insist! Look for one of their many promotion specials and you'll pay half price @ $175! A good deal for the area. I loved the more mellow Sonoma over Napa which is gorgeous but a bit pretentious. We'll be back!

• Stayed February 2010
horizon51
Reviewed 24 March 2010

We had always wanted to try the MacArthur Place Hotel but never did for various reasons. Finally, we splurged and treated ourselves. It was much more than we had expected. First we immediately noticed how friendly and helpful all the staff were. Then we were overwhelmed by the lush gardens everywhere. The rooms were luxurious and extemely comfortable. My soak in the hydra bath, followed by a movie from the library and a log in the fireplace was heaven! Our complimentary breakfast, was and added surprise that topped a quick one night getaway that seemed like a long weekend. We were surprising relaxed and refreshed from just a night at this beautiful place. We highly recommend it, and don't forget the free wine and cheese happy hour. It was better than the wine than we had at a pricy wine tasting later.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonoma
El Pueblo Inn
Olea Hotel
Olea Hotel
#1 of 2 in Glen Ellen
Kenwood Inn and Spa, A Four Sisters Inn

Been to MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!