“Comfy Cottage, Mature grounds, Needs facelift”

The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
GreenLeadersBronze level
Miami
“Comfy Cottage, Mature grounds, Needs facelift”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This property is located on a main highway in the suburbs across from the kiddie train depot, but is not too noisy. Rooms facing the highway or the parking lot do not have any wine country ambiance. The cottages consist of four units, two up and two down. They are comfortable and ample in size. Definitely the rooms to book. The lighting in the dressing areas is poor for shaving or make-up. Our bathroom floor and shower were in need of repair and other items needed refurbishing. On the last day I accidentally exposed the duvet which turned out to be heavily stained and revolting. Check this out when you arrive.

When we checked in, we did not receive the packet with instructions for our SuLaTable tour. On my second trip to the desk someone finally found it.

The grounds are mature and well kept. The roses were in bloom and beautiful when we were there. We ate in the restaurant for breakfast several times and it was very good - fresh tortillas and ingredients. Good morning beverages. We also had positive experiences with the bar in the evening.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pucgal
Ren_Lodge_Sonoma, Manager at The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa. I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback.

You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. Please be assured that we are taking immediate corrective steps to avoid such problems in the future. I am glad you enjoyed the cottage rooms, and I would like to let you know that we are planning a full rooms renovation for early 2015 that will truly make this hotel one of a kind.

If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly. Once again, please accept my apology. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.

Tyson Tomao

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We just finished our trip to wine country where we stayed in this beautiful resort. Our experience at The Lodge was incredible and we would absolutely recommend this place to anyone! The cottages are spacious and comfortable, and we especially enjoyed the fireplace in the room as well as the soaker tub with lavender bath salts. Also, the resort Navigator, Dominique, was fantastic! She recommended several great wineries to visit and even sent a surprise bottle of wine to our room for our anniversary! So thoughtful. The resort also has some fun activities for guests, like complimentary wine tastings and live music on the pool deck. We didn't have time to try the spa, but next time we visit, we will make that a priority (and there will definitely be a next time!)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah D
Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Upon arrival, we were welcomed with courteous and knowledgeable staff. The entrance was gorgeous and modern. Wonderful sitting area with double sided fireplace. Went straight to our rooms which are spacious, clean, and comfortable. I am a mattress snob and found the beds very enjoyable! They provided us with a bottle of wine which was great on our second night there (not that we needed anymore). We were able to use the hot tub while our friends enjoyed the bar and cafe inside. We also had early breakfast in their restaurant. I would give it an A for atmosphere and a B for food. The price was steep for the actual quality of the meal. All in ALL this was a great hotel and both my husband and I would love to come again!

Room Tip: We booked a smaller less expensive room but were upgraded upon arrival.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Lafayette, California
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

I had stayed here a couple of years ago, in one of their cottages, and was not impressed. I was pleasantly surprised on my stay this year. The staff was very accommodating, the grounds &
the pool area are beautiful, and they host a wine tasting each afternoon.
The room was clean and well
appointed. I would definitely return, provided I got a good room rate.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Ts_Travel_Adventures
Ireland
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This place was a haven of peace and tranquillity.

We were in an upper cottage (1E), highly recommended as you have your own balcony and sit there peacefully all day. The rooms are very well appointed with living room space and fire place...not used!

The pool area was extremely comfortable with shaded sofas.

The staff were nothing but helpful and the shuttle bus to Sonoma square was very useful. We had Room Service on a few occasions and it was excellent.

Do go speak to Dominique. She knows the Wine Country very well and to our utter dismay, as we were several days into our vacation, she had special discount passes to a lot of the vineyards. Let me tell you they become very useful if you are there for more than a weekend! If you are looking for a hectic social life in Sonoma forget it. Its lights out at 11pm!

Would I stay here again...in a heart beat.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Springfield - Delaware County, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

If you're looking for a place to stay in the Sonoma area that has it all I don't think you can Bo much better than The Lodge. Where to begin? I'm a Marriott Gold member since I travel a lot for work so when my wife and I were considering where to spend our First Anniversary we agreed to come to wine country and we stayed here.
When I arrived late at night after our flight landed at SFO I checked in and right away was shown great service by being upgraded from my standard room to one of the cottages. We were in a quiet cottage (3B) that is across the street from some houses but that was fine as there was no noise at all.
During our stay we ate a few times at their restaurant Carneros, once for breakfast and another time for dinner and for brunch. All meals was very good and well prepared. We also went to the spa for massages and used the pool as well.
Great staff and very well kept grounds. Everyone says hello to you when you walk by and everyone is helpful. Make sure you spend a few minutes with Dominique at the concierge desk as she will give you some "VIP" tasting coupons for the local wineries. She's French and likes to say VIP a lot but she's very nice and knows the area well. Also if you want to ship all of the wine you buy home she can give you an order form for a company the hotel uses and the front desk can help you. I found the very convenient as I didn't want to ship home wine every time we went to a winery.
Next time and all other times my wife and I will definitely stay at The Lodge. They even put a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries in the room one day since we were there for our anniversary, nice touch!
Do yourself a favor, stay at The Lodge and enjoy Sonoma and wine country!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Walnut, California
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The hotel was a great place to get away for a couple of days. The room were spacious, with little decks. The people who work there were very nice, check in was easy and the even had a shuttle to downtown Sonoma. The pool area was big and roomy.

Room Tip: I said that we would like a room not on the first floor and away from the elevator. We had a beautif...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonoma
MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa
Ledson Hotel
Ledson Hotel
#5 of 11 in Sonoma
Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa

Been to The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!