“Disappointing”

and up
Muir Woods, Wine Country and Sausalito Town & Ferry
Ranked #38 of 101 things to do in Sonoma
More attraction details
Owner description: Anaba Wines was founded in 2006 by proprietor John Sweazey when a decades long dream came to fruition. Early inspiration and trips to France in the 1970s helped shape the vision, varietals and vibe for the vineyards and tasting room. Anaba's name originates from cool, upward-flowing anabatic winds that soar and swirl through its sustainably-farmed Carneros Estate vineyards. Gifts of nature, these unique air currents make the vineyard more temperate, slow down the ripening process, and allow the grapes to develop more robust flavors and distinctive varietal characteristics. Anaba Wines became the first winery in Northern California to utilize wind power when it installed a 45-foot wind turbine to harness the anabatic winds. This wind turbine generates electricity for Anaba's tasting room, wine storage, office operations and irrigation pumps for the two estate vineyards. The Anaba tasting room is a charming, recently-renovated 100-year-old farmhouse that provides an intimate and unpretentious tasting experience in which to enjoy Anaba's award-winning wines. Anaba's limited edition, superior quality blends and single varietal wines include Pinot Noirs, Chardonnays, Rhone-style blends and an excellent selection of dessert wines.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 14 November 2012

This was the second time I've been to this tasting room, and this trip was a severe disappointment. The tasting room is quite small, and there was three groups of people there. One group we were told was the owner and wine maker with a few others. We arrived shortly after four others we were meeting there, and the pourer gave us the tasting list and had us choose one of two tasting lists. He poured the first wine, not even telling us what it was or describing it. We were a little surprised, but no biggie. I asked about Pink, my favorite wine from my last visit, and he said he didn't have any open. I was a disappointed in that most places would open something that you'd requested - especially if you brought five new people to their tasting room. Finally once all other guests left, the pourer became a little more friendly, but compared to the first time I was here, it was a huge let down. We were prepared to join their wine club, but based on this experience, we decided not to. I'm unsure if I'd stop here on my next trip to Sonoma; probably not.

Visited November 2012

jskinner96
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“This was our favorite winery”
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Not super busy but great people and great wines. They took our pics out by the vines and in front of the bar. Just really nice, genuine people and super good wine. We bought a bunch!

Visited July 2012
Maple Vallley, WA
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 156 helpful votes
“stingy tastings, unremarkable wines”
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We found this place through the VISA signature program. We walked in and the place was totally empty on July 5th. They seemed happy to see us until we mentioned the VISA program, then the woman who warmly greeted us left the room and turned us over to an older gentleman who didn't know much about the wine. This made me think they get their revenue from tasting fees and not from selling their wine and it also made me doubt the veracity of their Wine Advocate point listings.

They were a bit stingy, only allowing for two tastes with the VISA program.

We tried the 2009 Chardonnay which had almost no flavor because it tasted like they pulled it out of the freezer, always a bad sign for a white. We also tasted the 2009 Pinot Noir which had a good nose but a flat body and virtually no finish.

Overall we were not impressed. A note to the owners/vinter: if your wines are good and you have confidence in them, then let people taste them. We were the only ones here that day and you didn't seem to want us to try your wine which is why you got no sale.

Visited July 2012
7 Thank SeattleKC
Big Island, Hawai'i
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Wind powered + tasty wines”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Stopped by during our April in Carneros weekend. Enjoyed and bought a bottle of their pinot. Also tasted a refreshing sauvignon blanc. Cool labels interpreting the wind patterns in the area. On the corner of a busy intersection.

Visited April 2012
Sonoma
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Attitude!”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I went to Anaba last year on a Saturday and the place was dead. I told them I pass by everyday on my commute to work and was interested in tasting their wines. I showed my license which confirms that I am a local and live in the town of Sonoma. Everyother Sonoma winery extends this courtesy of not charging locals for takes. Not Anaba. I will NEVER recommend anyone to visit of buy their wine.
Bad business!