“overall a nice place to stay”

Inn at Sonoma, A Four Sisters Inn
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We stayed here after a two night stay in a mega resort in napa so this was a welcomed change of pace. Although not technically a bed and breakfast, the Inn at Sonoma does have a cozy feel to it, with only 19 rooms in the building.
They serve a breakfast buffet in the morning and a wine and cheese happy hour nightly, both which seem to be big hits with the guests. There's always a tin of cookies in the hallway. The food all seems good, but we came to this area to be wowed by food and although it looked above average we still wandered into town for breakfast on our first morning.
The rooms are well appointed and comfortable, but certainly not the luxury accommodations I imagine you'd find if you spent a hundred dollars more per night. Don't get me wrong, the bed is very comfortable and the room is clean. There were some nice features like a fireplace that can be turned on and off with a light switch by the bed. It is definitely nicer than your average hotel.
I took a star off because there are a few details that I personally found lacking. The sink in the bathroom is a vessel sink with a decorative faucet, which looks better than in functions. The toilet paper is a lower quality scratchy paper--not what I would expect for a place that is $250/night. Last, the bathroom door swings out and into the door to the room. Not a big deal, but kind of annoying. I think this could easily be remedied with a pocket door.
Ultimately I think I would stay here again if I were to return to Sonoma, but the truth is we found Sonoma a little lacking compared to what Napa had to offer. It is a short walk to the town square which was charming, but we found ourselves traveling each day back to St Helena and Napa for activities and ultimately regretting not booking a longer stay and skipping Sonoma. That is not to say that there aren't great things to do in Sonoma, but we were wowed by Napa and continued to make plans to return.

Room Tip: ask for a rear facing room as the other balconies face the front parking lot. truth be told there...

Reviewed 22 July 2013

So, my wife and I had never been to Sonoma, and we were looking for a nice quite place to use as a home base for our trip. We could not have picked a better place to stay. From the moment we arrived until after we checked out we felt comfortable and very welcome.

Of course, we found this place on Trip Advisor and immediately booked it. Being 4th of July weekend, we had to book two days and then get on the wait list for the remainder of our stay. While we looked for another place, we got a call from the Inn and were able to book our entire stay. When we arrived, we were greeted by the extremely friendly and pleasant front desk staff. The lady who checked us in gave us a brief tour before showing us the room. She was wonderful and full of helpful tips. We soon found out that the center of town was a very short walk from the Inn and were able to explore the little town of Sonoma. Can't say enough good things about this place from restaurants to people to the "mayberry" like 4th of July. We think we will go there every year now.

The room was very nice. Small but cozy and we even had a little balcony. The bathroom was large enough. The breakfast every morning was delicious and was well stocked and serviced. The coffee was delicious. The wine and chees in the afternoons was well attended and very tasty if you haven't already had your fill of wine by then. The staff was on hand during the days to offer any advice they could. Yes, they leave at night. So, definitely do not be late for check in. But once in, you don't miss the staff not being there and somehow makes the Inn even more special.

We had a blast and will always stay here when going back. You really can't go wrong. I will say one thing. This is not a party hotel. So if you are looking for late drunken nights and loud music, go elsewhere. If you are looking for a relaxing, pleasant, and nice stay, definitely stay here.

Room Tip: I would reccommend and upstaris room for sure.
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I've stayed at several of the Four Sisters properties over the years and each of them has merited a return visit. The Inn at Sonoma is tucked slightly off the main street in Sonoma, just a block or so from the town's main square. The rooms are quiet and nicely equipped and the staff is very friendly. The morning breakfast is substantial, a step way above a typical continental breakfast. It's an excellent location, and the Square in Sonoma offers plenty of options for dining and shopping. The outer streets from the Square are not to be missed, and the Sebastiani winery is only a short walk, with other wineries within a short drive.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms may be more desirable but the first night we were in a downstairs and less expens...
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed in a beautiful, brand-new, spacious room (#23) july 13-14.
The front desk staff were very friendly and even gave us a tour of the new room personally at check in.
The freshly-baked cookies and coffee were delicious.
The Inn is walking distance to the downtown square, and we had a great dinner there.
Also a large, sunny Peets coffee is across the street.

The trouble we experienced came early on and seems to have been mainly a miscommunication between HotelTonight and the Inn. We booked through the HotelTonight mobile app, which charges your cc immediately, sending you a confirmation email and # and explaining that you are booked. Normally I would not have called the hotel after receiving the confirmation, but after reading reviews on TripAdvisor, I wanted to see if I could request a certain room, if available. Glad I called, because the hotel had no record of my reservation and said they could have a manager call me the following Monday (not helpful as this was Sat afternoon and we needed to be there that evening). I told them that was not going to work as (a) I had already been charged), (b) Monday would be after the time when we needed to be in Sonoma, and (c) our reservation was not going to be their only "problem," because HotelTonight still listed other rooms as available, so surely other guests would be arriving thinking they had reservations. I explained she was going to need to engage her manager / owner and do it quickly. No one ever called me back from the Inn, but I did call HotelTonight customer support, which was really good. They handled it with the Inn directly and called me back to confirm the reservation - around 4:30 pm on Saturday. Not great, but decent given I had made the reservation at noon that day.
Key takeaway - If you book through HotelTonight, you will want to call the hotel directly shortly after to confirm they have you confirmed on their end. If you have trouble, work through HT's customer service vs the hotel's front desk staff, which is likely unaware of management's efforts to sell excess inventory through channels like HotelTonight.

Room Tip: room 23 in the new building faces the quiet front courtyard and is spacious, quiet, clean with a fir...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KWCRB
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Enjoyed the nice location & friendly staff. Especially liked that this is a smaller more personal inn. The breakfast's are always fresh & yummy & evening wine & cheese was a pleasant gathering. They even offer fresh baked cookies daily a nice touch. Would definately stay there again!!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Stayed in room 10 in front of Inn. We enjoyed our stay. Breakfast was nice. We were there from June 26th thru the 30th. The Inn was clean but was having ant issues while we were there. We were there with another couple who were staying in the room next to us and they had a similar issue with the ants. The temperature outside reached 109 during our stay in Sonoma/Napa area. The last night my friends air conditioner was not working and there was no one to address the issue since no one is at the desk of the Inn after 9 at night. It did seem that a lot of the places in town and around the area were experiencing air conditioner issues because of the heat. I hope they have taken care of these two small issues.
We loved the location to the town, the people who worked at the Inn & happy hour at the Inn. I would recommend this Inn to anyone staying in the area.

Room Tip: Stay in the front of the building.... Second floor was lovely.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank haarr
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Our room was clean and spacious with a balcony and fireplace (which we did not need in the 100+ weather!) Breakfast was adequate, with one main hot dish, fruit, cereal, yogurt, bread, etc. Wine and cheese in the afternoon were a nice touch. Quiet hours are 9PM-9AM, nice unless you want to use the hot tub after 9....not recommended, jets are too noisy. There was construction on the property during our stay but it didn't effect our stay at all. We liked the location, within walking distance to the plaza, although not a whole lot happening there after 7 during the week.
The only reason I didn't give this stay an excellent rating is because on the last night our air conditioning stopped working in the middle of the night. There is no one on staff during the night hours so we suffered through it. I would make the suggestion to the hotel to reconsider having someone available in the hotel during the night hours for situations that arise.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rex89134
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonoma
MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa
El Dorado Hotel & Kitchen
Olea Hotel
Olea Hotel
#1 of 2 in Glen Ellen

Been to Inn at Sonoma, A Four Sisters Inn? Share your experiences!