“Very crowded; nice restaurant”
Review of the girl & the fig

the girl & the fig
Ranked #4 of 123 Restaurants in Sonoma
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: French, American
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 1st St.
Description: Wine Country Destination restaurant in the heart of Sonoma Valley. Country Food with a French Passion. Seasonal local products, award winning Rhone-Alone winelist, full bar with aperitifs and unique cocktails. Enjoy seasonal garden patio dining.
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Very crowded; nice restaurant”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Our party of 4 had dinner at The Girl & The Fig last week and enjoyed it very much. The place was really crowded (7:00 on a Wednesday). We ate outdoors and the ambiance was really nice. Service was really good. They have a pretty good draft beer selection.

I had the BLT (the bacon is from their in-house charcuterie). The BLT was open-faced on toasted bread, and included really tasty fries. Everyone at our table was very satisfied.

If I am not overly effusive in my praise, I felt that we were a little rushed. They were busy, and clearly the waitstaff was not there to chit-chat. They were there to turn the tables.

• Visited July 2014

Boston
“Fun lunchtime outing”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

It seems that everyone who wants trendy lands at the Girl and the Fig. It's fun, casual, and the food is both interesting and good. We had a great cheese platter (loved the fig and nut spread with it), an OK flight of wines, and some good lunch food too. With so many places in Sonomo to choose, this is clearly one that is busy night and day.

Visited July 2014
Fairfield, California
“Summer Lunch”
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Great lunch restaurant,especially in the outdoor patio.service was efficient , professional, and helpful. The steak with frites was prepared as requested. The mussels were perfectly prepared. The wild flounder was perfectly cooked and presented. My wife and I will return.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Kathy B
nj
“Great Dinner”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This is one of the restaurants we decided to try while in Sonoma and we were not disappointed for sure. We made a reservation ahead of time and I think it's a good idea to do so because the restaurant was very busy already when we arrived arround 5:45 pm. Everything we ordered was very fresh and excellent. will definitely visit this place again if in the area.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank jyc823
Los Angeles
“Not worth going out of your way for”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I'm so bummed that my experience here was almost a complete disappointment. I came all the way from Los Angeles to eat here based on all the glowing reviews I read. The restaurant itself is very quaint, lively and very comfortable. I was very excited upon arrival. The hostess was pleasant and we were at 10 minutes early. We were off to a good start.

It took a few minutes for our server to greet us and she seems slightly aloof. She was nice enough, but her mannerisms and approach to customers was a bit odd. Wasn't enough to be off putting, just a bit weird.

I chose to start with the sparkling wine flight. Big mistake! So in my world, any champagne/sparkling wine should always be served very cold and in a flute to preserve the bubbles. What I was given were three interesting wide rimmed glasses that were quick to show that there were no bubbles flowing in any of them. That should have been my first clue to how the rest of the night was going to be.

Anyways, drink #1 was a concoction of house made fig liqueur and sparkling wine. It was warm by the time I was served it and tasted nothing like fig. It was pretty sad. You can't mix a room temp liqueur with something that must be served cold! It was not worth it. The other two sparkling samples were not cold either and almost flat due to the choice of glass they were served in. I would have been better off with some lemon slices in ice water honestly.

Next was the appetizers. I chose the goat cheese sampler. I was a bit leery of the Laura Chanel chevre because that was too easy to throw on. If you know about Laura Chanel, you know it's a Sonoma cheese which is nice, but it's about 15 years past it's cool factor. I can get that cheese at any grocery store for about $6. We were served the three goat cheese on a nice platter. They came with a fruit compote which was meh. Didn't add much to the dish and neither did the rather bland roasted nuts. The thing for me that killed the whole dish was the honey poured over the Laura Chanel. I hate honey! There was no mention of it on the menu. So I was down to a two cheese sampler which wasn't the most flavorful by any stretch.

Onward to the mussels. My husband ordered the half pound of pastis scented little slim balls. I don't eat them, but I always try the sauce they are steamed in. He was served a nice bowl of mussels and then about a minute later a huge portion of fries! It was really odd to be given such a huge amount of fries to accompany an appetizer. Really that would have been a main course. Anyways, he said the mussels were just ok. I tried the sauce and it was oddly sweet. I'm not sure that pastis is the best choice to steam mussels in.

The main courses: I had the basil pasta. I'll cut to the chase with this. I had to send it back. It totally lacked flavor, was very undercooked and was missing the Pecorino to add some saltiness. Handmade rolled pasta is tricky. You have to make sure it's cooked properly but not mush. This was hard in the center. The manager came over to apologize. I wish I would have read more Yelp reviews before ordering because this seems to be an issue with other diners as well.

The one dish that was passable was the chicken thighs with spatzle. I'm not typically a fan of chicken thighs because people don't know how to properly season and cook them, but these were done right. I can't say they were amazing, but tasty. The thing I enjoyed the most was the peppery spatzle. That ended up being my dinner.

We passed on dessert so I can't comment on that.

One thing that I do want to say about the service is that at least for us, it was so spotty and slow. There was a couple who was seated 5 minutes after us. They ordered an appetizer and entree. I noticed that they had a leftover box on their table before we were even served our entree.

I wish our experience had been so much better because I had really high hopes. I really wish I would have eaten somewhere else. I don't think I would choose to return.

• Visited June 2014