“Fun, informative, great wine”

Gundlach Bundschu Winery
Ranked #9 of 101 things to do in Sonoma
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: As the oldest family-owned winery in California, we specialize in making distinctive estate-grown wines and sharing them and our property in a warm, fun, unpretentious manner.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
San Rafael, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Fun, informative, great wine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

Cave tour was excellent, comfortable small group, entertaining, experienced guide, lovely casual grounds, pretty picnic area - we learned GunBun is the oldest winery in Sonoma remaining in original family ownership --- Go!

Visited January 2014

New York City, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Go on the vineyard tour!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

I specifically put Gundlach Bundschu on our Sonoma itinerary because of the vineyard tour - I was looking for something more than just another wine tasting, and that is exactly what you get. There is a lot of history to this place and real "family-owned" pride. Our guide was Rob Bundschu, who took a group of us out in the vineyard in a safari-like vehicle. We learned a lot about the grape growing & harvesting process and Gundlach Bundschu is particularly interesting in this respect because they grow more different types of grapes than your average place of its size. I honestly wasn't blown away by the wine itself (though my husband enjoyed it - different tastes!), but the experience was really something to remember.

Visited September 2013
Memphis, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Love the GunBun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

A visit to this long-time family-owned winery is a must. Their wines are some of the best and after my first tasting at the winery five years ago, I joined the Club. Twice a year I look forward to receiving shipments of delicious reds. Many of my friends have since visited and have joined the Club. Try a bottle of the cab or cab franc.

Visited April 2013
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A unique twist on wine country!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Toured here with a group (about 20-30 people) and it was soooo fun! I'm not sure if it was because there was so many of us but we had the whole place to ourselves! I had previously been to Napa (the dark side lol) and it's just a very different vibe. Classic and informational but still with a twist! We went on the trivia tour which was awesome! Staff is extremely fun and easy going! This is the place to ask questions if you have them! There are a lot of other unique tours offered and I hope to go back soon!

Visited November 2013
Naugatuck, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“One of the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

There are many wineries to visit in Sonoma and unless you have an unlimited amount of time, you can't see them all. This winery has it all. Great wine to sample, great chocolate in the tasting room in a comfortable setting.

Visited October 2013