“Love this place”
Review of Swiss Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sonoma
Swiss Hotel
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
Denver, Colorado
“Love this place”
Reviewed 20 January 2012

This place on Sonoma square is so charming. Very nice people and great location! The rooms were very nice.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank carabe520

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Glen Ellen, California
Reviewed 13 November 2011

We visited the Swiss Hotel Restaurant for lunch as it had a lot of curb appeal and an inviting and appealing environment. We were seated right away and received pleasant, if somewhat slow service. There were four people in our party, and only one of us found the food slightly better than terrible. I had the butter lettuce salad which was pretty much just that - butter lettuce which was soggy and drenched with water; another of our party ordered the beef stew (the day's special) and after ten minutes was informed that it was no longer available. In its place he ordered the minestrone - which, he said, tasted like Progresso, and was pretty disappointing. Another of us ordered the beet salad; again, a tiny serving of mostly lettuce, with a sad looking offering of four tiny pieces of beet around the edge of the lettuce. The fourth individual in our party ordered the eggplant sandwich which he said was not too bad.
It took an age for the food to arrive - our young, friendly and overworked waiter was very apologetic and brought endless bread baskets to placate.
Since three out of four of us had really disappointing food and the service was slow, we would not recommend the Swiss Hotel restaurant and will certainly not be going back!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank beachlife57
San Francisco
Reviewed 11 November 2011

I have only eaten there, so I can't comment on the rooms. But the hamburger, called the Juicy Lucy or something like that, is one of the best hamburgers I have ever had. (And I have driven to Holly Springs, Mississsippi to try what was once rated The Best Burger in the US.) Sit inside or out in the garden area, either place is nice, the service is good, and it's a great historic place to take your out of town guests.

Room Tip: You can eat out front on the street, but they let people smoke. Avoid it out front.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Elk Grove, CA
Reviewed 28 October 2011

So I only stayed here because I was told to be my family for my sister's wedding. I did not make the reservations or checked in. When I first got there, parking was not so great and I had to park in the back. Brought all my stuff through the restaurant to my room- awkward! The hotel is very cool for a history geek like me. I liked the old rooms. They are not fancy or super well appointed (they did have small fridges) or updated, but good size and unique, The restaurant and back patio are really nice and inviting. We had the rehearsal dinner out there and the venue was very nice. The food for that dinner was mediocre at best. Most of it I didn't care for. The next day we had lunch in the restaurant and it was much better. I had had a long week and looked forward to a night without chores, work, or homework. When I tried to sleep, I discovered the bar noise was HORRID. I had room #1, which had 3 windows and was in the front corner over the alley way and outside bar area. There was LITERALLY yelling and screaming for hours- until LAST CALL- like 1:30 AM. I talked to them about it and they said they tell people this when they check it and make reservations, which I did not. I had a horrible night's sleep. Next night- same thing. I don't know how people can feasible stay in a hotel like this. Pure torture!!! The next morning I overheard my dad talking to the manager about the fact that he had coachroaches in his room! He even brought them down to show her (the ones he killed anyway) since she was in disbelief. The next day, I was gone for a few hours (like 4) and came back at about 1:00 to get ready for the wedding. My room wasn't made up. The maid were in the hallway playing on their smart phones and doing their nails. Don't know why they couldn't do that somewhere else rather than right outside our room. Never seen that before. When I said to myself (the room isn't made up??) they over heard me and asked if I wanted it made up. Um, yeah! Most of my towels were on the floor, so yes. They had to wait since I need to get ready. When my daughter got her pretty flower girl dress on, she went to the hallway to go to see her friends in another room and the maids made comments to her. She felt uncomfortable and had to come back in. They might have been trying to say she was cute or something. But my daughter said they made faces and maid her "feel funny." Really inappropriate for hotel staff!! One positive note for customer service: they did give me a free bottle of red wine when I was trying to locate the empty one that was acidently taken (for a candle holder). Oh, and it wasn't that clean- long dark hair from the maidsI guess and something that looked like blood on a towel. One of the worst hotel stays I have ever had, though!

Room Tip: Um, another hotel unless you join the party at the bar!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank crackerjack74
b/wood
Reviewed 9 August 2011

If you are staying in San Francisco and want to visit an american small town then Sonoma is the place to go and the Swiss Hotel is the place to eat . The parking in the town square is easy , the other drivers courteous and the people friendly .The hotel restaurant inside and out superb , the food wonderful and the staff excellent . their house wine is very good, we bought a bottle home to celebrate our American vacation . Wish we could have brought a case back . And you can visit lots of vineyards or wineries as they are called on the way there and back just to top off a great day !

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We stayed here for a friend's wedding in the area and couldn't say enough great things about this hotel. Perfect location right on the Square, comfortable rooms, great restaurant. We were warned about the possibility for noise from the restaurant below but didn't hear a thing. Plus it's one of the only hotels in the area that doesn't require a 2 night minimum in the summer. Will definitely recommend this place to others!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2010

Better than expected! Cheap (as expected ) but clean, comfy bed, friendly reception staff, parking space we could see from our room and a midday checkout. Quality no-frills!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple