“Most unrelaxing, over-priced hotel I've ever stayed in”
Review of Swiss Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sonoma
Swiss Hotel
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
CA
“Most unrelaxing, over-priced hotel I've ever stayed in”
Reviewed 22 September 2009

As it sits in the middle of the Plaza, the location is great if you want to be in the center of Town. The hotel, however, for $240 a night was the worst money spent. The rooms, though it was spacious, was incredibly dated, the couches were stained, the cushions were stained, and had absolutely no character aside from the balcony which overlooked the Plaza. The bathroom was clean as well as the bed and the bedding.
The bar downstairs will keep you up until well past 2:00AM with its very loud and obnoxious music. There is absolutely no sound proofing, as it is a very old building. The dumpster got dumped well before 7:30AM - which is really very loud. For $240/night, it may be worth it for some to stay there for the location. Hotels in the area are all expensive, however, I would at least expect great service for that kind of money.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank traveler32103

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Reviewed 12 April 2009

We stayed here for one night and it suited our needs just fine. We had just traveled all day and needed a place to crash that was in a great location. Since the hotel is a very old building it had slanted floors in our room which added to the charcter. The view of the town square was great for people watching.

We had no problems with the noise since we were so tired. We fell right to sleep and were not bothered by the other people having a good time downtairs.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
London, UK
Reviewed 20 September 2008

I stayed here with a party of friends. We all had different rooms. Everyone complained about the noise. It was impossible to sleep. The front rooms were most affected by the bar and restaurant just underneath, the back rooms by the throb of the many boilers, air con units and heaters which operated seemingly all night. It was like being in the staff quarters of a cheap cruise ship.

The staff were indifferent and unfriendly and the breakfast was merely adequate.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed September 2008
1 Thank Ozkar
Rockaway Point, NY
Reviewed 9 June 2008

After having no reservation at The Sonoma Hotel (no record of our reservation even though I had the email in my hand), then staying one night at the El Dorado Hotel (wonderful place), my husband was able to book us a room at the Swiss Hotel for two nights. Hoping to stay at the El Dorado for the three nights, the Swiss Hotel told us that if a room became available, our deposit would be refunded. No room became available and we stayed at the Swiss Hotel. The room was lovely and clean. But the nicest part about this hotel was the attitude and helpfulness of the staff (just like the El Dorado). These people could not be nicer. We were very pleased with the room and felt very fortunate that we were able to stay there. Great experience.

• Liked — Helpfulness of staff and lovely room
  • Disliked — We liked everything.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank mtodd003
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 October 2007

This is our second time in two years at the Swiss Hotel in Sonoma. We like the location and the rooms are very large. The staff is very friendly and it is a family-run hotel (for I believe over 100 years). Hank was very helpful as was anyone working at the little reception desk. We've stayed in rooms 4 and 5, which are the only ones that have private doors to the hotel's large balcony (any guest may use). Room 4 is bright and cheery with a separate sitting area. Room 5 is dark and needs a little more brightness. Be aware that it can be noisy at night as the rooms are over the bar and outside dining area for the bar (the hotel restaurant is towards the rear of the hotel). We like the proximity to walking to restaurants after a long day of driving through wine country. The rooms need a bit of updating and the towels are old and hard on the skin. Having stayed here twice, we surely do like it, but I think after two visits we're ready for a new experience.

• Stayed October 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Ruebrezin
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 August 2007

I walked around the downtown square and saw this hotel. I walked in asked for room and was told they had one left at a rate of $150. I asked to see the room before and was told that it's #1 at the top of the stairs. The staircase was old and uneven (as the sign warns you) and I was very surprised to find a bright, sunny, modern room with all the amenties you'd expect.
I LOVED the bar downstairs and the staff were all friendly and helpful. The food was very good in the restaurant. Grab a table outside and watch the town walk by you. I seriously want to retire and move into one of the room upstairs. There's only 5 rooms in the hotel! I want one of them.

Stayed August 2007
4 Thank conciergeinnewyork
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 1 August 2007

We did not stay at the hotel - we just popped in for something to eat in the early evening. The waiting staff and the ambience were fine but the food was awful. My capellini with tomatoes was absolutely tasteless and watery. Adding salt in desperation made no difference. My partner's lasagna was equally tasteless with no seasoning whatsoever. We chose wine from their recommended list - no pleasure in that either. We had travelled all around Napa and and had great food. The Swiss Hotel was really awful - I would not eat there again if I was starving.

Stayed July 2007