“Best value for money”

Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
Reviewed 30 July 2008

In July we did a three-week tour across Western US (Wyoming, Montana, Califoornia), and among the nine hotels we stayed in, the Sonoma Valley Inn was among the best. The room was very spacious for a family of four; it had all the amenities you need (fridge, coffee machine, etc.). The hotel had a nice courtyard in which we had breakfast and it is within a short walking distance from Sonoma plaza. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The price was a very good deal for a family of four.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 July 2008

A friend recommended this hotel after hearing about its recent renovations. She couldn't have given me a better tip for helping me book an elegant, but budget-conscious hotel. Upon checking-in, we were escorted to a beautiful room with 2 queen beds. I had requested a King, informed the front desk, and was upgraded to a Jacuzzi suite because no King beds were available. For a budget hotel, it felt very close to staying at a luxury hotel. The landscaping is beautiful, it's in the heart of Sonoma, within walking distance to local restuarants, the Plaza, and the bike trail. Save your money for purchasing wines! I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2008

I stayed here with my little dog. It was the best. The front desk knew the name of my dog and greeted us every day. The courtyard was wonderful. We were able to get food at Whole Foods across the street and eat outside with the dog. Everything we wanted we got promptly. Very nice place expecially with a dog. There was even an area in the back with grass and poop bags.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 June 2008

We've stayed at this hotel twice. It's certainly not fancy, but the inner courtyard/pool area is nice. Both times we've stayed in a ground floor room with direct access to that courtyard, which was much appreciated on our most recent stay during a heat wave. But the best part of the hotel is probably the location since it's within easy walking distance of downtown Sonoma's shops, restaurants, etc. We've also stayed at the nearby Inn at Sonoma-- a nicer hotel with a FAR better breakfast but no pool there.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 May 2008

This hotel needs a big freshening up, both in decor and management. We were in Sonoma for a wedding and a block of rooms were reserved in advance for wedding guests. We stayed at the hotel for four nights.

Once we had our reservations, our intitial contact with the front desk was by phone to try and find transportation from San Fransisco airport for some of the elderly wedding guests. The staff could not have been less helpful if they had tried, given that we subsequently learned that there was a door to door shuttle twice a day. Their indifference did not impress us. The hotel does not have an elevator (not their fault ) and when we asked if they could switch a room for one on the ground floor for our elderly friends, they were told that it would be an upgrade and a price increase. No effort was even made to help them get their bags to their room. We carried their bags and helped them up the stairs while the front desk staff stood and watched.

Our room was perfectly acceptable. It was clean, with decent amenities - the bed was very comfortable.

Housekeeping was as described in a previous review - not much - the bed was barely made each day - one day the pillows were put back on the bed, the next day they were on the couch when we came in. One day all the lights were turned on while we were out? The housekeeping staff were individually very pleasant, just badly trained.

The front desk staff as a whole were not friendly nor helpful in the least - with one exception; a lovely young lady named Kendall.

We did not use the pool area, but it looked very nice. There was a pool, sauna and a hot tub, and at night the was a patio fireplace with a fire.

Skip the less than appetizing room service breakfast and head over to The Hungry Bear across the street for a real breakfast.

The best thing about this place is the location; two blocks from the main square and the center of town where there were lots of fun restaurants and shops.

We would not recommend this to our friends.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank janvt
Reviewed 8 May 2008

I've done my fair share of traveling over the years, and this place had the worst housekeeping of any hotel that I've ever stayed in! They didn't change the sheets, just made the bed (there was no option like a card requesting "no sheet change" that I've seen in other hotels so they can save on water). I got toothpaste in the sink, which was not cleaned up; they didn't clean out the tub after my showers; and one or more towels/washcloths/bathmats were missing on a daily basis. I had to call down to the front desk after I got back to my room late one night and request the missing linens. Also, I had a light bulb burn out on the night table; I had to go to the front desk 2 days in a row to get it replaced. The Continental breakfast was just OK. Some people might like the fact that it's delivered to your room, but since they do it that way, you can't get anything hot like toast or waffles. Overall, it was a convenient place for me to stay, but I wouldn't highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank smilepower
Reviewed 27 April 2008

Average hotel lodgings. Stayed in room with 2 queen beds on ground floor. Rooms were clean and well-kept.

However, certain staff members need to be retrained in customer service. There was a mixed-up with the breakfast order and when it was promptly brought to the staff member's attention, was abruptly told "I'm very busy now; I only deliver what my schedule says; and I'll get back to you when I done with my deliveries". Later, received call from same staff woman who insisted that she only delivered what was on her schedule despite the fact that an error had been made (on their part). Instead of acknowledging that possibility that the order had been recorded wrong and offering to immediately correct the problem in a pleasant manner, she bickered with me some more before reluctantly and unprofessionally agreeing to remedy the situation. Would probably not stay here again, and less likely to recommend to others.

Stayed: April 2008