“Are you in the Hospitality Business or Hostage Business?”

Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
Reviewed 10 December 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Scott B

Reviewed 10 December 2013

I have to say I have never been more disappointed in a hotel than I was this place. I had traveled to Sonoma and had not yet booked my hotel. I was visiting with some friends at a local winery and they suggested I stay here as I normally stay at The Lodge but the price was elevated due to my last minute booking. We looked on line at the winery and rooms were available for $129 per night. The winery got busy so I decided to book later which I did on my iPhone. Unfortunately I accidentally booked for the wrong night which I caught when the confirmation email came over some 30 seconds later. I immediately called the 800 number and said I made the mistake. Their response....Sorry there is nothing that can be done. I asked for a supervisor explained my problem, same story... you made the mistake you are out of luck. She finally suggested that I stop by the hotel and see if they could help. I drove straight there. It has now been 15 minutes since I made my booking mistake. I walk in the lobby and explained my problem. The young lady behind the desk says.... let me take a look. She says yes I see the mistake you are booked for tomorrow night not tonight. She said I can make that change for you....I'm thinking great....wrong! She says they are pretty booked up so the only rate she can give me is $269. Now...I was just on line at the winery some 2 hours before where the $129 rate was showing available. At this point I am completely at their mercy. Either get fleeced out of another $140 or throw away the $129. I went ahead and took the beating of the $269. I get to the room to see the awesome particle board furniture and nest of a bed. Now I'm pissed off more than I already was. In retrospect I should have spent the $229 to stay at The Lodge and not been abused. Lesson learned for me. But I can promise you I will never stay at this property or any other Best Western property again. I believe they have missed out on understanding what it is like to be in the hospitality business. More focused on the hostage business.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Scott B
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This is considered a Best Western Plus but we've stayed at better Best Western Plus hotels. For the area, it's inexpensive and maybe that's why it was so packed on a Sunday night! Though there is a pool, hot tub and steam room, we did not use them (it was in the low 20s at night!). The rooms were farily spacious and had "real" fireplaces but we weren't allowed to use ours due to "spare the air day." The heating system was not working correctly, the bathroom sink was slow draining and, for some inexplicable reason, there was not light outside our entrance way. The room had a min-fridge which was nice but no microwave. The complimentary breakfast is pretty typical for Best Westerns. The staff was friendly. Kleenix tissue paper very rough on the nose. No elevator so be sure to ask for the lower level if you have mobility problems. It's got a nice location -- only a five-minute walk to Sonoma Plaza and there is a shopping area right across the street that has a Whole Foods, CVS Pharmacy and several other stores.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
KendallC929, General Manager at Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear HerculesWendy,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our property. I am sorry to hear of your concerns about our property. We take pride in our Best Western Plus standards and want our guests to see this. I am sorry to hear that the weather was cold during your stay. I must agree that this cold period that we have had recently has not been enjoyable for us either. I am sorry to hear that you were visiting us on a “spare the air day” as well. “Spare the Air” days were established by the “Bay Area Air Quality Management District” and are required by law. Unfortunately, we have no control over “Spare the Air” days and the alert can be given with very little notice. We hope that you will give us another chance in the future so you are able to enjoy our fireplaces.
I am very sorry to hear that the heating system was not working correctly and the sink not draining correctly, and in the future I encourage you to notify the front desk of any problem like this. We would have sent over a maintenance person to address and fix these problems immediately, and if this is not possible, we would be happy to move you to a room that is in full working order. Again, I am sorry for the issues, and encourage you to contact a staff member immediately in the future.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our location. It is convenient to be located just a block from the plaza with so many activities at your finger tips. Despite the issues that you experienced, I hope that you will consider staying at our property in the future as we would love to have you!

Reviewed 6 December 2013

One block from the central square of historic Sonoma. Allows you to stroll around the quaint shops, eateries and galleries then return and relax in front of your room's fireplace or soak in the hot tub. Wine tasting, chocolate and cheese tasting all within walking distance or a short drive to nearby wineries. If travelling by car-shop at the Boulangerie for fresh bread/pastries and the cheese shop on the square to make a picnic at one of the wineries. Great free breakfast, friendly staff, great value. The hotel provides a perfect location to explore the intimate little town of Sonoma.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear OttawaSunshinesseeker,
Thank you for your wonderful review. I am so happy to hear that your enjoyed your time in the plaza. The shopping, galleries, wine tasting and dining is both convenient and enjoyable, just minutes from our property. I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy your fireplace and the hot tub on our property. They are the perfect way to warm up during the winter months!
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast. We try to provide a huge selection of items that will cater to all of our guests.
I am so delighted to hear that my staff was friendly and I hope that we were able to help you with all of your needs.
I hope that you can return to the Sonoma Valley Inn again soon!

Reviewed 4 December 2013

A block from the Plaza without costing an arm and a leg.
After a hard afternoon of window shopping and wine tasting to stroll back an put your feet up before strolling back to the Plaza for dinner is my idea of great. And maybe best of all after dinner and more wine there is no driving. Just a short pleasant stroll.
It's winter so I have no comment about the pool or hot tub but they looked nice.
I like staying at Best Westerns if they are available. The rooms are always clean and fresh, spacious and comfortable. In a sense it's like McDonald's, no surprises.
The Sonoma Valley Inn actually had a very good breakfast with multiple choices, not the usual plastic wrapped day old buns and weak coffee. Something new to me was, of all things, a pancake machine. Press the button and out comes a fresh made pancake.
Anyway, we were very pleased with our stay and will return.
TIP: Shop around for rates when you plan your trip. There are two nights for the price of one every so often.

Room Tip: Go for the garden view 2nd floor
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
KendallC929, General Manager at Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear oldjgw,
Shopping and wine tasting are right up my alley too! I’m glad to hear that you had a nice stay with us and were able to enjoy our close proximity to the Plaza. There are so many wonderful shops , winery tasting rooms and great restaurants to choose from. The hardest part is to decide which ones to visit!
I am pleased to hear that you usually choose the Best Westerns and that we were able to meet your expectations of the brands consistency.
I’m glad that you enjoyed the pancake maker. Its pretty neat how easy it is to use. We just recently also added fresh oatmeal.
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and We look forward to having you stay with us again.
Happy Holidays

Reviewed 3 December 2013

2MovingTheChi.com decided to overnight in Sonoma and check out the wine country on the way back from Northern California.

Our research landed us at the Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn. It is located downtown, within easy walking distance to shops and wine tasting venues.

The motel lobby is spacious and the staff at the desk was courteous, polite and helpful. After reviewing room options, we selected a ground floor room that opens to the courtyard with a fireplace. After entering the room, we decided to forgo the fireplace and opt for a less expensive 2nd floor room and were happy we did. The ground floor room was very dark and the fireplace is not gas, but has one artificial paper log to burn. We did not like the darkness (no view of any kind) and the extra money to burn one paper log was not worth it.

Our second floor room (#213) was at the rear of the building on the corner. It is spacious with two full walls of window (we love the light). Although the carpets could use a good steam cleaning, it was clean and comfortable. As you enter, there is a closet to the left with a safety box for computers and valuables. The king bed room is a large square space with a built-in kitchenette (small refrigerator, microwave, two small stovetop electric burners and a sink. There is a desk and chair, a large LG flat panel television with pay movies, two chairs with a corner table, and two bedside tables and lamps. The two walls of windows are great for light, though not much for views. This room has an individual remote controlled heating/cooling unit which is quiet and does not blow directly on the bed.

The bath’s toilet and whirlpool tub with shower close off from the sink and vanity. Plenty of hot water and very good water pressure.

There is a Whole Foods and CVS store across the street. Many restaurants within easy walking distance and the motel serves a nice FREE breakfast in their conference center building each morning from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Plenty of FREE parking around the motel.

We were just here for the night, but it was quiet and comfortable. We would return and would ask for this specific room again.

Be sure to bring your cork screw when visiting Sonoma or Napa.

2MovingTheChi.com have been traveling since April, first through the U.S., then three months in Southeast Asia and currently back in the U.S. Our travel blog can be found at 2MovingTheChi.comn

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear 2MovingTheChi,

Fortunately for us, your research landed you at our hotel! Room 213 is also one of my favorite rooms because of how much light there is. That is actually one of our Standard rooms and all of those room types on the second floor are all located in the corners and have really big windows with lots of light!

We will be doing some pretty big renovations this winter. We are putting new carpeting in the rooms and adding new granite counter tops and vanities to all of the bathrooms in our main building. So when you return that room will have a new carpet.
I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast. We are always trying new things and looking at ways to improve.

We are very fortunate for our location. Downtown Sonoma and the Plaza is not only conveniently laid out but it is also quite charming! I am really glad that you had a nice trip and a good experience here with us.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel!

Happy Holidays!
Kendall Comfort
PS – FYI for your next trip – we do have some corkscrews in the lobby.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Stayed in the Best Western in Sonoma, located just a block and 1/2 off the plaza. Great location. Price was less than other similar hotels in the area. Friendly staff, more than comfortable rooms. There is a small fitness room, in addition to a pool and sauna. Also noted they have a free (for guests only) laundry room.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
KendallC929, General Manager at Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Judi C,

Thank you for your nice review of our hotel. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us. I sincerely hope we will have another opportunity to have you stay with us again

Kendall Comfort

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonoma
El Pueblo Inn
Ledson Hotel
Ledson Hotel
#6 of 11 in Sonoma
Best Western Plus Elm House Inn

Been to Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center? Share your experiences!