“Fantastic suite”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic suite”
Reviewed 11 October 2008

We stayed in room 321 for two nights. We had the nicest suite I remember ever staying in (including roms for three times this price of GBP£112 including tax - about US$180 I think).

The suite was very spacious, clean and pleasantly decorated. The room had a good lounge area with coffee maker, fire place, tv, fridge and sink. The bed was huge and extremely comfortable and there was another TV which you could also watch from the (big jacuzzi) bath if you wanted! The shower room had two shower heads (very cosy) and there were two his 'n' hers sinks in front of a huge mirror.

There was an outdoor balcony with chair and sun lounger, although we didn't use this area as the view wasn't great and we don't smoke.

The breakfast was delivered to our room but wasn't great. You could choose one drink (coffee, tea, apple juice, orange juice), one pastry/cereal (muffin or cereal), a piece of fruit (apple, orange or banana) and a boiled egg. I gave my breakfast to my husband as it just wasn't enough for him and on the second day we went out and had a second breakfast as we were still hungry!

There is wi-fi in the room (free i think) and also one computer with free internet access in the reception for quick queries.

The inn is very close to the main square, only a 5 minute walk and the room was quiet. There are plenty of nice places to eat nearby. We particularly enjoyed the Meritage Oyster Bar & Grill, although it wasn't particularly cheap.

The breakfast was a minor point and I would definitely stay here again in the same type of room.

Stayed October 2008
2 Thank BananaK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Finnish first
Maynooth, Ireland
Reviewed 2 October 2008

We found the Sonoma Valley Inn on Tripadvisor, and as usual were not disappointed. It is centrall located for the Sonoma restaurants just off the main plaza. Our room was very big and really comfortable. It felt more like a suite than room. The pool and jacuzzi were great. Having bike hire on site as also a plus - and a great way to see the wineries. The only comment I'd make (as I think others have) is that the complimentary breakfast isn't up to much (polestyrene cups... need I say more!). That's not a real down side, however, given that there are loads of very good breakfast places within 2 minutes walk.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable rooms in a central location
  • Disliked — breakfast
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank lorna1972
Everett, Washington
Reviewed 2 October 2008

My boyfriend and I (both in our early 40s) stayed two nights during a recent road trip vacation from Seattle to southern California! The Valley Inn was perfect us! The rooms were clean and spacious. We also enjoyed the location of being within walking distance to the plaza.

• Liked — Location
san diego
Reviewed 28 September 2008

This place is nicer than one would expect for a Best Western - it's still a motor hotel type accommodation, but you can tell they've tried to upgrade here and there.

Probably one of the nicest features is it's location. It's right across the not very busy street to a shopping center with a Whole Foods and other convenient type stores. Also, the town square is just a block or so away. So you can walk to both convenient and necessary shopping, and also the restaurants and nice shops in the square area. Also, several tasting rooms are around the square. Sonoma is pretty low key, so it's not like you're in an urban setting. Also, it felt pretty safe. You can also rent bikes right at the hotel and head out for a ride on quiet streets, bike trails and go wine tasting. The bike riding in the Sonoma town area seems like it was way safer than out in the country with the busy, narrow and twisting roads.

The rooms would be a bit cramped for a family - not alot of dresser or closet space. First floor rooms have direct walkout access to the very nice courtyard area - nicely land and hard-scaped with a small pool. But if you're more of a late sleeper, you run the risk of all the stomping around on the second floor - so request which floor you want based on these issues.

The price was obscene - we paid $300 for a Friday and Saturday night - should have paid more like $150. The morning "breakfast" is free, and appropriately priced.

If you go wine tasting, don't forget to stop by the front desk for promotions - they'll set you up with discounts or 2-4-1 tastings.

Don't underestimate how bad the traffic can be, although Napa is much worse than Sonoma. If you stay in Sonoma, there's not much need to go very far. It's beautiful and you'll probably love the area.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Too Expensive
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank tonyk
Vermont
Reviewed 25 September 2008

When I made my reservation, I was skeptical because of the low rate, but I decided to rely on the past reviews and give Sonoma Valley Inn a try. This place is a wonderful value for the money. It is walking distance to the best restaurants in Sonoma and you could even walk to a couple of old wineries in Sonoma. Although our reservation was for a regular room, we were upgraded to a suite in the back of the property which was wonderful. The suite had a separate sitting area and a Jacuzzi tub which we enjoyed. The rooms are a bit dated, but very clean and we found the staff extremely helpful and welcoming. We were given many coupons for free wine tastings in the area and given great suggestions for places to eat and things to do. My only regret is that we only had 2 nights at Sonoma Valley Inn.

• Liked — Value, Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
Reviewed 26 August 2008

This was the nicest Best Western I've ever seen, so much so that I figured it must have been a more upscale hotel before it became a BW (it was not). Rooms were huge, clean, and ours had a fireplace. Most had terraces overlooking the very nicely landscaped pool and hottub area in the courtyard. Also a firepit and tables and chairs out there that some guests used for reading, enjoying a glass of wine, etc. Breakfast was your basic continental style, but you call the night before and they deliver to your room in the morning at no charge, which I thought was a nice touch.

My biggest concern in booking a room in wine country was being close enough to restaurants so I could enjoy my dinner and be able to walk home, and the BW is two short blocks from Sonoma's plaza, where there are a number of restaurants and bars. This was a perfect location and a great hotel! You can't beat it for about $140 a night. I did a search for "Best Western Coupons" on google and got a code for 20% off. Enjoy!

• Liked — Location, size of rooms, lush courtyard/ pool area
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
boston
Reviewed 24 August 2008

While there is little for families in Wine Country, this hotel was a nice surprise. The overall feeling was kind of upscale downscale if that makes sense. In other words, they did their best to give a Best Western a spa vibe. The room was very nice, albeit tight for a family of 4. The pool was small, but adequate. The concierge was very limited in his knowledge of local activities for kids and made me feel like I was the only person who ever asked for this. I had to do my own digging. Luckily, I had done my Trip Advisor homework and knew of the Castello de Amorosa (excellent, by the way) and Safari West (also excellent.)

Stayed August 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonoma
El Pueblo Inn
Ledson Hotel
Ledson Hotel
#5 of 11 in Sonoma
Best Western Plus Elm House Inn

Been to Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center? Share your experiences!