“Not a Recommended place to stay”

BEST WESTERN Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
Tomball, Texas
“Not a Recommended place to stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We wanted a place in the middle of town so that we could walk to most of the things we wanted to see. For that, this is the perfect place to stay. Other than that, I would not go back there. I rented two rooms, one for my two adult daughters and a suite for my wife and I. When we got there we found out that the suites were in a completely different building across the back parking lot. it seemed like it was almost a different hotel. We got to the building to find that our room was on the second floor, just by exploring becuse we could find no sign toindicate where it might be. We had been in California for a week so our bags were large and heavy. There is no elevator to the second floor! you have to "schlub" your bags up the stairs to your room. The room was nice, but by the time got everything up there we were not very happy. Getting ready for be, I noticed a large spider crawling across the wall headed for our bed. I took care of him, but I was very fortunate that my wife hadn't seen it or we would have been looking for another place to stay. In the morning we found out that one of my daughters actually had 2 spiders IN her bed. This is not what we go on vacation for and it completely ruined our great day and all the fun we had in Sonoma. We quickly headed over to Napa...

Room Tip: If you are traveling with a group and you want to be somewhat together, choose either Standard rooms...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dlc143
KendallC929, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Dlc143,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very sorry to hear that you did not have a pleasant experience in your stay with us. I am also very surprised that the front desk did not give you a room locator and offer directions to your room and the location of our breakfast room at check in. I apologize as it is our usual procedure to offer directions to the room along with a room locator. Unfortunately we do not have an elevator and recommend that guests request a first floor either when they make a reservation or when they arrive. I know we were very full this past weekend so I am very sorry if we were unable to move you to a different room type or into a room that would have been closer to your daughters. I am also sorry that you encountered some spiders. Being that we are in the country side we do unfortunately encounter them. We do our very best to keep out unwanted visitors and encourage out guests to call the front desk immediately should they have a problem or an issue so that we can address it as quickly as possible.

Again, thank you for your review and I am sorry your stay was not a pleasant one.

Kendall Comfort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Finnish first
Summit, Mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed in the Best Western Sonoma Valley while passing thru. The hotel is very well maintained with a very pleasant, helpful staff. The square is in easy walking distance. The breakfast was adequate and the pool, garden area well maintained. If you are in Sonoma Valley, and on a smaller budget, as we are, this is a very good choice.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
KendallC929, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Eccl5v18,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking time out of your day to share your experiences at our property. I am delighted to hear that you felt our property was beautiful and that our staff was pleasant. We take our guest relationships very seriously and always love to hear when our guests are happy.
Thank you again for your wonderful review and we hope that you will come back to Sonoma and stay with us again soon.

Nevada City, Ca.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

What's not to like. Great staff, terrific location where you just walk around the corner to the village square. A full breakfast, outdoor whirlpool and swimming pool, outdoor tables and a great PRICE. You can pay a lot more but why would you. This has everything you need at a price you can afford

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear SgtMack,
Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. I am so glad that you enjoyed our location, our property and our breakfast! I am delighted to hear that you loved your stay and for a great price.
Thank you again for your kind review and we hope to see you again soon.
San Rafael, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

This Best Western location is what I consider a motel - front door to the room opens to outside parking areas or driveways - so I was a bit disappointed in the overall setting, especially because the Best Western website calls this location a "hotel" and my expectation was set a bit high. (Plus the room was $400 for Saturday night because busy weekend and hotels in the area were sold out.) Splitting hairs? Maybe. But I wanted to share that up front for people traveling from out of town as I was pretty surprised when we pulled in. However, for a motel it was a pleasant surprise. My ground floor room was clean, spacious and had a fireplace. Sliding door in room opened up to a little enclosed room patio with a low wall/gate that opened into a larger, shared courtyard with umbrella'd seating areas, jacuzzi and swimming pool. Front desk staff was extremely helpful and nice. Plus it's only a two-block walk to the square and across street from Whole Foods. I'd stay there again (it grew on me) but not at the high rate we paid...regular rate is around $250 and I think for the area it's worth it. My sister and I stayed in the room together, she runs a little lakeside resort in another state so she did the "white glove" inspection of the room (including looking for pests) and she gave it a thumbs up on cleaning (although there was some stuff under the bed from a previous visitor). Only downside related to my stay was that people on the floor above us had a dog which they apparently left alone and it barked for an hour or two Saturday evening. I'm not sure how the staff handles that type of situation.

Room Tip: Ground floor opens to courtyard, was nice to step out of room onto patio/pool area.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Sandee M,

Thank you for your review. I was very pleased that upon check in you found our guest service agents to be helpful and friendly and your room to be clean and a pleasant surprise. We are very fortunate to be so close to the Historic Plaza.

I am very sorry that the dog in the room above you was barking. I’m sure that must have been very annoying. When guests with pets check in we do give them a copy of our pet policies which do state that pets are not to be left unattended or create a nuisance to other guests. We also suggest for our other guests to contact us if there is any type of noise problem or complaint and we will contact the pet owner immediately.

I am so glad that you and your sister enjoyed our hotel and I do truly hope that you will stay with us again.

Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

This Best Western is a great place to stay if you are wine tasting in the various regions of Napa and Sonoma counties. Very near the great and under-visited Carneros region. The SVI has a good (not great) but very edible breakfast offering, that will save you time and money. I recommend staying in the back, downstairs - ask for room 115 - it is in the rear corner of the property and you can park right near the door, making loading and unloading easy. I would give them a higher rating if there was a microwave oven in the room. Right across the street is a Whole Foods store that has great things to eat, prepared and ready for your meal.... Pet friendly but they want 35 bucks a night for fido, so you might consider leaving your beloved pet at home or in a kennel for the same or lower price.

Room Tip: ask for a room downstairs in the back.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear SactoDiner,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel! You are very right about the Carneros Region! Its such a lovely area that is not as well-known with some really great wineries and the very fun and interesting Cornerstone Gardens.

We love when our guests bring their four legged friends with them. The addition $35 pet fee is so that we can thoroughly clean the room for our other guests that do not have furry companions and may perhaps have allergies

We do have some rooms with microwaves and are looking in to adding more. I do sincerely hope that when you return to Sonoma you will stay with us again and request a room with a microwave.

Thank you again for choosing Sonoma Valley Inn and I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay

Cincinnati, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

This hotel is very conveniently located in downtown Sonoma. We walked 2 short blocks to the square, where a wonderful farmer's market with live entertainment is held on Tuesdays. We really enjoyed the hotel's courtyard area, which included a pool, hot tub and fire pit and umbrella tables. Breakfast was included. A really nice touch was an in-room fireplace, ready to go with a log and simple instructions. We had a delightful mother-daughter getaway to wine country!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

KendallC929, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear JimandClara,
I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience while staying with us. Our location is perfect for enjoying our downtown plaza, and the Farmer’s Market is a wonderful weekly event! I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed our courtyard area. Our Garden Courtyard is a beautiful area for our guests to swim and relax.
I am also glad that you liked your in-room wood burning fireplace. It offers a relaxing ambiance that cannot be replaced.
I am so glad that your getaway was enjoyable and we hope that you will come back again soon!
Thank you again for your review.
San Francisco, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

The best thing about this hotel is the location. The pros - room was really clean; nice courtyard (even though there is a pool, it never really got too noisy), I like having screens on the doors which allows you to keep the door/window open for fresh air. The cons - no flexibility in regards to later check-out; breakfast finishes too early to allow for a sleep in, (so while it was included in the price, we didn't get the chance to eat there even once); "transactional" check-in - no real genuine customer service; lumpy old mattresses; nice to have a refrigerator..but not right under the sink - left very little room to do something simple like brush your teeth!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Anja P,
Thank you for your review. I am so happy to hear of the details that you enjoyed including our beautiful garden courtyard and our clean and comfortable rooms.
I am sorry to hear about the cons of your trip. Unfortunately, our late checkout times are dictated by how busy we are. However, we always want to make all of our guests happy and attempt to try to accommodate requests as possible. I am also sorry to hear that our breakfast hours did not work for you. Our hours are 7am to 10am but we are always open to suggestions and you may contact our Management anytime with your input.
I hope that you will give us another try and stay with us in the future. Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review and we hope to see you again.
Kendall Comfort
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonoma
El Pueblo Inn
Ledson Hotel
Ledson Hotel
#5 of 11 in Sonoma
BEST WESTERN PLUS Elm House Inn

Been to BEST WESTERN Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center? Share your experiences!