“Great hotel, Best Location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center

BEST WESTERN Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
Vancouver, Canada
“Great hotel, Best Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2009

Spent two nights here as a base for wine touring, Very nice little Inn only 2 short blocks from the town square. Fireplace in room, very clean, breakfast delivered to room, quite basic but along the lines of what you receive at other similar properties. Really neat little courtyard with a pool and hottub. Very friendly, helpfull staff particularly the fellow at the front desk who usually is on the phone making reservations! Only drawback was that the Hottub was very dirty and the birds in the courtyard poop by the Hot tub and no one seems to clean it up! Overal a good stay Would reccomend it!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Redrock55

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Finnish first
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2009

We loved our one night stay; got a very large first floor room with fireplace, roomy bathroom and vanity, convenient location, and decent price for mid-week. The breakfast wasn't much, but it was included in price and was a decent snack. I loved that it had a fitness room and a laundry (no charge for 2 big washers and dryers---just buy the detergent) even tho' dryers were very slow to dry. Free wi-fi included. Nice little pool in courtyard. King bed was very comfy. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2009

I spent one night here and paid, including tax, $255.17. I’ll start with the negatives and go from there. First, I have a pet peeve with hotels that charge extra for an in-room safe, especially when I didn’t use it. However, while this charge was broken out on my bill ($1.95/day) it was included in the total that was quoted to me when I reserved the room so no reason to complain.

The continental breakfast: I noticed that other reviewers loved it but I have to disagree, however that probably comes down to personal taste. There is an in-room coffee maker and frankly it made terrible coffee. The problem with the continental breakfast is that you have to decide what you want and when you want it the night before and call it in. And I’m just not someone who wants to eat a stone cold muffin in my room with bad coffee.

The room itself: for a moderate hotel it’s a good enough room. Good size. I had asked for a quiet room so ended up with an upstairs room and heard very little outside noise. I was up and going relatively early the next morning, good thing as a couple of motorcycles cranked up a little later and then someone’s car alarm went off for a couple of minutes. Not the hotel’s fault. I will say that the air conditioner is one of those window unit types that has been built into the wall; if you’re a light sleeper you’re going to hear the compressor cutting in and out all night long.

Those are the bad things, now the rest of the story. First, while I didn’t care for the continental breakfast, it was a quick five minute walk to the square and there are several places to choose from for breakfast. The key phrase here is: “five minute walk to the square”. The location is great, the square is great. We walked to breakfast, we walked to dinner, we walked around being tourists.

The people at the front desk couldn’t have been nicer. The only coupons we got were the ones printed on our room keys for a couple of the wineries but that wasn’t important. They did offer brochures and maps, which was helpful.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank travelman1370
Folsom, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2009

Stayed at this hotel after reading about it in Fun with Family in N CA book. We were impressed!! The room was large and comfortable. The fireplace was a nice touch. We had a room with a patio out to the beautiful court yard. My young kids and I had a great time in the beautiful gazebo hot tube. The pool was heated but not enough to get in. Complimentary breakfast delivered to the room was great with young kids. Location was great - just 2 blocks from the downtown square of Sonoma. Hotel was near Traintown which is why we went to Sonoma.

Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2009

We stayed at this hotel for the location near all the wineries and Napa Valley.
Our room was spacious and quiet, breakfast is served in your room which is great because we took time to plan our wineries visit in our pj's.
We had a great room with the courtyard/ pool area and it was quiet.

The front desk lady was very nice and helped us with our questions about the valley and gave us tips about getting around.
Its also located near the heart of Sonoma, so you can choose from great restaurant ( we ate at this Thai restaurant and it was amazing)
Since Sonoma is near Napa, the hotel is located near the main road so you can better acces all of your favorite wineries.

Since my husband is a chef, we also had to stop at Greystoke at the Culinary institute.
We visited the valley for two days and wish that the Canadian/ American customs would allow us to bring more wines because we made amazing discoveries.
We had a great time and we discovered soo much.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Atascadero, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2009

We stayed one night on 2/7/09 (Saturday). We got a great deal on Orbitz, plus a web discount, so I think we paid $125 total. I know the regular rate is closer to $175+. This hotel is in a great location. Very close to the center of the old downtown with lots of stores and restaurants within walking distance. The Whole Foods across the street is great. There’s also a local coffee shop across the street and a 7-11. The Black Bear Dinner was closed due to a fire. But it didn’t look like too much damage. We ate dinner at the Red Grape Italian restaurant a few blocks toward town and it was very good.

When we checked in, the clerk was very helpful with info and restaurant recommendations. A room was available for us early, which was nice. The room was on the ground floor, close to the lobby (135). We didn’t hear any lobby or street noise, but we did hear A LOT of thumping from the room above. Luckily, the person went to bed early. I would recommend a second floor room like others on this site have. Our room was large and clean and a good price for the area. It was a little more “upscale” than I expected (nice pillows on the bed, plenty of towels, etc.) for a lower-end chain hotel. Nothing fancy, but better than a Motel 6 and 1/3 of the price of many of the hotels in the area!

The continental breakfast was convenient to have delivered to your room. I liked that. I’d rather eat in my own room and watch TV in my PJs than have to get ready and try to find a seat with a bunch of other hotel guests. Yes, it’s simple fare, but at least it’s something to get you going in the morning. The apricot muffin was really good. I wondered if it came from Whole Foods. The hotel provides one small fire log. We brought another so it made a longer-lasting fire. Wine glasses and a corkscrew are provided.

We didn’t check out the hot tub or any of the outside areas of the hotel. We kept our exploring to the town.

On Sat, we toured the HGTV Dream Home (which was our reason for visiting Sonoma). It was a lot fun. The next day, we went to Santa Rosa for the SafariWest wild animal preserve tour. It was cold and rainy, but still a really neat experience. I recommend it.

• Liked — Price and location.
  • Disliked — Lots of thumping from room above. Thin celiing??
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
1 Thank maggie3661
west yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2009

There is no better place to stay in Sonoma than this Best Western. The rooms are huge, clean and comfortable and we were upgraded to a fireplace at no charge. The hotel is 1 block from the centre square. There is washer and dryer available for free and free internet access in the room. We viewed nearly every hotel in town before choosing this one and I promise you it is the best self service hotel in Sonoma.

• Liked — Mission style room decor with fireplace
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonoma
El Pueblo Inn
Ledson Hotel
Ledson Hotel
#4 of 11 in Sonoma
BEST WESTERN PLUS Elm House Inn

Been to BEST WESTERN Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center? Share your experiences!