“Great location, nice hotel, be careful with rates”

Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
Cary, NC
“Great location, nice hotel, be careful with rates”
Reviewed 9 August 2009

The BW Sonoma is a lovely small hotel in a perfect location near the town square and across the street from Whole Foods. The pool/hot tub area is beautiful with lush flowers and a fire pit burning in the evenings. The lobby had a constant supply of free Starbucks coffee to conteract the effects of wine tasting. The room was large with mission-style furniture, very nice bedding, and a large bathroom. It was reasonably clean, but there was some dust in out-of-the-way places, such as on the base of the floor lamp and behind the TV. On the downside, the room was noisy. As it was located near the lobby, we could hear the door slam every time a guest entered from the courtyard to the lobby early in the AM. Also, we could hear the upstairs guest walking heavily at 6 AM. (Note--I am a heavy sleeper, and it takes a lot of noise to disturb me. This is unusually loud for a hotel!) The continental breakfast was substantial enough to sustain us for the morning. I like the breakfast-in-bed system. However, they forgot us one morning, and I had to go to the lobby to inquire.

Overall, this BW was a good choice, and the location was perfect for wineries, shopping, and eating around Sonoma. My only major warning regards pricing. The rates on the general Best Western website, the Best Western Sonoma website, and the quotes they give over the phone may not match; be sure to check all for the best rate. I heard the employees quote rates over the phone that were nearly $200/night more than we paid, and the rooms appear basically the same, except some have a private balcony. Be sure to check all your resources for discounts, or you may end up paying way too much for the quality/service. For the amount we paid, I was very satisfied, and I would return to the BW Sonoma whenever I am in town.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NC_Rambler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Finnish first
Columbus, OH
Reviewed 29 June 2009

The pictures of the room made it look like a more large and luxurious hotel; perhaps even one that Best Western took over to manage (which I've seen before.) So, expecting the modern flat screen TV and seating area, I was given a room at the exact opposite of the front door. Upon arrival, I went for the light switch. Nothing. So I turned on the lights by the sink and then the lamp by the bed. After troubleshooting which outlet the switch by the door worked, I saw that the TV was older and was half off and sideways of its mount. Cobwebs in the corner didn't help. The room just had a feeling of "late night arrival special."

So I went back to the front desk, and they were extremely accommodating, and allowed me to move to a room, that was not only closer to the street/front desk, but was a little more updated and clean, but some cobwebs persisted (I didn't care too much at that point.)

So what does a $299 Best Western get you that the regular $99 one does not? A fridge (that was nice,) a fireplace (it was 90 - 105 when I was there, so I can't talk to its effectiveness) flat screen tv, seven (7) pillows on the bed, 5 or 6 layers of upgraded linens (if you count the sash that adorns the bed upon its making) four paper coffee cups, and two actual glass water glasses (instead of the plastic ones.)

The bathroom was, well a lived in bathroom. Some mold was present, but not out of line, and the grout had seen better days. Not a deal breaker. It was quite large, and its door was larger than the door to the room. I thought at first it was ADA equipped, and although I do not require it, it would be a nice touch for disabled travelers, but, in fact, no. The toilet is small and low to the ground, there are no extra hand holds, etc. It was just an extra large door to a large bathroom. Here they had added some extra wood accents to what was before "just" a Best Western bathroom. The knob on the faucet fell off the last day. . but it was an upgraded faucet.

So, in California, I'd expect some eco-consciousness. There are CF bulbs everywhere, a plus, but the toilet is the old big tank style and the A/C/HEAT is a smaller wall mount unit that was often loud enough to stir me awake. It has a special blinking plug it was plugged into. . I don't know what this did, but sometimes the A/C would go off completely (not just to fan mode) and would come back on again with a jarring compressor noise. I'm a light sleeper so I notice this more than most, but little A/C typically means loud and this was not an exception. And since it was only inches off the ground and blew into the desk and chair, it took a while to cool the room.

Don't get me started on the breakfast. If I had been given some dusty gummy bears I would have been more pleased, and I don't like dust nor gummy bears. The only thing palatable was the sealed orange juice. The one time I got apple juice, it came in a clear plastic disposable airline/wedding type drink glass with a matching lid. . it looked like some kind of specimen and was very uninviting. The beverages were all luke warm, all the food was slightly cold. The bagel was tasteless and unrewarding to eat, the cinnamon croissant-ish thing was almost oily and coated in brown sugar and wasn't to my taste. I just stuck to the OJ delivery every day, which was on time and reliable. So the continental breakfast was a big thing to skip, but at least it was on time to the second. I'd rather they kill the program and go to a lobby based one or credit you $1 if you skip it. Like everyone said, excellent breakfast is to be had from anywhere within a 5 minute walk.

Parking: Either every guest had 2+ cars or there were simply not enough spots. I never got to park by my room, but I did feel honored to at least get an off-street spot. The Sonoma police are known to enforce the 2 hour/no overnight restrictions around town, so walk when you can.

I would not be nearly as scathing if this place wasn't given the Sonoma boost in pricing. If I was paying normal Best Western rates, I'd say its one of the flagships of the fleet. But with so many other rooms around the square in this price range, I felt like I was paying for every bit of convenience the hotel offered.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank TravellingHombre
Hadley, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 June 2009

Located within a block of Sonoma's plaza, this is a well situated, mid-sized motel, with a useful shopping center across the street (including a Whole Foods), some coffee shops, etc. Gas station nearby. Has pool and sun-bathing area. Convenience of Best Western national website helped us; overall, reasonable rates can be secured (AAA; AARP, etc.).

Reasonably clean, but housekeeping/laundry staff made a lot of noise around their work areas at different times of day, the exercise "room" was locked on two occasions, the "in-room" breakfast was nothing special. Housekeeping, while well-intentioned, routinely forgot items, and left the doors open so, YES, there are mosquitoes in Sonoma in early summer -- and they are hard to kill.

Some desk staff knew what they were doing, but all appeared new to their jobs (May 2009 hires?) and were very young and sometimes embarrassingly confused -- but they tried to be accommodating. No one thought it bad business to have a non-functioning printer at the lobby computer for days (and it wasn't clear if the desk's printer was a fall-back option, as is true at other Best Westerns).

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Philadelphia
Reviewed 27 May 2009

I really enjoyed the hotel. It was very clean and nice. We had a fireplace in the room They delivered a continental breakfast to your door. The courtyard was my favorite. It is full of plants and flowers, has a pool, jacuzzi, and fire pit. I would definitley stay here again.

• Stayed May 2008
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 22 May 2009

Spent two nights here as a base for wine touring, Very nice little Inn only 2 short blocks from the town square. Fireplace in room, very clean, breakfast delivered to room, quite basic but along the lines of what you receive at other similar properties. Really neat little courtyard with a pool and hottub. Very friendly, helpfull staff particularly the fellow at the front desk who usually is on the phone making reservations! Only drawback was that the Hottub was very dirty and the birds in the courtyard poop by the Hot tub and no one seems to clean it up! Overal a good stay Would reccomend it!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Redrock55
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 15 May 2009

We loved our one night stay; got a very large first floor room with fireplace, roomy bathroom and vanity, convenient location, and decent price for mid-week. The breakfast wasn't much, but it was included in price and was a decent snack. I loved that it had a fitness room and a laundry (no charge for 2 big washers and dryers---just buy the detergent) even tho' dryers were very slow to dry. Free wi-fi included. Nice little pool in courtyard. King bed was very comfy. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 14 May 2009

I spent one night here and paid, including tax, $255.17. I’ll start with the negatives and go from there. First, I have a pet peeve with hotels that charge extra for an in-room safe, especially when I didn’t use it. However, while this charge was broken out on my bill ($1.95/day) it was included in the total that was quoted to me when I reserved the room so no reason to complain.

The continental breakfast: I noticed that other reviewers loved it but I have to disagree, however that probably comes down to personal taste. There is an in-room coffee maker and frankly it made terrible coffee. The problem with the continental breakfast is that you have to decide what you want and when you want it the night before and call it in. And I’m just not someone who wants to eat a stone cold muffin in my room with bad coffee.

The room itself: for a moderate hotel it’s a good enough room. Good size. I had asked for a quiet room so ended up with an upstairs room and heard very little outside noise. I was up and going relatively early the next morning, good thing as a couple of motorcycles cranked up a little later and then someone’s car alarm went off for a couple of minutes. Not the hotel’s fault. I will say that the air conditioner is one of those window unit types that has been built into the wall; if you’re a light sleeper you’re going to hear the compressor cutting in and out all night long.

Those are the bad things, now the rest of the story. First, while I didn’t care for the continental breakfast, it was a quick five minute walk to the square and there are several places to choose from for breakfast. The key phrase here is: “five minute walk to the square”. The location is great, the square is great. We walked to breakfast, we walked to dinner, we walked around being tourists.

The people at the front desk couldn’t have been nicer. The only coupons we got were the ones printed on our room keys for a couple of the wineries but that wasn’t important. They did offer brochures and maps, which was helpful.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank travelman1370
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonoma
El Pueblo Inn
Ledson Hotel
Ledson Hotel
#5 of 11 in Sonoma
Best Western Plus Elm House Inn

Been to Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center? Share your experiences!