“Bang for your buck”

Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
Reviewed 2 September 2009

Great location in town and close to the wineries. Reasonable price for Sonoma. Had a HUGE room with a real fireplace, Reached Sonoma on a Tuesday, farmer's market! A lot of fun! Breakfast at hotel is just ok, they bring it to your room.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,224)

Reviewed 20 August 2009

My overall rating could have been "average" but I decided to rate it "very good" because Sonoma Valley Inn is pretty good value for Sonoma Valley where it's hard to find accomodations for less than $250/night. I think we paid something like $160/night. The rooms are a bit basic and dated but the services and location make up for what it lacks. It has a swimming pool and hot tub which we didn't use but I thought it was a good perk to have for the price. I was impressed with the evening concierge who was very informative and eager to help with anything. We had an odd foul smell coming out of our air conditioner and he quickly moved us to another room. He also was very helpful with information regarding the wineries and was quick to hand out free wine tasting passes to certain wineries (tastings are never free otherwise). Also there was a woman at the lobby offering massages on a massage chair for $1/minute. I had a 20-minute massage that was quite good - better than expected and I'm picky about my massages!

The location was probably the best part of the hotel. It is across the street from Whole Foods where you can get great fresh organic fruit/foods and it has a large selection of wines at slightly better prices than other stores in town. It is also across the street from a good coffee place and Baskin Robbins. The hotel is also within easy walking distance to the town plaza, a huge plus, where all the little shops and most restaurants are located.

Also, near the pool and hot tub is a common patio area with tables and chairs. Our first night there we were not hungry enough to go to a restaurant as we ate a big late lunch in scenic Sausalito on our way to Sonoma so we bought some cheeses, smoked salmon and a baguette from the market as well as a nice bottle of wine and we dined on the patio. It was nice!

The free continental breakfast that's delivered to your room every morning is nothing to write home about but it's something. Sonoma Valley Inn is definitely not the Ritz but pleasant enough, especially if you don't wish to spend more than $200/night. We stayed there because we rather splurge on good food and wine. It even has free parking so as long as you know what you're getting or not getting it's an all right choice.

Reviewed 9 August 2009

My partner and I reserved the non-cancellation Deluxe King @ $159.99 a night @ http://www.sonomavalleyinn.com/ in April 2009 before our August stay. We thought it offered the best rate for the best location and accommodations. However, a few days before our trip, we decided to check the national Internet site http://www.bestwestern.com and realized we could get the room for $116. I contacted the hotel and Robert, a staff member, honored the national rate (AAA) with the non-cancellation policy. (I looked at this information once again before writing this review, and I noticed that the www.sonomavalleyinn.com is charging a cheaper rate by 2 dollars.) This information may be helpful to those who choose to stay at the hotel.

The Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn is within walking distance to the plaza. Our room was a surprise for a Best Western. The room was large, well-appointed and comfortable. (Keep in mind though, it is a Best Western, so don't expect the Taj Mahal.) On the negative side, we were placed right next to the lobby in room 136 (a corner room) and the outside road traffic and hotel traffic from the lobby to the courtyard outside our room was noisy and began in earnest before 8 in the morning. This was a definite drawback to our stay, but it would not prevent us from staying again. We would simply request another room. In addition, we had no direct access to the courtyard and pool, so we had to walk through the lobby to get to both. If you reserve a room, you may wish to have direct access, so keep this in mind when you make a reservation.

We enjoyed the morning breakfasts that the hotel offered especially the apricot muffins! The staff did not deliver our morning breakfast at the 8:00 time that we requested on the first morning of our stay, so my partner had to go to the desk at 8:40 to request the breakfast, which was delivered shortly thereafter. There was no problem on the second morning of our stay.

The cleaning staff took care of the room each day, but I would say that there was considerable dust on the floor lamp base and on the fireplace hearth. It seems that the cleaning and vacuuming is perfunctory.

Overall, the hotel offers a good deal for a great location with reasonable service. If you are looking to be in the heart of dowtown Sonoma and don't wish to pay high-end prices, but still get good service in surprisingly nice accommodations, then this may "fit the bill" for you. I especially enjoyed the unlimited free coffee, tea and sweet drinks in the lobby.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2009

The BW Sonoma is a lovely small hotel in a perfect location near the town square and across the street from Whole Foods. The pool/hot tub area is beautiful with lush flowers and a fire pit burning in the evenings. The lobby had a constant supply of free Starbucks coffee to conteract the effects of wine tasting. The room was large with mission-style furniture, very nice bedding, and a large bathroom. It was reasonably clean, but there was some dust in out-of-the-way places, such as on the base of the floor lamp and behind the TV. On the downside, the room was noisy. As it was located near the lobby, we could hear the door slam every time a guest entered from the courtyard to the lobby early in the AM. Also, we could hear the upstairs guest walking heavily at 6 AM. (Note--I am a heavy sleeper, and it takes a lot of noise to disturb me. This is unusually loud for a hotel!) The continental breakfast was substantial enough to sustain us for the morning. I like the breakfast-in-bed system. However, they forgot us one morning, and I had to go to the lobby to inquire.

Overall, this BW was a good choice, and the location was perfect for wineries, shopping, and eating around Sonoma. My only major warning regards pricing. The rates on the general Best Western website, the Best Western Sonoma website, and the quotes they give over the phone may not match; be sure to check all for the best rate. I heard the employees quote rates over the phone that were nearly $200/night more than we paid, and the rooms appear basically the same, except some have a private balcony. Be sure to check all your resources for discounts, or you may end up paying way too much for the quality/service. For the amount we paid, I was very satisfied, and I would return to the BW Sonoma whenever I am in town.

1  Thank NC_Rambler
Reviewed 29 June 2009

The pictures of the room made it look like a more large and luxurious hotel; perhaps even one that Best Western took over to manage (which I've seen before.) So, expecting the modern flat screen TV and seating area, I was given a room at the exact opposite of the front door. Upon arrival, I went for the light switch. Nothing. So I turned on the lights by the sink and then the lamp by the bed. After troubleshooting which outlet the switch by the door worked, I saw that the TV was older and was half off and sideways of its mount. Cobwebs in the corner didn't help. The room just had a feeling of "late night arrival special."

So I went back to the front desk, and they were extremely accommodating, and allowed me to move to a room, that was not only closer to the street/front desk, but was a little more updated and clean, but some cobwebs persisted (I didn't care too much at that point.)

So what does a $299 Best Western get you that the regular $99 one does not? A fridge (that was nice,) a fireplace (it was 90 - 105 when I was there, so I can't talk to its effectiveness) flat screen tv, seven (7) pillows on the bed, 5 or 6 layers of upgraded linens (if you count the sash that adorns the bed upon its making) four paper coffee cups, and two actual glass water glasses (instead of the plastic ones.)

The bathroom was, well a lived in bathroom. Some mold was present, but not out of line, and the grout had seen better days. Not a deal breaker. It was quite large, and its door was larger than the door to the room. I thought at first it was ADA equipped, and although I do not require it, it would be a nice touch for disabled travelers, but, in fact, no. The toilet is small and low to the ground, there are no extra hand holds, etc. It was just an extra large door to a large bathroom. Here they had added some extra wood accents to what was before "just" a Best Western bathroom. The knob on the faucet fell off the last day. . but it was an upgraded faucet.

So, in California, I'd expect some eco-consciousness. There are CF bulbs everywhere, a plus, but the toilet is the old big tank style and the A/C/HEAT is a smaller wall mount unit that was often loud enough to stir me awake. It has a special blinking plug it was plugged into. . I don't know what this did, but sometimes the A/C would go off completely (not just to fan mode) and would come back on again with a jarring compressor noise. I'm a light sleeper so I notice this more than most, but little A/C typically means loud and this was not an exception. And since it was only inches off the ground and blew into the desk and chair, it took a while to cool the room.

Don't get me started on the breakfast. If I had been given some dusty gummy bears I would have been more pleased, and I don't like dust nor gummy bears. The only thing palatable was the sealed orange juice. The one time I got apple juice, it came in a clear plastic disposable airline/wedding type drink glass with a matching lid. . it looked like some kind of specimen and was very uninviting. The beverages were all luke warm, all the food was slightly cold. The bagel was tasteless and unrewarding to eat, the cinnamon croissant-ish thing was almost oily and coated in brown sugar and wasn't to my taste. I just stuck to the OJ delivery every day, which was on time and reliable. So the continental breakfast was a big thing to skip, but at least it was on time to the second. I'd rather they kill the program and go to a lobby based one or credit you $1 if you skip it. Like everyone said, excellent breakfast is to be had from anywhere within a 5 minute walk.

Parking: Either every guest had 2+ cars or there were simply not enough spots. I never got to park by my room, but I did feel honored to at least get an off-street spot. The Sonoma police are known to enforce the 2 hour/no overnight restrictions around town, so walk when you can.

I would not be nearly as scathing if this place wasn't given the Sonoma boost in pricing. If I was paying normal Best Western rates, I'd say its one of the flagships of the fleet. But with so many other rooms around the square in this price range, I felt like I was paying for every bit of convenience the hotel offered.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank TravellingHombre
Reviewed 10 June 2009

Located within a block of Sonoma's plaza, this is a well situated, mid-sized motel, with a useful shopping center across the street (including a Whole Foods), some coffee shops, etc. Gas station nearby. Has pool and sun-bathing area. Convenience of Best Western national website helped us; overall, reasonable rates can be secured (AAA; AARP, etc.).

Reasonably clean, but housekeeping/laundry staff made a lot of noise around their work areas at different times of day, the exercise "room" was locked on two occasions, the "in-room" breakfast was nothing special. Housekeeping, while well-intentioned, routinely forgot items, and left the doors open so, YES, there are mosquitoes in Sonoma in early summer -- and they are hard to kill.

Some desk staff knew what they were doing, but all appeared new to their jobs (May 2009 hires?) and were very young and sometimes embarrassingly confused -- but they tried to be accommodating. No one thought it bad business to have a non-functioning printer at the lobby computer for days (and it wasn't clear if the desk's printer was a fall-back option, as is true at other Best Westerns).

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2009

I really enjoyed the hotel. It was very clean and nice. We had a fireplace in the room They delivered a continental breakfast to your door. The courtyard was my favorite. It is full of plants and flowers, has a pool, jacuzzi, and fire pit. I would definitley stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonoma
El Pueblo Inn
Ledson Hotel
#6 of 11 in Sonoma
Best Western Plus Elm House Inn
El Dorado Hotel & Kitchen

Been to Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center? Share your experiences!