“Beautiful House with breakfast to die for!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sonora
Barretta Gardens Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 10 Sonora B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 January 2007

A lovely historic house, surrounded by greenery and run by a charming couple. Perfect base for seeing Sonora and the surrounding gold country. And best of all is the incredible cooked breakfast served up in the morning. My wife and I aren't usually too big on getting to know other guests too much, but the wuality of the breakfast and the setting, along with some friendly fellow guests made for a very enjoyable hour or so of food and chat the breakfsat table!

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank A1Dan75

Reviewed 1 October 2006

My husband and I drove from Moraga, CA to visit our daughter in Sonora, and we enjoyed a one night stay at The Barretta Inn.

We arrived hours before the check-in time. The front door was fully open, and we called Daniel's phone number, which was posted in case of questions from his guests. He welcomed us and assured us that our room was completely ready. Astrid gave us hints to help us settle in, and I plopped down on the back porch to finish stitching a quilt for our newest grandson.

If guests expect a "five-star "experience in the foothills of this gold country, some might be disappointed. But not us. The attention of our hosts was gracious, while also giving us some needed privacy.

Nick and I felt privileged to have seen the progress of this lovingly restored Victorian home, and we commented on our drive home that Daniel and Astrid would make marvelous, friendly neighbors.

Before you leave, please ask Daniel about the turn-table in his garage.

Lucille Biondi
Moraga, CA

Stayed: September 2006
1  Thank beyonde
Reviewed 15 June 2006

I'm not sure I would stay here again. I booked the Cabernet Sauvignon suite for 2 nights of my recent honeymoon in California. We arrived at 6pm on a Friday evening and were greeted by a young woman who seemed fairly clueless. She didn't know where our room keys were -- it turned out they had been left in the door, where we found them, but she couldn't confirm that they were ours or provide us with the code for the front door. She told us the owner would arrive "soon" to check us in, and left us to fend for ourselves. Later I overheard her telling other guests that she was "just the person who cleans the rooms" and therefore couldn't provide them with any information either. I was really surprised and apalled that the owners would leave her in charge of checking in guests without any instructions!

We waited around for a couple of hours to see if the owner would return to check us in and provide us with the front door code, although we were quite hungry. I spent some time in the parlor going through some restaurant menus that had been left out, and there I encountered a gentleman who also was wondering where the owner was! It really seemed strange to me that the owners would leave the place so unattended, on a night that obviously had several new guests checking in (and by this time even the clueless maid had left). Eventually our hunger won out and we left to drive around town in search of dinner. (Incidentally, the town of Sonora has about 12 Mexican restaurants but little else!) Fortunately our room was a suite with it's own entrance to the front porch, so once we figured out the keys we were able to let ourselves in and out without the code (which was never given to us).

When we returned from dinner we finally met the owner, Daniel, but he didn't provide any explanation or apology for his earlier absence. I understand that things can come up, but I really found our initial treatment off-putting... hopefully it's not a common occurence there, but one never knows!

Aside from our initial bad experience with checking in, the service was hospitable enough, although we only saw Daniel during breakfast time, and his wife, Astrid seemed to be out of town. He served us complimentary breakfast in our room, which was whatever he felt like preparing that day -- the food was tasty enough but if you have any special dietary concerns you'll want to voice them ahead of time, as we weren't offered any choices about the menu.

The suite was just what I'd expected from viewing their website -- the bathroom was HUGE, and the Tempurpedic bed was VERY comfortable!! Everything was clean, and there were bath salts left out for us and plenty of plush towels. Unfortunately the AC unit is located in the sitting room, which left the bedroom a bit stuffy... we simply opened the windows at night because the weather was nice, but I could see how this room might be uncomfortable during the summer.

Although the accomodations were romantic, this place left me a little cold... I guess I just expected a little more friendliness and warmth from a bed & breakfast. Maybe the experience would've been different if Astrid had been there, but we found Daniel to be rather aloof. I would hesitate to recommend this B&B, and don't plan to return.

• Stayed: May 2006
1  Thank Cheryl C
Reviewed 19 October 2005

I had never stayed at this inn and was somewhat apprehensive because of the change in ownership as reported by an earlier review. Not to worry. The present owners are making some great improvements, including a new patio area with a barbecue. Danny cooks a wonderful full breakfast or you can let the owners know you have special dietary needs and Astrid works out the details. We accepted the offer to have our breakfast on the porch outside our suite and it was a delightful experience. The food was great and the service first class. The only problem we encountered was the noise from the highway, but this is likely a problem no matter where you stay in Sonora because it is a small town in a gorge bisected by a busy street.

• Stayed: October 2005
1  Thank Briefcase
Reviewed 18 August 2005

It was 104 degrees during the day but walking into the air conditioned Victorian was an extremely pleasant place to call home for a weekend. My room was clean and the bed was great. It was difficult to leave the room for the king size bed and great movies swallowed me up. The breakfast which is part of this whole experience was fabulous. Yummy poached eggs and fresh fruit with yogurt. Since I am a vegetarian it can be hard eating out but one of the new owners is Swedish and she was quite conscious of vegetarian alternatives. Those fake sausages are my favorite and I was happy to learn that the new owners are interested in organics and serving food from the local area. I even got organic tea!! Can't wait to go back in the winter and marinate in one of those whirlpool baths!

2  Thank bodysong
Reviewed 16 August 2005

I just read the bad review of this Bed & Breakfast written in June. How unfortunate of the writer to have expected certain owners and not be able to see the wonderful and positive things the new owners have to offer.
I love to go to Bed & Breakfast spots all over Northern California. This one was one of my favorites. For a long birthday weekend my wife and I stayed at this terrific location in July of 2005. The owners did let us know that they had only recently taken over. Perhaps that's why they seemed to work even harder to make our experience a memorable one.
We arrived without reservations on a Friday and chose the largest room with the sun porch and whirlpool for two. It's a delightful room with wonderful antique furniture and a tempur-pedic bed. Danny, one of the owners, made a quick reservation at a local steakhouse for us and drove us to the restaurant himself as it was closing soon. We made it in time and had a nice leisurely dinner. Following that we had cocktails nearby and returned to the inn quite late. As it turns out, Danny had come back to town and searched for us in order to drive us back to the inn. He was worried that my wife might have a hard time walking the few blocks uphill to the inn. In my book that's good service.
There were fresh cookies each afternoon. The breakfast was delicious all three days that we are there. The property is a delight and it's close to town so you can walk down and check out the little antique shops and stores. I will definitely be back and I wish Astrid and Danny the best of luck in their new endeavor.

4  Thank 63brandon
A TripAdvisor Member
Athens Greece
Reviewed 15 August 2005

My husband and I are from Athens Greece.
On our travels to Los Angeles to visit relatives we stayed at Barretta Gardens.
We were warmly greeted by Danny and Astrid.
I found our room warm and charming. My husband was able to keep up with Wall St, with the internet access in our room.
We tryed the hazelnut coffee which was waiting for us in the morning outside our door, such nice service.
My husband really enjoyed the French toast, I found the eggs benedict quit tasty.
This is a great place to spend romantic time together.
We will be back

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonora
Best Western Plus Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center
Jamestown Hotel
Jamestown Hotel
#1 of 5 in Jamestown
Bradford Place Inn and Gardens

Been to Barretta Gardens Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!