“Pretty Gross” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Union Hill Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sonora
Union Hill Inn
Ranked #4 of 10 Sonora B&B and Inns
Groveland, California
“Pretty Gross”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

I was part of the wedding party featured in two other reviews.

I came here to voice my displeasure and disgust with pretty much the entire debacle that is Union Hill and have found that I've been beat to it. I don't feel I can add anything new to the discussion. The other two reviewers covered everything pretty well:

terrible service
unfriendly staff
rodent infestation
unsanitary accommodations

All in all an awful experience from top to bottom.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank MaA_12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Sonora, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

Our family rented most of the rooms, banquet hall, chapel, etc. for a weekend long stay to wrap up with a wedding.
Although the grounds are beautiful, never before have I seen such filthy and unsanitary conditions in the rooms (mice pee and droppings everywhere - kitchen counters, bathroom towels, window sills, NEST INSIDE the fold up couch, every floor corner and surface), the kitchen in banquet hall had years of funk on unwashed dishes, floor corners and appliances.
What was worse than the disgusting conditions was the rudeness we were subjected to every time we dealt with the owner. Members of the wedding party have SEVERE nut allergies which we informed the owners of prior to breakfast - and the response we received was 'just don't eat that'. With a child who can't even be in the same ROOM as nuts, that was an entirely inappropriate comment and actions that could have had fatal consequences.
Our group spent THOUSANDS of dollars on these two days that were filled with such rudeness and offhanded response from the owner.
Unfortunately, the kindness of Don, the sweet dogs, pretty waterfalls and lovely chapel are overshadowed by the terrible unsanitary conditions and rudeness of Barbara.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Tia K
Sonora, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

Wow, I don’t even know where to start. My sister had her wedding here, and it was a wreck. The only good thing about having a wedding here is that the chapel is very nice. If I could rate this place any lower, I definitely would!

So let me start…the woman (Barbara) whom you have to deal with is just awful. She is rude, and makes it feel like you are putting her out by renting her establishment. This is irritating, but isn’t even where it gets bad!

We had the whole place rented out for the weekend, the chapel, the reception hall, and most all of the rooms. The room that the bride, myself, our sister, and the flower girls were staying in was grungy upon first look. After getting a closer look, the counters in the kitchen were filthy, covered in mouse feces! We bleached them, to keep the night before her wedding from being a big deal. We were done though when we pulled out the sofa bed for the flower girls to sleep on, and found a mouse NEST in it! It was covered in torn up nesty stuff, and feces. We then pulled down the other linens in the closet to see what could be done, and got rained upon with mouse crap! It was horrifying!
When we went to ask what could be done, the owner was huffy, and finally offered us another room after some complaining about how late it was! As though again, we were putting her out! After an hour of moving (dresses, kids) we found that although our second room was cleaner, there were rat droppings on the floor along the walls. Disgusting!

So cleanliness was terrible!

The next morning, when we went down to breakfast, things got worse. Breakfast looked good, but was exactly what we had requested NOT to get. One of the flower girls and the Groom have severe nut allergies, and most everything that was cooked contained nuts! Nut granola, nut syrup, bread pudding with nuts! She was given ample notice of the allergies, and just chose not to care.

On top off all else, the price of renting this place does not include cleanup! We had to “rinse” the glasses, as their policy is not to wash them (eeewwww, wish I had known that before I drank out of them)! So we had to breakdown all tables and chairs, sweep and cleanup everything. For the price paid, which was expensive, cleanup should not have to be done by the bridal party.

This place was not worth the price, problems, rudeness, or work that has to go into it! BEWARE OF UNION HILL INN!

Room Tip: Find another hotel for a good room!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank Crystal K
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

My wife and I decided to make a trip up to Columbia to see the old town and wonder around the area in general. We booked the Union Hill Inn for three nights and were amazed at the accommodations. This property sits on 60 acres of land with gently sloping hills just outside of the town of Sonora. Once on the property you are greeted by Moly the chocolate lab or one of two blood hounds. Don or Barbara are the official greeters but the dogs do just fine. The property has several building scattered around the hills amongst a variety of mature trees that add an element of mystery. The intended purpose of the property is for weddings but on a slow weekend or maybe during the week the Inn is open for your pleasure. Find some time to visit and you will be writing your own review.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Santa Rosa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

Union Hill Inn is the most relaxing inn that we've been to in many years. When we arrived, Barbara was picking fresh fava beans for the mornings brunch and was so gracious and helpful. Don, an angel for taking my in laws for a tour of the property in a golf cart. We took a hike around property. Great way to get a little exercise. My father in law was born in the area and was familiar with much of the history, so Don provided some reminicsing for him. We had a wonderful sleep in a comfortable bed and warm room surrounded by antiques. We can't say enough about the Union Hill Inn and its owners. We will be back. Thank you again, Barbara and Don, for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MDAdams858
Columbia, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2010

I just spent a glorious weekend at the Union Hill Inn. The food was amazing and the setting beautiful, filled with all kinds of perfect spots to dream and have a good time. I sat and watched a spectacular sunset over the rolling hills of the gold country. I relaxed on both the huge outdoor porch and later a hammock under the oak trees filled with japanese lanterns; slept in a big comfy bed in a dormer windowed meticulously redone attic room; There is so much to explore in the area, and the Union Hill Inn is the perfect place to stay while doing just that! Don and Barbara, along with their animals, are outstanding hosts. I'm looking forward to the chance to go back.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ColumbiaPierce
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonora
BEST WESTERN PLUS Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center
#3 of 8 in Sonora
INNS of California-Sonora
Mountain Retreat Resort
BEST WESTERN Cedar Inn & Suites

Been to Union Hill Inn? Share your experiences!