“great food with a kick”
Review of The Peppery

The Peppery
Ranked #3 of 90 Restaurants in Sonora
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: "Gar and Brill" is indeed how it is spelt. They don't seem to have their own website, but a number of sites list them, such as http://mymotherlode.com.
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The Peppery GAR and BRILL (not bar and grill) has a great menu featuring peppers of all kinds. Not every dish is hot so it's suitable for even those with sensitive mouths. Their Peppery soup made with red peppers and cream is one of my favorites, along with the signature pepper steak.
I don't drink but they have a get selection of beers on tap. There are large screens at the bar but it's not a sport bar vibe. Families are welcomed and the staff is always friendly.
This is definite hometown favorite.

There are newer reviews for The Peppery

Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Big portions, decent cooking, plenty of calories...

Fish tacos are my favorite thing there though the tri tip sandwiches are also very good. Kids love the pizza but not a fan.

You can have an ok wine by the glass but byob if u are having dinner.

Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

I've been here a few times before. It's always been good. But this time wife and I went on valentines day, it was awesome!!!! The best it's ever been. The staff was great the food was great. I think I had one if the best rib-eyes ever. Their fried asparagus app was amazing. Get the small order. It's huge. Just be prepared, most of their dishes are spicy. We live about 50 miles from here, but worth the drive. Go try it!!!

1  Thank jmo02
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Visiting Sonora area again and decided to finally try this place.
First, I went on a Friday night, expected it to be busy, but that was an understatement. Hard to find parking but didnt take as long as I had feared.
Once inside was greeted immediately and seated, as most of the younger crowd was hovering around the bar area dand more interested in drinking than eating...good for us.
Waitress was fast and knowledgeable, took our order, and was attentive.
One thing I noticed was that both of the tables adjacent to ours were occupied by people the waitresses obvioulsy knew. As a matter of fact, it turned out that both of the couples at these tables all worked at this joint and were now spending there off time back where the worked.
Never knew people who worked all week at their job and when their time of rolled around they wanted to spend it back at work??!!
My point is, this resulted in the waitresses spending any free time they could muster socializing around where we were seated andus hearing all of the work and personal issues. Not enjoyable.
Anyway, we ordered our dinner. I had the Philly Cheese Steak sandwich with fries and my girlfriend had the steak sandwich and fries.
Good news: food did arrive fast and there was plenty of it. Fries were obviously cut on premises and fried fresh, there was a mountain of fries for each.
The steak sandwich, according to my girlfriend, was perfect.

Not so good news: My Philly cheese steak sandwich was lacking. Opened it up when I got it and noted there was no cheese. Plenty of steak strips, onions, and peppers..but no cheese.
Flagged down waitress and she brought me a slice of pepper jack cheese...cold, as was now my entire sandwich. It was like eating a gas station sandwich.
Our fries were plentiful, as I said, but, they were cold too. As a result, it was like eating a pile of greasy, mushy, hash browns.
We should have mentioned it to the waitress but we finished what we could and paid our bill.
I was not impressed on my first visit with the food, not sure if will go back. Perhaps we came on a bad night, perhaps not, will have to think about whether or not we will go back another time.
But, as the saying goes...do your best at the first meeting because you'll nevert get another chance at a first impression
Not so good news:

1  Thank hook026
Reviewed 29 October 2013

You had better love garlic if you plan to eat here. The food is pretty good, but most of it has a lot of garlic and pepper. The portion sizes were small for the price you pay.

1  Thank 5,111