“First time at a B&B”

Ranked #3 of 10 Sonora B&B and Inns
Fresno, California
“First time at a B&B”
Reviewed 28 June 2012

This was our 1st time staying in a B&B and we weren't quite sure what to expect. We opted tor the room downstairs with our own private patio which included a small waterfall. Our room was lovely with every amenity. Our bathroom had a huge shower plus a jacuzzi tub!! The towels were of the highest quality, Frette brand. Looked online when we returned home because i wanted to purchase + discovered they were $80.00 for a bath towel!!! Walked to church (St. Patrick's) on Sunday morning which was 2 doors down. Overall it was a lovely experience + we thank our innkeeper Eli for his hospitality.

Room Tip: Downstairs room has private entrance + patio
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jolaine32414
, Owner at Bradford Place Inn and Gardens, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Hi again Jolaine and thanks for your review!

I'm glad that you enjoyed the Yosemite room--it's definitely my favorite and the private patio is a big plus on that room.

I'm glad you liked the Frette towels (as well as sheets on the king-sized bed, robes hanging in the closet and even table linens). It's one of the little things that I think makes the inn a special place.

I hope that you will enjoy other bed and breakfasts as well (but hold a special place for your visit to Bradford Place Inn!

Eli

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
northern California
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We recently had the utter pleasure of staying at Bradford Place for the first time. Upon arrival we were greeted by two sweet, well-mannered Irish Setters, who beat the innkeeper, Eli, in welcoming us.

The inn is charming & has tasty baked treats waiting in the parlor. After checking in & confirming our choices for breakfast, we were shown upstairs to our already-cooled room, the Tioga, which is smaller but has high ceilings & good lighting, both natural & electric. The vintage green & white bathroom’s tub/shower has glass doors instead of a clingy curtain. We EACH had two plush, snowy white towels, so I could shower before dinner without worrying if I'd have a dry towel tomorrow. Was grateful for the makeup wipes, which are more appealing than the brown cloth some B&Bs want you to use. Our comfy bed had four pillows with snowy-white ironed linens; no possibly-dirty pillow shams here!

After returning from dinner that Saturday evening, we decided to relax in the front parlor. Mary Lou, one of the dogs, came over & looked at me inquisitively, so I scratched her ears. She was happy to sit & allow me to pet her for a good 15 minutes! Eli chatted with us in between his other duties. My husband asked about the player pianos & Eli was kind enough to play some of the music he's collected. We were treated to Debussy; Gershwin; "Stardust"; a gorgeous variation on "Blue Danube" & several other rolls. Heavenly! We three had wonderful conversation between songs, with the dogs occasionally checking on us. We finally retired after 10, but if we hadn’t been yawning (or concerned about annoying other guests) I think we would have continued on till the wee hours!

I woke up about 6:30 after a quiet night. The bell from a nearby church started tolling softly around 7. After long, hot showers, we headed down for breakfast: Norwegian-style Eggs Benedict (salmon for breakfast? yes, please!). As the other guests had already eaten, Eli stayed & chatted with us for a while before we had to go upstairs & pack.

This B&B is a treasure, in no small part due to the owner's efforts! We can’t wait to plan our next getaway there.

Room Tip: If you like morning sunshine, the Tioga room is bright and cheery.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle T
Dottie, Owner at Bradford Place Inn and Gardens, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Michelle, I'm completely flabbergasted! Thank you so much for that review!

I also had a great time sitting with you (and was wishing that I could have spent more time then!) and playing the player pianos. It's a true delight to be able to share that with my guests and I'm glad that you enjoyed it so much too.

But still, the base of having a good time at a bed and breakfast must be where you are staying--the rest is just the cherry on the top. The Tioga room that you selected is one of our most popular rooms. It's the most economical room and yet has everything you need want in a basic room. You have windows for air, it's quiet and it's comfortable, and quaint and charming.

I'm glad you liked the towels--luxurious Frette towels (and bathrobes as well), fresh and bright white.

And of course, my cooking. I'm really proud of my pastry and all my breakfasts, but yes, the eggs benedict served norwegian style is definately one of my signature breakfasts. Glad you enjoyed it!.

Finally, thank you for your visit. The great reward of running a bed and breakfast is being able to meet and visit with my guests. Looking forward to your next visit!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We stayed here for a couple of nights on short notice. The house is very centrally located in Sonora, yet very quit. The gardens are lovely. Our room was well appointed and had everything we might possible want. Eli is a very gracious and accommodating host. The breakfasts were deliciious, and we loved being able to choose what we wanted for breakfast, as well as the time and where we wanted it served. The dogs are lots of fun to have around. Eli also provided awsome homemade pastries. Both nights, we skipped dessert and came home to Eli's homemade pastries.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dottie, Owner at Bradford Place Inn and Gardens, responded to this review, 26 May 2012
Hi Claudia and thank you!

I'm very glad that you enjoyed the comfortable Tuolumne room during your stay. You mentioned quiet--it is amazing how this inn is so close to the downtown (just 1 block from historic Washington street) and yet you have quiet and restful space here.

Mary Lou and Billy Ray join me in thanking you for your visit and wish you a speedy return!

Santa Maria, CA
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I've visited the Bradford Inn a few times and always find it delightful. I stay in the Yosemite room--it's on the first floor and not many stairs which is important to me. It's also a very large and comfortable room. I especially like that it has a separate shower and tub.

Eli is warm and friendly and is very helpful with suggestions of what to do, where to go, and where to eat. Speaking of eating! The breakfast here is fantastic. I got to be guinnea pig for his new breakfast item--cream brulee french toast. Wow--better than any i've ever had--like cream brulee for breakfast! Also loved the eggs benedict. He makes them to perfection.

overall a great vacation!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Gary S
That's so kind of you to write such kind words about our Inn. I'm glad to have you as a returning guest and appreciate your visits to the Bradford Inn as much as you do.

The Yosemite room is perfect for you and I'm glad you enjoy it. On the first floor there are a lot less stairs, and the patio is especially inviting during the warm months.

looking forward to seeing you again soon at the Bradford Inn!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Visiting the US it's nice to find a friendly place--one that makes you feel at home so far away from home.

I found the Bradford Place Inn and stayed in the Yosemite Room. It's large and very comfortable. I especially loved the fireplace on the cold nights.

Eli is a warm and gracious host, a fabulous chef and entertaining with his warm humor and also his cute dogs Mary Lou and Billy Ray.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Shahar1981
Dottie, Owner at Bradford Place Inn and Gardens, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
Thank you Shahar for your kind review. :)

It's a pleasure always to make guests feel at home and it was a delight to welcome you. I hope you can make another trip back to the US and if so that you'll come visit us again!

I've had many guests from several different countries (Israel, Denmark, Germany, Italy, England and soon Turkey). What a delight to welcome guests and show them good old fashioned hospitality!
Benicia, California
Reviewed 27 December 2011

We have stayed at the Bradford many times when Dottie was the proprietor and this was our first stay with Eli. Eli is warm and welcoming as well as very accommodating. The atmosphere has changed but this is still a wonderful place to stay. We were in the Yosemite room this time which has a spacious bedroom and whirlpool tub in the bathroom. It also has it's own outside entrance and a very nice private little garden area.

We loved that Eli delivered breakfast to our room each morning. There were homemade Christmas cookies in the parlor and Eli even made a special bread for breakfast on Christmas morning. What a treat.

Eli has two well mannered Irish Setters. If you are a dog lover you will surely be charmed by the charismatic Marilou and the somewhat shy Billy Ray. They only came when invited so if you would prefer that they kept their distance it doesn't seem like that would be a problem. We thoroughly enjoyed them.

The Bradford is just a block off the main street so is the perfect place for a visit to Sonora. You will feel right at home in this charming Victorian.

Room Tip: We love both the Bradford Suite and the Yosemite room. Both are quite comfortable and you will have...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dottie, Owner at Bradford Place Inn and Gardens, responded to this review, 7 January 2012
Well, thank you very much for your kind posting.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your visit in the Yosemite room. This is our downstairs suite and is especially suited for breakfast in the room.

I especially enjoyed meeting your family and the chance to celebrate the holidays with you.

Of course the christmas cookies are seasonal, but I always try to have some kind of home-made pastry for guests to enjoy--just a way to add a home-atmosphere to the place. In addition to the cookies, you can always get hot cocoa, tea or coffee to enjoy with them.

Hope to see you again soon!

eli
NORTHRIDGE
Reviewed 4 December 2011

This place is a real "gem" - I was expecting a wonderful stay, and was surprised just how wonderful, wonderful could be.

The decor is comfortable, stylish and very much like home. The Inn Keeper, Eli, was charming and inviting and made us feel welcome at the first instant [he also has two very cute and affectionate dogs that add to the warmth of this Inn, but don't worry, they don't approach unless they are invited!].

The rooms are beautiful, immaculate and fresh, with all of the conveniences one could expect.

The food is prepared by Eli himself, whom we discovered is a trained chef who specializes in fine pastries - be prepared for a mouth-watering breakfast here at the Bradford.

The Bradford Inn is receiving my highest rating possible - I am definitely making this a regular stop on my future visits.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank GPBase
Dottie, Owner at Bradford Place Inn and Gardens, responded to this review, 7 December 2011
Hello and thank you for your lovely comments!

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay at the inn, I believe that you were staying in the Bradford Suite, our most luxurious rooms. And thank you also for your compliments about our cuisine. I take great pride in preparing gourmet breakfasts catered to your requests.

I always try to make my guests feel at home and I'm so glad that your party enjoyed their stay. Hope to see you again very soon.

Eli
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonora
Gunn House Hotel
#1 of 5 in Jamestown
Murphys Suites
Murphys Suites
#2 of 4 in Murphys

Been to Bradford Place Inn and Gardens? Share your experiences!