“Maybe 2”

INNS of California-Sonora
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Sonora
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I traveled to the Sonora in the middle of June. I was tired from the roadtrip. I went into the front check in area and waited behind a group of firefighters. It took quite a while for the two gals working that evening to check in the group. I heard it all, One was very young and unprofessional, the other babbled on about everything from her life story to her trip coming up. Another couple went in and ended up leaving the circus. I waited it out and by the time it was my turn, the sweetness was turned off, and the sour face turned on, the gal was rude and kept talking to the younger gal about the firemen they had just checked in. I would have left but due to being tired, I was going to stick it out. Other then that, the area is interesting, many interesting buildings. The rooms were clean and I enjoyed the swimming pool. The breakfast was good, I didnt know they had one, when I went in the next morning to check out, I found out. The clerk in the morning was very kind to me and my wife.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Duane P
There are newer reviews for INNS of California-Sonora

Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

Lucky the price is very cheap. The A/C didn't work, room smelled, "breakfast" was a joke and you ate it in your room or standing up. The only good thing was the shower...

My wife and I travel quite a bit... Trust this... Stay if you have to and don't have a choice. Run if you can..

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank TheProbst
Reviewed 15 June 2013

we came into Sonora after dark looking for a place to stay, the front desk clerk was so helpfully in helping us park our rv and gave us a discount to help ease the bad day we were having.
If you are heading to Yosemite National park this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We were there for a night. Clean room though a little dark, our request for a room next to the parking lot was ok. Breakfast included is good but no place to sit. Good spot right in town's downtown. Staff helpful on giving advice for dinner and route to follow next day.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This is somewhere in between a two and a three star hotel/motel. We stayed for one night. I guess this is the kind of place you sort of make a pros and cons list, so here goes:

Pros: lighter on the wallet than other Sonora hotels, very central location, cool-looking and rustic outside, comfy beds, large rooms, pool, microwave, fridge.

Cons: funky... as in, there were old hairs in the shower and the bathroom floor was visibly very dirty. Tiny towels (I hate that!). Meagre complimentary breakfast of little pre-packaged muffins and fruit and not much more. Dim rooms. Road noise was worse than in many large cities, and kids were screeching in the pool until way past dark. No bathtubs. Also, weird service. I don't think I want to detail how weird, but just... young and not professional seeming at all. I can be kind of empathetic about this, but it was a little excessive.

It was fine for one night with ear plugs and slippers for the bathroom floor. I've stayed in funkier hotels, just not for this price. It would be really easy to clean it, but a lot of it probably needs total refurbishing since the funk was even ground into the bathroom "wallpaper" and paint. The bedroom itself seemed clean, however. I saw cleaning people, so I know they were doing things. So if they are reading this, please seriously do a deep cleaning of the bathroom floors, walls, and shower stalls. Thank you.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back seemed quieter.
1  Thank Aqusite
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The motel was clean and the bed was comfortable. As others have stated, the room is rather dark because there are only two windows, both of which require drapes being pulled unless you don't mind watching everyone walk by. There are no elevators. If climbing stairs is difficult, request a ground floor or 2nd floor room in the back. It is possible to get to the front rooms of the second floor by going to one end, walking down two steps then walking all the way around to the front rooms, which is what we did. The rooms on the front face the main throughfare through town so it can be noisy all night long.
The staff was very friendly at check-in. There is a continental breakfast in the lobby but there is no place to sit. You take it back to your room or outside by the pool. There is a decent sized under counter frig, microwave and in room coffee pot.
The motel is within walking distance of restaurants and shops. We were given a list of restaurants when we checked in, but we were visiting friends so we didn't try any of them. The motel was in a convenient location for our purposes.

Room Tip: For a quieter room, choose one on the back of the motel away from the street.
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We arrived in Sonora on Friday of Memorial Day weekend with no hotel reservations. After driving around and checking out all of our options- we decided to stop at Inns of California. We liked the central location to the downtown.

We asked for a room on the backside of the building- away from the pool and the street traffic.

The room was clean and the bed comfortable. Overall it is a decent place. It isn't 5 star luxury- but does the job for a weekend road trip and a place to spend the night.

I'd stay here again next time we visit Sonora.

On Saturday morning the town has an amazing farmers market. Ask the front desk for directions (its walkable) and enjoy the selection of fresh fruit, meats, veggies, and other local made products.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room- ask for one on the backside of the building.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonora
Best Western Plus Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center
#4 of 8 in Sonora
Rodeway Inn Sonora
Rodeway Inn Sonora
#6 of 8 in Sonora

Been to INNS of California-Sonora? Share your experiences!