“Very quaint and lovely.”
Review of Gunn House Hotel

Gunn House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Sonora
“Very quaint and lovely.”
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Stayed here one nite (Aug 21st) and would have stayed another nite if they'd had a vacancy. Found it thru AAA book and reading reviews here on trip advisor. Been on the road for two weeks, always looking to stay at decent but inexpensive places. Wish we'd always gotten this lucky!
Very friendly service on the phone and checking in. Front Desk person walked us up to our room and pointed out what we needed to know about pool, ice, etc.
Pool was very clean as was the room/bathroom. Room was a bit small with two queen beds in it but that was not a problem (we needed the two beds!). Our room was on the back of the hotel so it was very quiet.
The "breakfast included" was far superior to the usual items but could stand some changes. The waffles (made for guests by the
staff) were delicious and are served
with pitchers of melted butter and
decent syrup!! I agree with a
previous review that the other
selections are a little long on
cake/sweets and there are egg bakes recipes that we like better.
Overall a wonderful place!

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank JKfamilywanderers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Placerville, California
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I have stayed here several times over the last 4 years as I am in the wine industry and this is a great place to stay to get to all the out of the way places in the surrounding area. This hotel is so quaint and adorable. The rooms are clean, the breakfasts rock, the staff is over the top friendly and accomodating, and I really love coming back and visiting the house dog! If I remember correctly, his name is Small (so?) I'm a total dog lover and I always love to frequent any business that a furry greeter. I work for a dog friendly winery and I have a huge clientele that looks for places that if they aren't dog friendly to stay, they always love to interact with a "doggie host"! Please don't change a thing. He's so friendly and cute. He even knows when he's getting his picture taken! I just wanted to take the time to say thank you for being such a gem!! I wouldn't say hidden, because I always tell friend from the bay area to go check it out! Customer service is MY BIGGEST priority in business and I think it's important to let you know when you are doing a GREAT JOB! Looking forward to my next trip in Oct/Nov!

Room Tip: The rooms are great. I LOVE to have lots of pillows and they seem to remember me from previous trips...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank debberdoo
one08, Owner at Gunn House Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2011
Thank you for your wonderful comments. We always enjoy having you stay with us. It is guests like you that give our hotel the characture that it has.
Los Angeles
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We booked our room in advance relying only on Trip Advisor reviews. We were totally satisfied and more. The location is at one end of the walkable downtown main street of Sonora, and at least on the Friday night we stayed, the restaurants were open, with a good selection.
Breakfast is delicious, with many fresh baked goods and egg & cheese casserole.
The pool area is very pleasant.
We stayed in the double queen room which comfortably accommodated our 2-kid family.
We will make a repeat visit when we return to Gold Country.

• Stayed August 2011
San Diego, California
Reviewed 20 August 2011

I put off writing this review because I have mixed feelings about this place. The first night we stayed we found the Gunn House charming. My kids liked the teddy bears and the spooky atmosphere of the place .The history of the house reflects the history that abounds in Sonora. We did get a friendly reception when we checked in as well as a tour of the property. Overall for a one night stay in Sonora I think this place might be okay for a taste of the flavor that this area offers.

Otherwise, the Gunn House was a disappointment and felt like it catered to the blue haired crowd. Every morning there were 5 or 6 types of homemade cakes, three types of cereal (all stale, none whole grain or bran, I tried all three), one of those egg bake things with bread that you let sit overnight (it was always runny and soggy. Ick), a waffle (made for you by a girl in the parlour), white bread, white bagels, and white English muffins. Apples, oranges and bananas. Every single morning. The menu did not change.

Some of the cakes came with actual fudge frosting for the top. Although I appreciate the work that goes into homebaked goods this was all far too sweet for me and my kids for everrrry breakfast. How about cutting down on the cakes (and they were cakes, not stuff like banana breads or bran muffins) and offer some other types of fruit that is in season or some hard cheeses? Even some berries for the top of the waffles would have been nice. How about yogurt or granola or just some whole grain bagels or WHEAT bread? Perhaps the menu changes radically each week but for concurrent night visitors like we were the selections were monotonous and fattening. It kind of felt like breakfast offerings from the mid-70's. Just the wrong way to start a full day exploring the Sierras. This is a change the Gunn House may need to implement to keep up with other B&B's and the more healthy attitude of younger and fitter guests.

Also, I mentioned to them several times that the coffee mugs were dirty. I found old lipstick stains on the rims and dried offee rings on the inside every morning. The breakfast plates...also dirty. Just the type of dirty you get if you pop stuff into the dishwasher without first wiping them off. Once the inside of the cup was actually greasy. When I mentioned this to the girl she peered into it and grimaced. I (and a few other guests) finally gave up on the mugs and resorted to paper cups. My morning coffee in a paper cup is not what I think of when I wistfully daydream about a hotel or B&B experience. On our FIRST night I had to exchange our pillowcases. There was ketcup or blood on it. There was also some on the sham. We had had neither in our room. I was told by the night manager they do not change cases overnight on concurrent night stays. That's fine. I can appreciate saving a bit of water. But they need to change them between guests. It was another ick moment. Overall the Gunn House is just a bit under the weather when it comes to daily maintenance.

And this then is the crux of the problem, I think, with the Gunn House Hotel. It is fun to visit for a night, a bit like going to visit an absent minded grandmother. But after a few days you start to notice the dirt and dust that Grandma can't quite reach anymore. You see that the decor that seemed period appropriate at night is dusty and tacky during the day. Thankfully there aren't a half dozen cats wondering around. There is a very big mastiff, however, that belongs to the manager. The manager told us he doesn't like kids, although he gets along with her own grandsons, and his growl is pretty fierce so I beleive her. We tried to say hello to him (the mamager said it was fine...that he was just a big baby) but, no, he really doesn't like kids, even older quieter ones. She does reprimand him quickly when he growls but as much as I love dogs (I own two) I didn't want to be around him without her there.

My complaints about the cups or some questions ("no bananas this morning?") were met with a bit of defensiveness ("no, no bananas....we had a rush this morning...you should have been here earlier" This was at 8 in the morning. Okay. There's plenty of cake but no bananas. Does that tell you something?). And that attitude is something that the Gunn House also needs to work through. Although I can see where this is a very beloved property, it is also a business, so complaints shouldn't be taken so personally.

The pool is okay, the common areas in the back are relaxing. They have a "haunted" reputation...we saw nothing but that is kind of fun! They should play that up more...the maids say they are supposed to say "no" when asked but personally I thought that was the best part of the stay! No pets allowed and no smoking, both of which are big PLUSES in my book! And this place, for around a $100 a night or so, is an okay value in an area with limited offerings. The beds are comfortable, the rooms quiet in the back. I liked the location because it was within walking distance to the town and restaurants. The bathrooms were clean but stale with fixtures and decor. No era replicated stuff or anything, all strictly 1980 type furnishings, floors and countertops.

But ultimately the Gunn House felt like a place owned and run by older people for older people. Young children, although welcome, do get the fish eye and I spoke to one mom who was upset because her son was reprimanded for running up the stairs by one of the staff. But I think they are just not used to little kids and don't want them to get hurt. My kids were happy enough there. But food, decor and cleanliness are big factors for me on enjoying a stay. And I'm afraid those are the areas that I found the Gunn House Hotel lacking.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank CathRun
one08, Owner at Gunn House Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2011
Thank you for your review. As the owner I appreciate your input and I can assure you the review will be printed and handed out to my staff and appropriate actions will be taken. I only wish you had talked to me personally during your stay at the Gunn House, since I am available to my guests at any time, so that your concerns and requests could have been addressed in person and where possible accommodations could have been made.
Reviewed 16 August 2011

The two of us stayed one night, having an advance reservation, after day camping in Tuolomne Meadows. The reviews had read were glowing, but still we were impressed. The decorative details in the guest rooms, patio, and dining areas are welcomed. The pool area is well maintained with cared-for plants and flowers everywhere. I even peeked inside the very large, commercial kitchen from where the huge display of treats come every morning for breakfast. Too bad we live so far away. The Gunn House would become a frequent retreat because of how special it is at such a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Away from the main street on the front is desirable if available
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sunnie77
San Rafael, ca
Reviewed 13 August 2011

We stayed one night at the Gunn House Hotel in the king bedroom (not in the main building). Unique and charming room. Very comfortable bed. Lovely swimming pool, patio area and the included breakfast was very good, served in an upstairs parlor. Conveniently located an easy walk to nearby restaurants.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank J M
Sherman, Texas
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Heading on a trip to the Yosemite National park we stayed here on the way (for the night) Me my husband, and grandpa got a two bedroom on bottom floor. I thought we were supposed to get a balcony but I guess that's ok... When I walked in the lady greeted us very nice and friendly. Went to our room very nice and spacious huge bathroom! Nice size tv cute little teddy bears on the bed's. Went across the street to Outlaws bbq it was delicious. Went back to the gunn house and it felt very "homey" felt like a home away from home. Went swimming in the pool for 20 minutes to cold for me. lol We woke up the next day to eat breakfast then head out. Breakfast had alot of selection's (casserole fruit) wish there was donuts but i'm very picky so I ate cereal and a big waffle. Overall it was a great stay I would definetly go there again. My first time in California and If we went back to sonora i'd definetly stay here!!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank bubbles0212
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonora
Best Western Plus Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center
#6 of 8 in Sonora
The Palm Hotel
The Palm Hotel
#3 of 3 in Jamestown

Been to Gunn House Hotel? Share your experiences!