“Cute, clean and comfortable”
Review of Gunn House Hotel

Gunn House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Sonora
California Hot Springs, California
“Cute, clean and comfortable”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Shows you how reviews can vary person by person! We also stayed at this hotel the same weekend as the last reviewer who posted on the 13th. We stayed the night of the 14th and really enjoyed the hotel and amenities. It was super, super clean everywhere ... in the rooms and on the grounds. The rooms are cute, (the little bears are adorable) and the fireplace in the room was pretty. I am inclined to think a competitor posted the negative review, because there is no way our stay could have been so drastically different one day later! We will definitely be back, particularly as we were meeting family for breakfast when we were there and could not partake of the scrumptious hotel breakfast everyone was raving about!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RCWinter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
vancouver
Reviewed 13 June 2013

This turned out to be a really bad choice for us. Though not expensive, I would hardly call the rooms 'lovingly restored' as proclaimed on the website. The historic features are old objects here and there. The common areas smelt, the room we had was far from secure and all in all it was not much more than a cheap motel standard disguised in an old shell as "historic". Not very clean, not very comfortable, very noisy air-con and quite a noisy location on the Main Street. For the price I would prefer a no character chain hotel that works and where you can sleep peacefully. Wifi very spotty, breakfast so so.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
tschoonover, General Manager at Gunn House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Dear Rallylist,

As manager of the Gunn House Hotel I must say I felt absolutely stunned reading your review. Honestly at first I thought you must have reviewed wrong hotel, simply as all of us here at the Gunn House Hotel, from the office staff, to housekeeping and maintenance, management and the owners, take great pride in providing an exceptional stay for all our guests.

Although we realize we are a unique property and not for everyone, your statements on cleanliness, smells and not feeling secure etc. are alarming and I give you my word, I will look into your stay and how we failed to meet your needs and expectations.

I will be sending you a personal email in hopes that you can help me understand when you stayed, what room you stayed in and how we can better our hotel for our guests. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me at gunnhouse@sbcglobal.net.
Hermosa Beach, California, United States
Reviewed 10 June 2013

My wife and I spent a night at the Gunn last weekend for a wedding. This has to be the best value I've ever experienced in lodging. The room was just over $100 and came with a great free breakfast. I would value the breakfast at $25-$30. I had a waffle, some pastry's and some yummy quiche. also all you can drink OJ. The location is great. It's at one end of the nice downtown area. Room and Bathroom was very clean. When we check in the receptionist walked us to our room. Amazing. The only downside I could see is the window AC units are a little noisy but didn't bother my wife or I at all. We slept like baby's. Partly because it was the first time we have ever spent away form our 18 month old.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Richard R
California
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I spent a night at Gunn House this past weekend for the first time; it certainly won't be the last! The room was comfortable and charming, lots of outdoor seating, the pool was immaculate. Breakfast was home-cooked; egg casseroles, an array of tempting pastries, muffins, and coffee cakes, made to order waffles, fresh fruit, and the usual beverages. Everything I tried was delicious. Gunn House is a bed and breakfast experience minus b & b prices! Highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank bike5150
Valley Center, California
Reviewed 5 June 2013

We had a lovely time at the Gunn House Hotel! The room was clean upon arrival. Bed was comfortable. Our toilet was low to the ground, not a problem for shorty me, but my be an issue for a tall person. We loved the communal patio outside our room. The atmosphere was relaxed. Every morning they serve a nice breakfast. Home made breakfast breads, egg casserole is the best ever, asst cereals, fresh fruits, juices are served in a comfortable room. The pool was closed, probably getting ready for summer. The nightly rate was less than a lot of other places in town that were not as nice. Location is perfect, right in the thick of downtown. Many restaurant choices and shopping just steps from the hotel. Hotel parking is good too. This will be our hotel every time we visit Sonora.

Room Tip: We stayed in 'the back' and it was very quiet. I would recommend the back.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Rachel A
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 3 June 2013

My family and I pulled into town after the long drive over Tioga pass and needed a place to stay for the night. After looking on line for a hotel room throughout the day with patchy reception and to no avail I saw the Gunn House vacancy sign. So relieved to find a room, I didn't even think about the quality or type of hotel it might be. I was pleasantly surprised by the Gunn House, great spacious room with a porch circling the building equipped with chairs for lounging. This hotel has a nice pool and a charming inner courtyard area for relaxing and dining on the delicious complimentary breakfast. It was so relaxing and comfortable, and I love that it is situated downtown in a historic neighborhood close to all the shops and great for people watching. We were in town during a busy weekend ( a car show and a special event in Columbia State Park) so it was a bit noisy. If you go I would recomend requesting a room on the back side of the hotel away from the main street for a little less noise. Loved the atmosphere and would definately stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jessica M
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

From the moment we arrived on the property, my husband and I were very pleased. Very clean inside and out. Great curb appeal. Our desk clerk, Breezy, did a very professional job of checking us in and escorting us to our room. The room was tastefully decorated and was reminiscent of a high class guest room. We will be back.

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank mamabuys
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonora
Best Western Plus Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center
Jamestown Hotel
#1 of 5 in Jamestown
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Royal Carriage
Best Western Plus Cedar Inn & Suites

Been to Gunn House Hotel? Share your experiences!