“Another awesome stay at te Gunn House Hotel”
Review of Gunn House Hotel

Gunn House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Sonora
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We just visited last week and unfortunately the Rim Fire is burning now. The town was smokey but the community is pulled together to pray for firefighters and do what ever they can to help. The community output is amazing in this small town. The Gunn House Hotel is our favorite and we enjoy meeting guests and staff each morning in the dining room for a fabulous breakfast ! We are already booked for our next trip in September.

Room Tip: The back side rooms are more quiet and I love the chairs outside our room. The pool is also on this...

Reviewed 27 August 2013

The hotel is quaint with the bedrooms being interestingly decorated. However the AC is horrendous in the room we stayed in. We stayed at the hotel in August with temperatures reaching the high 30s C. We were left with the choice of either melting in our rooms our sleeping with an AC unit that sounded like a tractor and still did not cool the room down that well. They should really upgrade their ACs.

The breakfast was as described by other, however if you are not a cake lover or are watching your calories there was not much other choice. Something to consider.

Overall though it still looked like the best hotel in Sonora but please - update the AC.

Room Tip: Suggest a romm at the back as the front road is very busy
1  Thank Lesz
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I took my mother, mother in law, 7 year old and 21 month old baby to visit the area, this was the PERFECT hotel for us. We had a king room which was huge. Mothers had a queen double. The breakfest was amazing, waffles to order, great breakfest cassarole and scrambled aggs for dieting MIL! and the staff were so kind and helpful. location is excellent and perfect for quick links to different areas.

This is not a fine 5 star hotel. It IS a comfortable, clean, child friendly hotel with a pool. We WILL be back!

Room Tip: we found our rooms very quiet
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here at last minute on driving holiday recently. Really beautiful room with amazing antique furniture, and great old style verandah out the front, typical of an old style hotel. A great breakfast was also included which was served in what was previously a bar room. The owners have done an excellent job with the decor in this place. Plenty of restaurants and supermarket to walk to just down the street. Would not hesitate to recommend to anyone to stay

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 24 August 2013

So, we got to the Gunn House Hotel on Wednesday, courtesy of the Rim Fire, we followed the evacuation instructions to leave Pine Mountain Lake. We’ve never been here before and it was the first place I pulled into as we were rattled.

What is funny is that we saw the Rim Fire start - we were fishing in Cherry Lake last Saturday and between 7 guys we caught 32 trout. The rock we were fishing on last Saturday is today on fire according to the maps, but that is a story for another time.

About our Gunn house experience – One word “Awesome!”

Shirley and Mike, the owners, are wonderful. Shirley talks to all the guests and is very friendly and welcoming. It turns out that Shirley also bakes every morning all the delicacies for the breakfast that is included with the rooms. My favorite was the peach cake. Shirley gets fresh fruit from the local farmer’s market. Mike is a hoot and has a lot of local knowledge and opinions. He’s a great conversationalist.

Tracy at the front desk was very kind and courteous when we checked in and gave us a room right away. We started in room 23 which is in the back and overlooks the pool and the top parking lot. This was important because our cars were full of our stuff. Anyway the room is very quaint full of antique furniture and very comfortable. We got a room with two queens. On day 3 we had to move (thankfully they accommodated our day-to-day status) and moved to room 11, the oldest room in the hotel. It faces the front of the hotel and I’m writing this from the porch overlooking downtown as the sun begins to go down. Beautiful.

Alexis lexis who handles the breakfast parlor where all the guests go to mingle in the morning is friendly helpful and makes an amazing waffle. I drizzled my waffle with plenty of melted butter and warm syrup. Coffee was plentiful as was the orange juice and the pastries.
Kristi took care of our room. She was very friendly, fast and thorough and did a great job with our room.

Everyone recommended great places to eat – all within walking distance right down Washington Street. We had lunch ad the Diamonback grill, Emberz, Europa Deli and had coffee at Sonora Joes – all had good food, and again, worthy of a story of another time.

We highly recommend the Gunn House. We will certainly be back even though we now live only 25 miles away and we will tell all our friends. If you’re going to Sonora, this is the place to be. Thanks to each and every one who made our stay and experience wonderful.

And to all of those affected by the Rim fire, best of luck. Much thanks, prayers and praise to all those fighting this beast and keeping us safe.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Great location in historic downtown. Walking distance to shops and restaurants. Clean comfortable rooms and pool and a quiet locationl. They also had awesome free homemade pastries and egg casserole for breakfast. Very reasonable price for the amenities. Nicely modernized for such a historic building. Driveway to parking lot was narrow and steep but plenty of parking in back

Reviewed 7 August 2013

I travel to Sonora at least 2 times a year to visit family. I had always stayed at the Gunn House. With a good breakfast and clean,quaint rooms, I was happy to find a good value.

I went to the hotel mid-June. As we entered the room we smelled a mix of mildew covered with cleaning supplies (thus triggering my asthma). The room was tiny and had a window maybe 12x24 inches. The bed was clearly old...and was extremely uncomfortable (maybe because it was not a "premium room"?). When I called to reserve it, I had asked for a room where I can do some work on my computer. The room did not have any place to sit (I didn't expect a desk, but at least some small table) and my boyfriend and I couldn't even walk around each other because the room was so small.

We packed up our things and asked for a refund.I explained that I was having issues breathing and that this was not going to work. She did showed us the only other available room (which was an improvement, but still no table) but said that we could only stay one night and we needed 2.

The front desk woman said she would only refund our money if someone else booked the room. Luckily someone walked in to book a our first night was refunded. We lost our 2nd night because Gunn House could not guarantee the room would be booked. The front desk woman handed me a card and said to call the manager and take it up with her. I really did not want to deal with the stress of calling the manager and having to talk my way into getting a refund for the second night.

Unfortunately we will probably not be going back. We will miss the breakfast. :(

Hopefully others have a better experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool - it cuts down on the noise and they are much larger.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonora
Best Western Plus Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center
#3 of 7 in Groveland
The Groveland Hotel
The Groveland Hotel
#5 of 7 in Groveland

Been to Gunn House Hotel? Share your experiences!