“Best Choice in Sonora”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Sonora
Phoenix, Arizona
“Best Choice in Sonora”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I've stayed in 3 historic hotels in Sonora while travelling for business. The Gunn House Hotel is by far the best. Shirley makes an amazing egg casserole and a variety of coffee cakes and danishes every morning. The coffee is good too. This is truly a historic hotel with the comforts of home. I just hope it's not booked up next time I visit Sonora.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Z00lady

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Marina
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Thank you Trip Advisor writers for rating this hotel #1! When I was looking for a hotel in Sonora/Angel's Camp area I depended on Trip Advisor reviews! I wasn't disappointed!

I had to be in the area for business and I wasn't going to be at the hotel that much, but I wanted to be comfortable in my room when I was there. Looking at it from the outside you don't know that there is like a secret passageway through the middle of the hotel to the next two levels up. I didn't even know there was a pool from the website and we told the owner. She took a picture and posted it! I wouldn't have had time to swim anyway, but it is nice to look at and there are cool rock walls and flower gardens all around.

The room had a nice quality wallpaper strip around the middle of it with "old world books" in blue, burgundy, green, and gold. The décor all matched and there was a cute bear on the bed. I happen to love teddy bears and the colors of the room. The floor squeaks when you walk on it---it's from 1850 so a little squeak is so cute!

I found my bed to be a tad hard, but that's what makes going home so nice....you appreciate your own bed!!!

The breakfast is nice in an antique decorated smallish room on the second floor (by the pool). Some folks took their food out onto the patio and ate outside. As others have mentioned there is an egg dish, many breads and cereals, fresh waffles, orange juice, and coffee. Since I was there for 2 mornings it would have been nice to have a different egg dish the 2nd morning (like a quiche or something). The second morning the egg dish was a bit burned on the bottom.

I could hear traffic now and then go by, but my room was #23 on the 3rd floor in the back. It had to be the quietest location on the property. You are, after all, on the main street of Sonora when you are at the Gunn House Hotel. Trucks do rumble by. There is a parking lot close to the back of the hotel too which is next to the the hotel which goes up a steep street, and turn right. Then you walk downhill into the hotel. The other one is on the street level.Both parking lots are gravel. It is not a huge property but it had a wonderful feeling there.

There was a party going on Saturday night when I came back to the room at 11:15. The noise went on til 12:30. But I can't fault the management for that: People are just drunk and being idiots on a Saturday night. (I think there had been a wedding). The office closes at 10:00 p.m. I do not know if there is a phone number listed in the room to call the management; I just hoped the noise would stop and it eventually did. No one asked me how my stay was so I didn't mention it.

I'm sorry I didn't have time to take any pictures because I usually like to post pictures.

Overall I am rating this hotel "Very Good" because of the special charm it has, and I think all people can feel comfortable there (singles, families, couples, etc.). You can just picture it being on the wagon trail back in the day. The way it is laid out makes it feel quaint and cozy.

Room Tip: I chose my rooms based upon the bed types due to having friends and family help us with our bar-b-qu...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Sherry P
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Funky and fun 1850 historic house, with a clean, cool, and bigger-than-expected pool set away from the road(and from prying eyes). Staff very friendly and helpful. Enjoyed our stay here in Sonora, which has a laid-back charm.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Pine Grove, California
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The Gunn house is a neat place to stay with a lot of history. The rooms are nice and old fashion but unlike some B and B's You do not have to share a bathroom. They serve a nice little breakfast of muffins ,cakes, waffles and a egg dish. This is a nice touch we happen to love. The staff is very helpful and the rooms are cute and very clean. Try to get a room in the back if you like to look out over the swimming pool and share in all the fun the kids and grown up kids are having.this area has great fishing and skiing depending upon when you stay. Enjoy the shops and local bars, let your hair down and have some fun in Sonora.

Room Tip: If you like the street action stay in the front less noise stay on the side.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Doris M
Oregon
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed at the Gunn House for three days while we toured the gold country and visited Yosemite National Park. The room was nice and given the buildings age, quite comfortable and well maintained. Everyone wa soo nice. Shirley, the owner, made sure that my daughter and wife had gluten free selections at the breakfast bar and everything there was absolutely scrumtious. She even share a few baking tips with us a told us her secretes for buying gluten free products. Wow! There was a little street noise in the room but all in all, not bad. We're already planning are next visit.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Northampton
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Easy to find and an old historic building.
Checked in a reception at front of hotel, then drove up the steep drive to the rear of the hotel to park as our room was on the top floor at the back.
Quaint room with TV and small sofa, small bathroom. Sitting area outside room, pool outside.
Nice breakfast with the usual cereals, toast and some lovely home made cakes.
Lots of restaurants in Sonora too, nice place to stay. We had a really good burger at Diamondback Grill.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andy123Northampton
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This is the fourth time our group have stayed at the Gunn House while we attend two related seminars. Each of the rooms are slightly different, but they have everything a traveler could need. We find the breakfast to be excellent - waffles, cereal, bagels, all sorts of cakes, bannas, oranges, apples and a wonderful egg suffle.

Room Tip: Three layers of rooms, but built into the side of a hill so you don't have a lot of noise transf...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonora
Best Western Plus Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center
Sonora Inn
Sonora Inn
#5 of 8 in Sonora
Victorian Gold Bed & Breakfast

Been to Gunn House Hotel? Share your experiences!