“This was my favorite hotel of our trip.”
Review of Gunn House Hotel

Gunn House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Sonora
Reviewed 28 June 2009

We stayed one night in June. It was a wonderful hotel. i had researched the hotel before arriving and it was everything that everyone had said it would be. The rooms were so unique. Each one was different. I was afraid of the noise from the traffic, but it didn't bother me. The pool area was very lovely. The breakfast was remarkable. Everything was homemade and so inviting. We enjoyed the shops in town. We had dinner at the City Hotel in Columbia Sate Park. It was a very delicious meal and we enjoyed the atmosphere. I wish I could have stayed longer!

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
one08, Owner at Gunn House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2009

I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. It was a pleasure reading your comments.

Reviewed 27 June 2009

Up side is its a cute B&B. Clean etc.. They serve a great breakfast in a great room.
Down side is if ur not a sound sleeper its not so good. We had a room in the back and u still pick up a lot of main street / drag traffic noice and the walls/celling/floors are thin.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
one08, Owner at Gunn House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2009

I am sorry you were disappointed with our hotel. Unfortunately we cannot change our location or control the street noise.

Reviewed 15 June 2009

We just returned from a long weekend at the Gunn House with our two children, ages 6 and 3. The Gunn House manages to combine the best features of a motel and a B&B. It's cozy and comfortable, with a friendly welcoming staff. The prices are a real bargain, especially considering that breakfast is included. And by breakfast, I mean a real breakfast, not one of those sweet-roll-and-weak-coffee affairs. Wake up to a wide selection of freshly baked breads and coffee cakes, Belgian waffles, fruit, and an amazing egg-and-sausage breakfast casserole.

Rooms were clean and decorated with antiques and teddy bears. Beds were excellent and comfortable, with down comforters and pillows. Try to get a room around the back of the building, since the hotel faces Sonora's main drag. Traffic tends to evaporate after around 10 pm, though, since Sonora isn't exactly Nightlife Central (part of its charm).

Highly recommended, especially for families with children, but suitable for a romantic getaway as well.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 June 2009

I am just back from a 15 days road trip is West America, and the Gunn House Hotel is without any doubt the best place I slept! It was the end of my trip, just after Yosemite, my boyfriend and me were exhausted after a very long day hiking.....it was such a pleasure to arrive in the little paradise!

The couple who own the hotel is very nice, and the house is so beautifull and comfortable. You can arrive until 10.00pm. The rooms are very confortable and decorated with taste, you feel so good there! There is also a nice swimming pool.

But my favourite part was the homemade breakfast, amazing!!! So good, with tea, cafe, cereals, 4 or 5 different cakes, eggs, waffle......delicious!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2009

The Gunn House Hotel was a wonderful find. Because of the reasonable price, it was much more than we had expected, and we're not easily impressed. Attention has been paid to every detail of the hotel both inside and out. There are many balconies, which we particularly enjoyed. The rooms are beautifully decorated and the mattress was soooo comfortable. The owners and managers were very friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was really good. We will be back and we will bring relatives and friends.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
one08, Owner at Gunn House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2009

Thank you for your very nice comments.

Reviewed 22 March 2009

Just returned home from a two night stay at the Gunn Hotel. My wife and enjoyed our stay immensely. The service people we dealt with from the time we arrived until we departed were all spectacular including the owner, Mike. I tried to book a king room in the back of the hotel over the pool as others have suggested, but those rooms were not available. We ended up in room #6 directly across the hospitality room. The room was very convenient for breakfast service, but if someone wanted to sleep in it would not be a great location due to foot traffic noise. Otherwise the room was clean, quaint and exactly what we were looking for.
We thought the comp breakfast was very tasty/ample and added a great deal of value to the price of the room.
Although we will look for a new/different room location we will certainly return to this hotel on our next visit to Sonora.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2009

I was planning a mini-trip to the snow with my family which consisted of myself, my two daughters, aged 9 and 15, my sister and her boyfriend and her 3 year old son. I decided Sonora was a good mid-point to the the snow-not too far away and it has all the comforts of home ie; Walmart, Starbucks, Taco Bell, etc. Anyway we had stayed at th e Aladdin Motor Inn last year, which I still highly reccommend but I have to say that the Gunn House has become a new family favorite.

The rooms are all unique and different and I love the old-fashioned decor and rich color schemes and my kids loved the way the doors opened from the top half-they have never seen anything like that in this modern age! The beds were very comfortable and I slept very well, although according to other websites the hotel was rumored to be haunted, so my 15 year old awoke quite suddenly at 5 in the morning swearing that something had woke her up-I dont think so, her mind tends to run away from here!-LOL!

We were in no hurry to check out the next morning and were half tempted to extend our trip another day just to enjoy the hotel!
The breakfast was wonderful with the self-serve waffle maker, fresh fruit, juice, coffee, sweet breads, toast, cereal, oatmeal, bagels, etc., etc. We lingered over breakfast for nearly an hour and a half and were sad to check out. I will definitely be returning and would absolutely reccommend it to anyone!

I wouldnt say it is 5 star-but it is obvious that it is a labor of love to the owners and all their hard work was appreciated by me and my family! We WILL be back!

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonora
Best Western Plus Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center
#1 of 5 in Jamestown
The Groveland Hotel
The Groveland Hotel
#5 of 7 in Groveland

Been to Gunn House Hotel? Share your experiences!