“A Quaint Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Sonora
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
“A Quaint Hotel”
Reviewed 20 September 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights between 4th and 6th September 2009. Lovely old building with character. Rooms clean and inviting. We stayed at the back overlooking the small patio a pool. Great to have a verandah to sit out on. A fridge in the room would have been nice but not essential.

A breakfast to kill for. Fantastic baked savoury dish every morning. Ample tea and coffee, cereal, fresh fruit, juice toast, bagels and above all a bewildering choice of freshly baked sponges and cakes which were absolutely delicious.

Had to make a call home to the UK. Used my e-kit card but owners kindly allowed us to use the hotel telephone to connect to the e-kit number in San Francisco at no charge.

Staff were all very friendly, I would have no hesitation on recommending this hotel to anyone. Sonora is a nice small town with plenty to see and do. The town y should be proud to have a hotel such as Gunn House as an ambassador to visitors.

Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank charlesandrhona

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2009

A somewhat unusual place, even among the wide range of quirky family-run establishments to be found all over small town America.
Welcome a little brusque and hurried, in contrast to what others have found. Room well furnished and comfortable, but very gloomy and with no fridge which is a handy thing to have if you are travelling and if you like an ice cold gin and tonic. A very welcome pool, with towels provided, was ideal after a hot day in the National Park. The owners seem to patrol the place in either a menacing or friendly way, depending on your take. Breakfast taken in a pleasant room, presided over by a charming elderly lady. There is a huge selection of homemade cakes etc. all as fresh as a daisy, but maybe a bit sweet to start the day for European tastes.
Many people will understand what I mean when I say this place has the hint, just a hint of Fawlty Towers about it. Don’t let that put you off, it’s a gem and well different to all the bland offerings elsewhere. Before you leave the area, visit Jamestown and its railway museum.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Loz97
Granite Bay, California
Reviewed 25 August 2009

Dropped in on a Monday night in late August on a solo road trip. The owner was very kind and accommodating to me, showed me a couple of rooms, and gave me a really great rate. I got one of the rooms upstairs facing the street, which was just where I wanted to be! The leafy trees and the porch are so beautiful! Enjoyed watching the world of Sonora go by below.
I loved everything about being in this historic property. The beds are SO comfortable; I slept really well. AC worked; very important, it was hot! Used the pool, which was delightful in the evening. Loved the grounds and ambience. Breakfast was fantastic; quiche and baked goods delicious.
A small piece of the shower fell off while I was showering, but the water was easy to adjust, and hot, and there were nice toiletries. I loved being right in town and being able to walk to all the places i wanted to visit. Had a great dinner and stumbled home.
This is a beautiful historic property...all the quirks and charms of an older hotel in the Gold Country. This is no brand new chain hotel.
I did have a bit of an issue with the noise from the street, but that can't be helped. AC provided enough white noise that it wasn't a nuisance to sleep; however, I don't know what it would be like in winter! Speaking of which, I fully intend to come back to the Gunn House as soon as I can, can't wait to visit in winter!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank livinator
one08, Owner at Gunn House Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2009
We are so pleased you stopped in and stayed with us.
Northern Cali
Reviewed 23 August 2009

Well, let's see, there was the family night before July 4th, room #23. The birthday weekend July 22nd room #9 and now August 21st room #8. All good from here...

So, if you like the business of the main street through town, go for a front room like #9. I happen to like to watch the traffic go by. The rooms by the pool are a bit more private, but be sure, all the rooms are nice...since we have stayed in 3 of them, emaculant just the same. If you are coming to Sonora, the Gunn House is the place to stay. First time? You will be back! Repeat customers seems to be the norm here...nice place to stay to get away!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FREE22TRAVEL
North East England
Reviewed 19 August 2009

Stayed here en-route to Yosemite, very warm welcome, but not as hot as the temperature outside, so a dip in the pool was much needed and very welcome. We had a room at the back, so it was very quiet and the decor reflected the age of the building. We took them up on their recommendation of Bannys for dinner, it is well worth the visit. Never seen so many cakes at breakfast time, all home-made and totally delicious.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank janice36
one08, Owner at Gunn House Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2009
We are so very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2009

Arrived at Sonora after driving through beautiful Yosemite. The Gunhouse is easy to find as there is only one street. We had requested a quiet room and were shown a downstairs room in the original part of the house. Upon entering I sensed immediately something wasn't quite right. I thought I could smell damp, but wasn't quite sure. Anyway, we requested another room which was fine - very quaint and old worldy - the Gunhouse is the oldest building in Sonora.

We spent the afternoon walking through the town but something still wasn't quite right. Yes, it was very quaint, but seemed to be populated by strange souls who were a stick short of the bunch. All the shops were closed, the streets were empty yet there was a good deal of traffic. Anyway, night time came and we went to bed. I still did not know what my feelings were, but something wasn't quite right. I ended up waking at 3am, the noise of the aircon driving me to distraction. I felt weird and knew I wasn't going to get back to sleep, but also had a strong feeling not to stay in the room. So, I took my laptop and sat on the walkway outside. I thought it was weird that a couple who were staying in room 5 were also sitting out.

I eventually went back in at 4.30 to try to sleep. At 4.45 just as I was drifting off a massive thud came from behind us. Both my wife and I sat up and had no idea what the noise was. I then began to drift off again when I heard a 'clanging' noise from beneath our room - like pans being moved about. I assumed it was thew kitchen staff preparing for breakfast.

We eventually made breakfast at 8.30 (a fine array of cakes no less). In the corner sat an elderly lady who was charmed by our little boy. She was an employee there and lifelong resident of Sonora. We were the only ones there. My wife for some reason asked her whether the Gunhouse was haunted and without hesitation she told us it most certainly was. She herself had witnessed the figure of a lady leave the fireplace in the breakfast room and walk across the room seven years previously. The woman she was with saw it also and left the same day to go work at Walmart. During low season when she stays there alone (when the owners are on holiday) she would regularly hear commotion coming from the walkways outside the rooms and from certain rooms themselves. She would look but there would be nothing there.

Eventually they got professional 'ghostbusters' in who confirmed very strong presences and activity in quite a number of rooms, most notably in the honeymoon suite, which is where the Gunn family themselves used to sleep and in the original part of the house and the first extension.

I then spoke to one of the other cleaning staff who confirmed everything the old woman had said. She named the room numbers that she said the psychics had mentioned. I told her about the room we had originally been shown and the feeling I had - the 'dampish' smell etc. She told me that she doesn't even go into that room! I explained the 'clunking' sound from beneath our room and she told me that in May a woman had stayed there and despite locking and chaining the door on four separate occasions it flew open. She checked out at 3am. The kitchen was at the other side of the building so it wasn't breakfast being prepared. She also explained that room 5 was one of the rooms that was allegedly haunted - the room I saw the couple sitting outside of at 3.15am. Weird.

I have the heebie-jeebies just writing this but it was interesting to say the least. It is far from being an unpleasant place to stay, the owners are helpful and pleasant, but it has a 'feeling' for sure. Sonora itself seems to carry that very same feeling. A proper little ghost town I guess.

Bizarrely, our 8 month old boy slept through - the first time ever!

Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank notbrazil
one08, Day Manager at Gunn House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2009
Wow, it sounds like you had quit an eventful stay. Of course, we always appreciate and welcome guest comments, but unfortunately I personally cannot share your “ghostly adventure.” My family owned the Hotel for 40 years and we recently sold the building to its current owners 7 years ago. The owners graciously allowed me to continue working at the Hotel as the Day Manager. The Hotel was my childhood home, my first job and now my career. Can you believe it! 32 years later I still haven’t had a ghostly experience. Sorry, the current owners who live on the premises haven’t had any experiences either. However, it is true that professional ghost busters visited the Gunn House. After many hours investigating a hotel in Jamestown, they came to our hotel for a drink in our bar. Naturally, I’ve heard some very entertaining ghost stories, but I can only confirm them as just that: STORIES. And I promise, we haven’t lost any guests’ to a ghost yet!
MD
Reviewed 3 August 2009

My daughter and I passed through Sonora on our way from Yosemite. The place was very clean and very reasonable price wise. The owners were friendly enough. The breakfast was very good. There are several restaurants nearby for dinner. As someone noted - it is a bit noisy as it is on the main street. I took ear plugs and had no problems sleeping.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonora
Best Western Plus Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Cedar Inn & Suites
Sonora Inn
Sonora Inn
#4 of 8 in Sonora

Been to Gunn House Hotel? Share your experiences!