We were only in the area because we wanted to visit Yosemite, but were unable to find a reasonable hotel any nearer the Park than Sonora. Although we have stayed in Best Western hotels in the US previously and never had a bad experience, we were very pleased with all aspects of our stay here.
Firstly the area. It was our first visit to Gold Rush territory and we expected to run out of things to do after the Yosemite visit and a quick flip round the area. Not so. The town is fascinating, the people friendly, and if you love steam locos (who does't?), go to Jamestown, etc, etc. If you need to get the adrenalin going, drive over the Sonora Pass towards Mono Lake.
The hotel was friendly and welcoming. The staff immediately apologised for the problem with the spa pool, which was fixed on our last afternoon there.
Rooms spaceous, well maintained, and though we were on the second floor (1st floor in British parlance), the room had a shaded balcony which overlooked the pool. The pool itself was quite cool, but as the temperature poolside was stunningly hot, that was appreciated. We stayed for 5 nights, but for the majority of people, this is merely a transit point for moving on elsewhere. Indeed, one night we found ourseves amongst 85 other Brits who were travelling on organised coach tours.
Others have commented on the dining arrangements, with the on-site restaurant. It works well, and it is always encouraging to see local people coming into the place for breakfast/brunch before going about their daily tasks. the breakfast is included in the price, and there are multiple choices, and even some flexiblity within thse choices.
It is not haute cuisine, but it is good, wholesome, fast, friendly and reasonably priced. It also enabled us to try some foods or food combinations which were not familiar to us (meatloaf?).
Hard pressed to find a grumble...oh, we didn't see anything of the advertised wine tasting, but that did not ruin the holiday.
Some have commented on the distance from Yosemite. In our hire car, it took just over an hour each way, which is well worth the drive.
Would we go again? You bet.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay at this Sonora, California hotel conveniently located in the heart of Gold Country. Those in need of Yosemite lodging will not be disappointed at the Best Western Sonora Oaks! Guests will be a short distance from many landmarks and attractions, including the Sierra Railroad, Columbia State Park and Yosemite National Park. Guests will also be near Dodge Ridge Ski Area, Leland Snow Park and we are the closest hotel to Black Oak Casino. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, getaroom.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Best Western Plus Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Sonora Oaks Hotel And Conference Center
- Best Western Sonora Oaks Hotel Sonora
- Sonora Best Western
- Best Western Plus Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center California