“3.5 stars if possible”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Sonora
San Francisco
“3.5 stars if possible”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We spent 1 night here while exploring the Gold Rush country onward to Yosemite.

The property is located conveniently in the center of town, and I thought it was very reasonably priced.

It's not really a destination where you go to hang out in the room. Our room had sort of an awkward configuration, but it was comfortable for sleeping purposes.

With regards to the bathroom, there is a glitch with the shower temperatures, which we were warned about ahead of time. Ok for one night, but I'm not sure that I would want to deal with it on an ongoing basis.

The pool area is small, but a nice treat on a hot day. The exterior was a bit worn and the pool needed to be cleaned, but we stuck our feet in anyways.

They do offer a breakfast, and my boyfriend and I took one look at each other and determined that we would rather eat somewhere else. It wasn't really maintained and was all pre-packaged baked goods, not great start for a trek to Yosemite.

Overall, I liked the hotel and would stay again when exploring the area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Rohnert Park, California
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Sonora Inn is a place that you can feel the history when you stay here. You walk back in time when you walk into the hotel. Yes, the floors are not even and the rooms are small as well as the bathroom. Yes, the room can be a bit noisy, you have to remember that this hotel was built back in 1896 when they did not have big rigs driving by, or motorcycles/Harleys gunning the engine and people who went to bed at dark. You get a room that was built for people who came to do business or go panning for gold. They did not have wi-fi back then either. You want a room with space and high speed internet, stay at a Hilton or Holiday Inn. You want to visit a town and hotel with a bit of history, stay at the Sonora Inn. The rooms are beautifully decorated with the colors of the era that it was built, warm and inviting. The beds are comfortable. They do have an AC unit that is in the window, bit loud, but it does the job. Did I forget to mention, the staff was courteous and very informative of places to go and places not to eat. You want excellent food, go next door to Christopher's Ristorante Italiano's and enjoy a glass of wine. You want to stay in a hotel with history, stay at the Sonora Inn. We will be back again to stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: When booking a room, ask for a room that is not located near the elevator, stairs or the main road.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Groton, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 21 June 2013

My Husband and I booked this hotel for our wedding night. We paid for the hotel nearly 2 weeks in advanced and when we paid I told the lady at the front desk that it was for our wedding night so we would not be in until late. The night of our wedding at nearly 11 pm my husband and I went to check into our hotel. We were told that our reservation had been cancelled due to our debit card being rejected. My husband pulled up the charge on our bank app on my phone and told them we had already paid in full. The lady said she'd tried to call twice but no one answered, I had no missed calls on my phone and they had no other rooms available. When I asked for a refund the General Manager was trying to tell me that I couldn't get my money back until the following day and then was "trying to figure out why the money didn't post the same day we paid" like we were trying to scam them. We had to argue for nearly 15 minutes just to get our money back. There were no other hotels open that night and me and my husband ended up spending our wedding night at my parents house! There are many more hotels in Sonora that are much better to spend your money on! Don't waste your time here!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Sonora hotels

winchester, ma
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Needs updating in its bathrooms, but otherwise all the basics are there. Reasonably priced and a handy location for a stopover on the way to Yosemite. Town also charming. Decor old-fashioned but we liked it that way. No glitz and no frills. We'd go back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
sparks nv
Reviewed 10 June 2013

This is a relatively inexpensive place to stay. It's an historic inn, so the rooms are small. But, they have everything a person could need except possibly a small fridge. Everything was absolutely clean. One day I dropped my keys down the old elevator shaft. The custodian was able to retrieve them. The entire staff was super friendly and helpful. Would stay again in a second.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Turlock, California
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I upgraded to a suite, the room was nice size. Like others the shower was horrible HOT HOT then ice cold!!! back and forth the whole shower! Not just like it was warm water it was so hot I was burned and so cold I cold not stand under the water. Made it really hard to get ready for the wedding we were there to attend. WILL NOT STAY EVER AGAIN!! I also called to tell a manager and never received a call back to even say sorry for you unpleasant recent stay. I have also told many others find somewhere else to stay!!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms here as NO ONNE in our party of 12 had a good stay.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Sonora Inn for three nights during our first visit to this area. It's a nice place for being so old. We loved the elevator! Our room was clean and comfortable... BUT the shower was horrible. Hot then cold, hot, cold, hot, cold... Fix the water issues and we will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonora
Best Western Plus Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Royal Carriage
Country Inn Sonora
Country Inn Sonora
#5 of 5 in Jamestown

Been to Sonora Inn? Share your experiences!