“Night in Sonora”

Sonora Inn
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Sonora
“Night in Sonora”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Great place to stay, we got the two queen bed room for my wife son and I. Great location too. Definitely not the Ritz but would recommend for one or two nights. Staff was also very helpful, the room was clean. Pool is good to just don't expect a lot of privacy.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Upon a last minute stop before Yosemite, we stopped at a few hotels in the area looking for vacancies. A couple of the hotels (California Inn specifically) along the same road had employees who looked as if they rolled out of bed. At least they were nice enough to call the Sonora Inn and check there occupancy.

The Sonora Inn had a nice Spanish style decor with employee's that look professional. They didn't have a regular room so they upgraded us to a suite at no charge. Big room with with french style doors over looking the town, a little road noise in the morning but a great view from the balcony. The bathroom was a little dated but clean and manageable.

I would definitely stay again if I ever get a chance to pass through.

Room Tip: A small restaurants and shops located within the same block.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dayville, Oregon
Reviewed 12 August 2013

If you know what you're getting into, you won't be disappointed in your stay at the historic Sonora Inn. I have been a visitor since I was a child in the 1950s. There was a LOT less traffic then, which is important because the hotel is located on the corner of the MAIN intersection into and out of town. Rooms are small, tastefully decorated in Victorian style. Bed was comfortable. Bathrooms are tiny with no countertop space. Original tilework adds quaint touch to the bathrooms, BUT the hot water fluctuates unpredictably and the smell and taste (ie if you brush your teeth) is NASTY NASTY NASTY. Metallic. So don't expect good coffee in the morning - weak and nasty! Continental breakfast is pre-packaged junk food and even the OJ was awful. Worst offense is definitely the noise. If you just want to experience the historical aspects of the visit, and have read all the reviews, then you will have a pleasant, if rough overnight stay.

Room Tip: Request a room on the inside, away from the streets on a higher floor (3rd is the highest). Expect...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
San Francisco
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We spent 1 night here while exploring the Gold Rush country onward to Yosemite.

The property is located conveniently in the center of town, and I thought it was very reasonably priced.

It's not really a destination where you go to hang out in the room. Our room had sort of an awkward configuration, but it was comfortable for sleeping purposes.

With regards to the bathroom, there is a glitch with the shower temperatures, which we were warned about ahead of time. Ok for one night, but I'm not sure that I would want to deal with it on an ongoing basis.

The pool area is small, but a nice treat on a hot day. The exterior was a bit worn and the pool needed to be cleaned, but we stuck our feet in anyways.

They do offer a breakfast, and my boyfriend and I took one look at each other and determined that we would rather eat somewhere else. It wasn't really maintained and was all pre-packaged baked goods, not great start for a trek to Yosemite.

Overall, I liked the hotel and would stay again when exploring the area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Rohnert Park, California
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Sonora Inn is a place that you can feel the history when you stay here. You walk back in time when you walk into the hotel. Yes, the floors are not even and the rooms are small as well as the bathroom. Yes, the room can be a bit noisy, you have to remember that this hotel was built back in 1896 when they did not have big rigs driving by, or motorcycles/Harleys gunning the engine and people who went to bed at dark. You get a room that was built for people who came to do business or go panning for gold. They did not have wi-fi back then either. You want a room with space and high speed internet, stay at a Hilton or Holiday Inn. You want to visit a town and hotel with a bit of history, stay at the Sonora Inn. The rooms are beautifully decorated with the colors of the era that it was built, warm and inviting. The beds are comfortable. They do have an AC unit that is in the window, bit loud, but it does the job. Did I forget to mention, the staff was courteous and very informative of places to go and places not to eat. You want excellent food, go next door to Christopher's Ristorante Italiano's and enjoy a glass of wine. You want to stay in a hotel with history, stay at the Sonora Inn. We will be back again to stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: When booking a room, ask for a room that is not located near the elevator, stairs or the main road.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Groton, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 21 June 2013

My Husband and I booked this hotel for our wedding night. We paid for the hotel nearly 2 weeks in advanced and when we paid I told the lady at the front desk that it was for our wedding night so we would not be in until late. The night of our wedding at nearly 11 pm my husband and I went to check into our hotel. We were told that our reservation had been cancelled due to our debit card being rejected. My husband pulled up the charge on our bank app on my phone and told them we had already paid in full. The lady said she'd tried to call twice but no one answered, I had no missed calls on my phone and they had no other rooms available. When I asked for a refund the General Manager was trying to tell me that I couldn't get my money back until the following day and then was "trying to figure out why the money didn't post the same day we paid" like we were trying to scam them. We had to argue for nearly 15 minutes just to get our money back. There were no other hotels open that night and me and my husband ended up spending our wedding night at my parents house! There are many more hotels in Sonora that are much better to spend your money on! Don't waste your time here!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
winchester, ma
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Needs updating in its bathrooms, but otherwise all the basics are there. Reasonably priced and a handy location for a stopover on the way to Yosemite. Town also charming. Decor old-fashioned but we liked it that way. No glitz and no frills. We'd go back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonora
Best Western Plus Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Royal Carriage
Jamestown Hotel
Jamestown Hotel
#1 of 5 in Jamestown

Been to Sonora Inn? Share your experiences!