“Classic Old Hotel Needs Owner's Compassion and TLC”
Review of Sonora Inn

Sonora Inn
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Sonora
Dallas
“Classic Old Hotel Needs Owner's Compassion and TLC”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Sonora is a sleepy Gold Rush mining town. Seems like the Chamber of Commerce has no goals. Town needs a traffic plan to route more traffic away from city. Sonora Inn (and the town) suffers from being ignored. Is there a business plan other than I want to operate an historic hotel? "Continental breakfast" should be omitted if that's all the imagination they have. I asked the kitchen for decaf coffee and was abruptly told to ask at the front desk - where the person at the front desk was hiding in an office apparently reading a book. I sensed that I interrupted them. I know it's slow folks, but you do have some paying customers. The walls are thin and TVs and loud conversations can be heard from other rooms. Windows should be double paned to cut down on street noise. There are other historic hotels a few miles away that deserve your attention before the Sonora Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the streets - if there are any.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank RussianRiverWineGuy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Modesto, California
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

I always wanted to stay in this hotel, and I'm very glad we did. Super friendly and helpful staff. Our room was the size of a shoebox but was super cute and fit what we needed. We could hear our neighbors move about but in the end I'm sure the got the worst end of it. Got up early the next morning so that we could ho home and sleep in our own bed. As there's were not that great. Although I would probably not return, I loved that we tried it out and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2014
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We as a family (2 adults + 2 teen children) were on our way to Yosemite from Tahoe and decided to stay at Sonora as a last minute call as it would be dark by the time we reached Yosemite. Sonora Inn is an institution (I think built in 1896), There was a great old world charm to it. We got our room quickly. Got a good 'on the spot' discount. The room with 2 queen beds was huge with all latest amenities including LCD TV and coffee maker. The hotel is centrally located on the main street with a supermarket close by. We went for dinner to this great Thai restaurant which was one block away. The free included continental breakfast was sufficient but could have been better. Next morning we got up and within 2 hours we were in the centre of the Yosemite Valley. Great place to stay for on a road trip !

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main street as that could get noisy
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Location-Location-Location! that was the only reason for me to book this hotel thru Expedia. We were in Sonora in February, it was cool yet no snow on the ground. We new that the hotel was 'historical' but did not expect it to be so NOT comfortable. Entrance/ lobby is beautifully decorated and check-in was fast. But after that we went to the 'historical' elevator - and it was difficult to open the door into its small compartment pushing/ pulling your luggage at the same time. There was nobody around to help. Hotel offers minimum service - when i came to the front desk with my laptop and questions about wi-fi issues, the manager bluntly informed me that 'in his country' they do not teach computers. I did not ask him what country he was talking about...The room was strangely decorated - some pieces of furniture were nice and useful, but others were not. With two night stands on both sides of the bed, we got only one lamp. Another light was directly opposite the bed high on the wall, plus the ceiling light. I liked the idea of encasing the flat panel TV blending it with the rest of the dark wood furniture. But next to the TV was the a/c built into the wndow - it was heating the room only when it was on the maximum power, and so noisy that we could not hear the TV sound. When we shut the A/C, in five minutes the room was cold again. Luckily for us, we did not spend a lot of time in the room, exploring the area, antiquing, driving to Murphy for vine tasting, and such. Coming to the room for the night, taking a shower, we could not miss the beauty of old tiles and woodwork. They install a new big shower head to improve the water flow, but it took for ever to wait for warm water. Why did they keep the old sink? it was very uncomfortable, and did not add to the beauty of the bathroom which has enough space for a nice roomy countertop, but as for now you can dance in that bathroom but hardly find a place for your toiletries. And again - cold!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Sonora hotels

Sacramento, California
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This was the 2nd time I've stayed at the Sonora Inn. I was probably spoiled the first time as I was given the "honeymoon suite" even though a regular room had been booked. This time we were in a regular room. The rooms are smaller than traditional hotel rooms but its to be expected with a place this old. We had to go buy a power strip as the outlets were too few for us with 2 phones, 2 tablets and 2 laptops. I would have loved to have a bit more water pressure and the shower head, while perfect for me, was much too low for my guy. All in all, I cant help but really like this place with its charm and you cant beat the location for access to Sonora's eateries and shops. I'll stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed here for a night on our trip to sonora pass and tioga pass via mono lake. Booked the room through hotels.com and it took some customer service phone calls for the hotel to get the fax about the reservations... after that checkin was smooth.

@ The hotel: building is OLD, which is not necessarily bad thing. It does add a little bit of a character to the hotel. The hallways and stairs have a rustic charm ...

@ the room: We had one queen bed room (# 242) and unlike to what others said in their reviews, it was NOT that spacious... The room had no facilities like fridge, microwave etc. There was an AC and a TV though. Overall the room was average. Pillows weren't that comfortable for me.

@ Breakfast: Absolutely below average. The only thing I could eat was boiled egg... nothing else was fresh. Everything was frozen.

@Location: Very good location. Nice restaurants in walking distance.

@Price: Seems pricey for the kind of hotel it turned out to be. Our room was 85$ per night and I've stayed in cheaper hotels that offer better rooms and breakfast than this.

Summary: Stay for the location, everything else you can do better

Room Tip: Avoid road facing rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Reviewed 27 March 2014

The hotel is conveniently located in the center of Sonora where there are many good restaurants and shops. We spent two nights in the Grace Kelly Room which was located by the main street of Sonora with constant traffic noise into the late night. We did not partake of the unattractive breakfast: packaged pastry items and juice, coffee and tea, and boiled eggs. The room itself was large with comfortable bed and sofa. The care of the facility was lacking with evident paint chipping and plastic cups in the bathroom. The toilet stopped up and the clerk (not a maintenance person) came to unplug it with a plunger--since she was in a dress, I plunged it for her. Free parking is available behind the hotel in a parking lot. Overall, for the affordable price, the hotel was decent.

Room Tip: Choose a quieter room toward the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonora
Best Western Plus Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Royal Carriage
Jamestown Hotel
Jamestown Hotel
#1 of 5 in Jamestown

Been to Sonora Inn? Share your experiences!