“A bit of the tropics in South Pasadena”
Review of Canoe House

Canoe House
Cuisines: Polynesian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: New-Replaced a neighborhood restaurant called Wild Thyme
Reviewed 7 August 2012

While I do miss WIld Thyme, I have to admit that they've done a nice job of bringing in a fun tropical option with the Canoe House. My green chile burger was great, served with a generous portion of hot tasty french fries. Everyone in my party was pleased with their choices. Though the chicken wraps were a tad on the salty side. Our server was very friendly and attentive. The only downside was that it was a little too warm and stuffy. Kicking up the a/c would have made it a more pleasant experience.

Reviewed 25 May 2012

My first visit to this restaurant was disappointing. Not because the food was bad, it wasn't. Not because I didn't like the decor, it was well done, not authentic but certainly fun. I just missed the neighborhood vibe and feel of the restaurant it replaced. Yes I admit to a certain "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mind set and I probably dined at the old place at least once a week or more. But I got over it and decided to give the new place a try. And there's really nothing wrong with it, but it's been months since they opened and I don't have the heart (or any reason) to go back.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

We gave the Canoe House a try on a Saturday evening and had a great meal. The service was fast and friendly.

My wife had the mango chicken ginger soup and the wedge salad. The soup was very good, and was made with chunks of mango and chicken meat. The salad had blue cheese, bacon, corn and bell peppers.

For me I had the pulled pork sandwich with a small dinner salad. The sandwich was very good with ‘island’ cole slaw and a slice of gouda cheese on it. Another plus was the bun that tasted fresh made.

The salad was a step above the usual with spinach, bacon bits and a custom dressing. Don’t know what it was called.

I ordered a dinner salad instead of fries was because I was trying to balance out the horrific calorie bomb of the Pineapple Coconut milk shake. It was old fashioned, chunky and absolutely fantastic.

We liked the South Seas decor very much. They even had the obligatory hula girl painting (with coconuts!) on the ladies restroom door.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

It started out like it was the best food in the world but that has changed. Their food is ok not the good ok the bad one. It is cheap and very bad

Reviewed 27 March 2012

This used to be Wild Thyme, and when we noticed it changed to Canoe House, we got curious. I was not impressed by Wild Thyme before, so I did not miss it. We decided to check out the menu online and saw that there were things on there we could try, so we went to dinner there on Sunday. I noticed a nice firepit going in the patio area. It was welcoming and cute, but it was too cold due to the earlier rain to sit outside. We were seated right away at a booth. Everything was nice and new. The decor was very attracative island style. I ordered a seared ahi soft taco, and hubby got the burger classic with fries. Food came in about 10 minutes. Quantity is not overwhelming but it's decent. I finished my 3 soft tacos, and hubby could not finish his burger. We ordered a mud pie and it was fine, but nothing special. It tasted like the mud pie I used to buy from Trader Joe's. There are tons of flat screen TVs hanging along the walls all around, so sports fans would love to eat here. The bar area looked nice, but we did not drink alcoholic beverages, so we can't attest to the strength of their drinks. Overall our experience was pretty awesome, so we'll be back again. Both our dishes were under $10 each.

1  Thank Pon N