“Just need a little tutoring about beer”

Griffins of Kinsale
Cuisines: Irish
The OC
“Just need a little tutoring about beer”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is a real pub. Nothing fancy and, thank goodness, no TV. You won't find one better in LA. So please, stay away so it doesn't get all crowded up for locals. One irony is that the best beer in terms of taste and pour is the California-made Lagunitas. Their other choices are British and Irish, but not of much variety, and at least the Smithwick's is flat.

That brings me to the biggest problem with this place: the barkeeps are clueless about beer. They will pour a Guinness, for instance, in any old glass that comes to hand unless you tell them otherwise.

Wake up, gals (a term used on purpose). You can do way better, unless it just doesn't matter, which is kind of how it seems you feel.

Still, the atmosphere is so perfect, I won't stop showing up.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank EnglandScotland

South Pasadena, California
“Have a pint and some fun with the locals.....”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I LOVE this place. The food is completely fine, but that's not why I go. The Griffin family has created a true community Public House (which is what a pub is, after all). Great music some nights, but always friendly chatty people in a beautiful and authentic pub setting.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank micmcb
Los Angeles, California
“Irish Blast”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

St Paddy's Day has been rather lackluster for me in years past, but a parishioner said, "Hey, I hear there's a great band playing around lunch time at this pub called 'Griffins.' Whattaya think?" Well, we went, and we had a fantastic time. I mean, I was thoroughly happy with having gone, and I ate one of their cabbage dogs and drank a couple IPA's. Yes, I know, Guinness is the official beer of Irish anything, but even Guinness, I hear, is changing it up a bit in these days of evolving palates.
The music was really great, and the pretty fiddler would periodically drop her instrument to start clogging, or river-dancing, or both if they're the same. Then the customers would do likewise on the little dance-floor. The rest of us would clap or stomp, sip our beer, and smile constantly. The gals that work here are attractive and attentive; the food, slightly slow in coming but hits the spot the way it's intended when it does arrive. I stayed about two hours and left feeling like I had a wonderful St. Paddy's experience, and I couldn't wait to get home to get my corned beef on. I only wish this place was closer, but I must say that there is a strong Irish customer base, as I found myself talking to many strangers who identified as such, and isn't everyone Irish on this day?? I might just make this place a regular haunt. Thumbs up Griffins, and "Sláinte!"

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank RevLovebrew
Los Angeles, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not what I'd hoped for”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I had great hopes for a good Irish Pub in the area but the three times I've been there I was so disappointed. In chatting with the owner I was given the impression that this is his "toy" and he really isn't into presenting us with the real deal.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank IrishRose100
Pasadena, California, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Can't get much more Irish than Griffins”
Reviewed 29 August 2012

When it comes to the old neighborhood hang out, Griffins is hard to beat. Great choice of libations, including Guinness Draught and some rare tequilas. Very unique selection of authentic Irish specialties like Griffin's Wings , Cabbage Dogs, and, of course, their famous Shephard's Pie. Real Deal Irish Musicians stand in from time to time during the week days and all weekends...

• Visited August 2012