“For California, very good!”
Review of Gus's Barbecue

Gus's Barbecue
Reserve with OpenTable
Gus's Barbecue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$11 - US$30
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Mission Street
Transit: Gus's is located only a couple of blocks from the South Pasadena gold line station.
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

First off, I've had really good BBQ in Texas, Tennessee, and North Carolina. This is not there, but is VERY good for the L. A. area. The baby back ribs were good, the brisket ok and over sauced, the pulled pork EXCELLENT, the gumbo very good, the baked beans EXCELLENT, the cole slaw a joke (shredded cabbage with a little vinegary sauce), the collard greens GREAT (possibly the best I've had), and the cornbread was almost a dessert. That said, I would definitely go back.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

This was our first time here. We went to celebrate my husband's birthday. He really wanted to eat barbecue ribs, so a friend recommended us this place. He had the biggest portion of barbecue ribs and it was truly too much, he couldn't even eat half of it. They were good but nothing outstanding.
My 8year old had the kids portion and it was perfect for him, he enjoyed them very much. I had the veggie burger and it was ok too. Nice restaurant, good service, but I don't think it is worth coming back.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Late Lunch, and was not disappointed with the yummy ness! We had beef sausage, chicken, tri-tip, with a side of cole slaw and smash potatoes. The meat was a rich sweet succulent bone less meal! The corn bread with jalapeno sauce was just great! Save, room for the wonderful pecan pie! Enough food for two to share one order! Loved it!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We went to this restaurant to have a late lunch. Was really not impressed by the food. In fact the best thing about my order which was the chicken fried steak was the side of creamed corn and that was about it. My husband ordered the texas brisket and he felt that it was just soso. He felt that the meat was smoked to death. We had very high expectation coming to this restaurant based on the many good reviews we read about it. Unfortunately it is a disappointment. On top of this everything is ala carte which makes this place very expensive for what you get. Half orders of bbq dishes are at $20. I don't think it is worth it.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I enjoyed the food but I thought the beer was very expensive and the portions were small. It is also very hard to park on Fair Oaks so I seldom go there.