“Troubled and this is not a fair review”
Review of Arroyo Vista Inn

Arroyo Vista Inn
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 September 2011

I have reviewed many hotels. I booked it early. It looked amazing. I knew I was choosing the least expensive room, but was so disappointed when I heard that a huge discount was given to my fellow travelers. I inquired about an upgrade, but the owner was very distracted and rude. Beware: the rooms on the third floor do NOT have windows that open. This was a worry for me and I felt very claustrophobic. It is such a BEAUTIFUL place. The breakfast and staff are A+. I left really sad and disappointed.

Room Tip: Pay +++to have the amazing rooms. DO NOT book the third floor. Do not expect any sincere personalit...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank artizan
Management response:Responded 3 October 2011

This guest indeed chose and booked one of the least expensive rooms which have fewer amenities. When she saw the more expensive rooms that her companions had booked, she said in front of them and me, ”Why couldn’t I get a room like that?” I told her she could have any room available and receive the same discount that her friends got. Instead of taking that offer she asked for a free upgrade to one of our most expensive rooms and threatened to write a bad review unless I upgraded her for free. I was not about to give away a more expensive room just because a guest threatened to write a bad review. I’m glad that this person found the Arroyo Vista Inn “a BEAUTIFUL place” and “the breakfast and staff are A+,” but am taken aback that someone resorts to personal attacks when they don’t get what they want for free.

Reviewed 5 September 2011

This bed and breakfast is so well designed and accomadating it is like being at your own home... only the best part is you do not have to do the cooking or cleaning. I always enjoy my stays at Arroyo Vista Inn because all the rooms have a unique feel to them and the view is absolutely gorgeous. I love the inn keepers and the food is amazing. The comfort and accomadation is some of the best I have ever revieced. I truly recommend this bed and breakfast to all my friends and family because I would not want anyone I know to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a jacuzzi tub :)
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank wmarne
Reviewed 3 September 2011

We had been doing another South Pasadena B&B for years for our spring getaway. But it had gotten a bit grey around the edges, so we tried the pricier Arroyo Vista. Beautiful craftsman home, breath-taking view. Comfy and roomy room with awesome candy by the bed. Walkable to South Pas and just far enough to walk off one of the gourmet dinners of the various South Pas eateries. Ohmigosh, the hot breakfasts were to die for, hot and tasty. Great cookies in the common room. Enjoyed talking with the owners and other guests the first morning. What interesting folks! I stopped short of giving the place an excellent rating only because the second night the room had not been made up (and I had been spending all day thinking about that bedside fudge!) and the second morning the owners were nowhere to be found. The overall experience was so awesome that I couldn't bring myself to try to find them to ask whether making up the room was or was not to be expected, but it leaves a question mark hanging about whether we will return.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BirdBikingBuddha
Management response:Responded 7 September 2011

We strive to provide an excellent experience for every guest who comes to Arroyo Vista Inn. We hope this can be seen from the overall tone of our guest reviews. We are happy that this guest enjoyed the breakfasts, the homemade cookies and candy, the views, the great old house, and the other guests. (We have the most interesting and fabulous guests...Check out our blog, "Arroyo Vista Inn Guests Are Talking About...") Because this guest visited five months ago (April), we are unable to determine how the cleaning of his room was overlooked. In order to avoid a future recurrence for any guest, we have instituted a new cleaning checklist that will identify the individual who cleans each room. This new procedure should provide the extra accountability to prevent a recurrence of inconvenience to any guest. We look forward to the return of this guest so we may try again to earn his "excellent" rating.

Reviewed 14 July 2011

We stayed for two nights on a mini-vacation to the area. The room was beautiful, very peaceful feeling, and very quiet. You feel far away from the hubbub but you can get everywhere in the area very easily and quickly. Breakfasts were delicious. Sodas, bottled water, and cookies were available all day and the afternoon wine and cheese was a nice pick-me-up while we played scrabble on the porch, talked, and recovered enough from busy days of sight-seeing to go out again for dinner. Lots of great restaurants and things to see only short distances away - the Gamble House (gorgeous Arts & Craft house tour), Old Pasadena, and The Huntington (gardens and art museums) were favorites. For food we recommend Mi Piace in Old Pasadena and Marston's near the Gamble House. We could happily have spent several more days. There are a wealth of books about the history and attractions of Pasadena and surrounds and the owner/host Pat had good recommendations too.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 July 2011

This beautiful old home built in the early 1900's was truly home away from home. The beautiful comon rooms, the wide front porch for early morning reading or sipping wine in the afternoon and of course the wonderful breakfast!
Pat and her staff truly made us feel welcome! We will be back soon!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2011

Arroyo Vista Inn consistently receives excellent reviews and this will be no exception! I stayed for 3 nights and every second was perfect. My intent was to relax and rejuvenate in a beautiful setting and the inn is simply magical in melting away all my stress. What makes the inn extra special, though, is not just its vibe of tranquility and calm, but the warmth and hospitality of Pat and her wonderful staff. Deanna, Pat's assistant, greeted me every morning with a friendly smile. She prepared beautiful plates of fresh fruit and berries, fresh-squeezed orange juice, amazing blueberry pancakes, hearty strips of bacon....I could go on and on! I had the chance to meet other guests and share stories. Conversations were delightful. My room was heavenly and I slept soundly every night. I cannot emphasize enough how special this place is. Go, if you can, even for one night (preferably more!) You will be seriously impressed. If there is a gold standard of a bed and breakfast, Arroyo Vista Inn would be IT.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 June 2011

My husband and I just returned from a stay at this lovely bed and breakfast. We were celebrating our anniversary and Pat the owner had a bottle of champagne, strawberries and the most delicious homemade english toffee in our room. We stayed in room 7 the Monte Vista room. It had a lovely view and kingsize bed. Everything from our greeting by the host to our room, the breakfast and the wonderful people we met could not have been a better way to spend our anniversary. Thank you Pat and staff, we truly enjoyed your lovely home.
Dick and Marsha Van voorhis

DusitD2 Hotel Constance Pasadena
The Westin Pasadena
The Westin Pasadena
#3 of 31 in Pasadena

Been to Arroyo Vista Inn? Share your experiences!