“Gorgeous property” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Danville, California
“Gorgeous property”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

My daughter and I stayed there on a recent quick visit to So Cal. It's a gorgeous old house, beautifully maintained and decorated. Very comfortable, with perhaps the best breakfast I've had in years! Even had wine and cheese and crackers out for us when we arrived at midnight! Highly recommend.

Room Tip: The website shows photos and features of each room. They all looked lovely.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Hebrew first
Charlbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

We arrived to no welcome, we had been warned that it was self check in and so carried on. We could see that the room we had booked already had someone in and we had been given another room. We had chosen a specific room, this had been confimed on first booking and final confirmation. We managed to raise a lady helping out who kindly contacted the manager/owner? She turned up with some attitude and showed us the room we had been assigned. This was at the front hanging over the very busy/noisy road and at that time (mid afternoon) in full sunlight ie very hot. There was one other option but that was even worse and the attitude was take it or leave it.
The room had a door which led onto a tatty balcony which lead by a very visible stairway to the road (not very secure), for obvious reasons we chose not to use this. All the windows were painted shut, so no air and anyway that would have let in the considerable noise from the road.
The bed and pillows and linen were adequate but let down by one of those plastic mattress covers. I am not incontinent and do not enjoy lying on plastic. The bathroom was no doubt meant to be rustic but in truth was tatty and in need of refurbishment. The much vaunted "antiques" were the usual dark brown reproduction numbers.
Breakfast was a joy though, thanks to the calm and effective running of a single male who cooked a served an excellent meal with charm and courtesy. All other staff, as much as they were allowed to, were pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: This is not the rural, quiet and serene place we are lead to believe it is. Don't go there if y...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Rosemary J
arroyovistainn335, Owner at Arroyo Vista Inn, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
As the owner and manager of Arroyo Vista Inn, I am very sorry to hear this guest had a less than satisfactory stay. We strive to please all of our guests as much as possible. SInce I was not there and did not greet the guests myself, I am a bit unsure of the details of how the guests were treated by our employee. I will say that the person with whom the guest interacted is no longer employed by Arroyo Vista Inn.
Over the past six years, I have learned that all guest experiences are subjective. Thankfully, the vast majority of our guests truly appreciate the experience, setting, cleanliness and style of our B & B. We do not hold ourselves out as a traditional, antique-laden B & B. We have a few antiques, which are truly antiques. Our furniture is eclectic and, generally, much more modern than most bed and breakfasts, with most of the furniture being quite new.
I am thankful that the guests enjoyed the cooking of our delightful new weekend chef. I wish these guests had stayed longer than one night so that we could have improved our image and their enjoyment of the Inn, and I sincerely regret any dissatisfaction they experienced.
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

We were here only for one night but I wish we could have stayed longer because this beautiful B&B keeps getting better and better; you are always welcome with their delicious cookies and fruit (tangerines from their own trees) and at around 5:00p.m. there is fine wine, cheeses and nuts) they also keep a refrigerator well stocked with all kinds of drinks including sparkling water and if you want coffee or tea they also have it available for you; we love their breakfasts and their new chef is amazing, we had the french toast with berries and it was delicious and healthy along with great coffee and fresh squeezed orange juice; this time we stayed in room 9 with an amazing jacuzzi tub for two, we are locals but can't resist to escape even for one night to this beautiful B&B; book a room you won't regret it!

Room Tip: They are all beautiful but we love room 7 and 9
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

I had a wonderful stay at the Inn, the room was quiet and comfortable with a large bathroom full of amenities. I especially enjoyed the healthy and delicious breakfasts served in a window lined room overlooking the hillside landscape. Hidden away above the road in a grove of trees, the restored house and surroundings welcome you to experience a bygone era, The Inn has great access to public transportation and major arterials for visits to surrounding localities and beyond. I will return on future trips to the area.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Martha2012_13
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

The Arroyo Vista Inn is a beautiful spot in the LA area. Away from the hustle and bustle of the city, you feel secluded and spoiled at the Inn, enjoying a home-like atmosphere amidst quiet surroundings. The establishment is an older, renovated home, and very quiet--you'd never really know there were other guests, except at the wonderful breakfasts. These are prepared with care, with good coffee, a selection of fruits, fresh juice, and a variety of choices for the main course. Pat also includes cheese and wine in the evening--so it's easy to relax after a busy day. Good restaurants are within walking distance. We've stayed a few times, and recommend a stay to friends and family.

Room Tip: The Inn has 3 floors, we've stayed on them all, and have had great experiences in every room. W...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravelswithJimR
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012

First things first: we will be back and we will be recommending this amazing Inn to everyone we know. Now, as to particulars: we have stayed in many, many places all over the world. No other accommodations can hold a candle to this wonderful Inn.
The owner Pat was gracious and friendly--she was the perfect hostess; informative and helpful when asked, but not intrusive or unmindful of our desire for a quiet getaway. Our fascination with the property was greeted with her invitation to look anywhere and everywhere--including a wonderful hillside 'cellar' used for storage and a wine racks.. The building itself consists of rooms that will effortlessly take you back to more gracious, elegant and comfortable time; yet, this elegance does not make one hesitant to enjoy the furnishings and amenities! You do not feel like you are invading a museum, but, rather, being asked to holiday at the home of a genteel family of impressive means.
Breakfast was pure Heaven and was, once again, enhanced by Pat's respectful attentiveness. The veranda, porches, views, furnishings captivated us from the moment we drove up the winding road to the Inn. There is much to see and explore; if you come looking for me at home here in Long Beach and find me missing, you may just find me on Pat's veranda, on the glider with an iced tea in hand and the scent of roses or fruiting trees wafting around me.
TRULY AS GOOD AS IT GETS!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great--truly! The owners would never compromise on the quality they offer to the...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dave R
Ojai, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

My husband and I booked this hotel for our wedding night because it was fairly close the Pasadena venue where we had the ceremony. Let's break this down:

The good stuff: Lovely place and lovely grounds, it's a bit tricky to find, being tucked on a hillside off of the road. But the building itself is fantastic!!! The decor was impeccable, rooms were very quiet and there was not a lot of traveling sound (because who wants that on their wedding night, right?) our lovely room on the 3rd floor (more about that later) had a large, 2 person spa tub and really classy decor. The linens were great quality and the bed itself was super comfy.

We had a very good breakfast the next day and they were kind to offer us something lactose free (because I am lactose intolerant). Great coffee and fresh fruit, lastly there were complimentary bottles of water and soda in a cooler downstairs. All of this was terrific!

The not-so-great part: Apparently there is a city ordinance that forbids the opening of windows on a 3rd floor (not the hotels fault, for sure). This drove both my husband and I nuts, we are both fresh air fanatics and the room was STUFFY even though they had a ceiling fan and climate control. I hate sleeping with the A/C on all night so it ended up being a little claustrophobic for my taste. Also, the hotel had been very kind to leave us a bottle of champagne (I am guessing it's because of our wedding night though nothing was written or said) but my husband has been sober for 16 years, so it would have been nice to have a non alcoholic option. Again, not horrible, but I could have been really a nice touch.
By far the most disappointing thing was the lady who picks up the phone. WOW I don't know if she just has an unfortunate phone voice, or really does hate speaking to people on the phone but every time I called, she would huff and puff and give a big sigh like to talk to me was the worst inconvenience ever! If it was just one time, then OK whatever, she might just be having a lousy day. But I had to call a few times over the course of a few months and she never sounded remotely pleasant. It makes you a little leery of staying someplace when the reservations desk comes off so surly.
Lastly, and this is SUPER nit picky and I wouldn't mention it if the reservations person hadn't been so sketchy, but not one person wished us well, or congratulated us on our wedding or even acknowledged we had one.. Again, by no means are we entitled to this, but it would have been a nice touch.

Room Tip: If you want fresh air avoid the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Hilton Pasadena
Hilton Pasadena
#5 of 31 in Pasadena
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,119 reviews

Been to Arroyo Vista Inn? Share your experiences!