“Enjoyed out stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, CA
“Enjoyed out stay”
Reviewed 7 October 2008

We enjoyed a lovely stay at the Inn. We went for a "girls weekend" and booked two rooms. We arranged to drop off our luggage early in the day and found our keys waiting for us. We also were able to arrange for a slightly earlier breakfast time to accomodate our plans for the following day. The living room was a very comfortable spot for enjoying the wine and cheese and there's also a roomy porch with plenty of seating at the entrance. Pat was a gracious hostess and breakfasts were very good. She isn't there all the time but we pretty much made ourselves at home and enjoyed the living room (and more wine) after dinner one night. Monterey Road isn't an attractive street but once you drive up the narrow driveway, the oak trees around the house give the inn a nice feeling. I'd definitely recommend the inn. It's convenient not only for the greater Pasadena area but also a short freeway drive to downtown.

• Liked — Rooms, breakfast, afternoon wine & cheese
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Hebrew first
Burbank, CA
Reviewed 6 October 2008

Clearly, according to the reviews received here, ours is not the majority...

My husband and I live in Burbank, basically a 15-minute drive from the Inn. He booked a night to celebrate our wedding anniversary last Saturday night, in which we would go to nearby Bistro de la Mere for dinner and the Huntington Library yesterday (which we still did). Check-in time is between 3 and 6, we arrived at 3:25. Lights were on, nobody was home.

We entered and looked around and NOBODY was there. It was EXTREMELY ackward, to say the least. No note, no number to call, nothing. Looked up the Inn's number, called it and heard it ringing in the office. Got voicemail with Pat's voice and instructions to call her cell if needed immediately. We left a message AND called her cell and she didn't answer. I left a message that we were here, this is odd, can you please call back on my cell. No return call...

Husband noticed an envelope with our name and a key to the Veranda room, which was what we reserved. No note "Be right back, please call my cell when you arrive," nothing. We figured, whatever and went upstairs to the Veranda room. Ouch...

It couldn't have been noisier. It was perched above a VERY busy and noisy street, the view was terrible - it overlooked a tacky, mid-century apartment building and a dead plant in a pot greeted us on the balcony. This is not what we had planned on paying nearly $300 a night for.

Called her again, cell, still NO answer. Left another message, NO call back. This is around 4:15. We both could not believe an innkeeper could be so flippant and NOT available to her guests. Had she been there, we would most probably just switched to another room, but we didn't get that chance because we never got to meet her!

We decided to leave and left her yet another voicemail telling her we were doing so. Thanks Pat for the wonderful evening we had planned at your Inn.

Ended up having a lovely dinner at our favorite bistro, the California Canteen and date night at home. She did call my husband's cell at 4:45, after we had arrived home and left a voicemail that she was coming up from the small house now, completely oblivious to the fact that we had already left and had she been checking her messages would have known that. After she received our last message telling her we were leaving and why, she didn't even have the decency to call and apologize. Strange woman.

What's wonderful about the internet is we rely on many of the comments and recommendations on sites such as these. As the Inn has received many good reviews, we felt completely confident we had made the right choice. The Inn itself is gorgeous, very much to my taste. We were expecting something a bit more secluded as the description leads and were expecting to meet this innkeeper everyone here raves about and we were left completely in the dark.

When you go to the "Arroyo Vista" (I cough as there was no bella arroyo vista for us) Inn, do give Pat regards from the "D" family. Just don't plan on doing it on your wedding anniversary...

Stayed October 2008
4 Thank MagicalMuse
Arroyo_Vista_Inn, Owner/manager at Arroyo Vista Inn, responded to this review, 15 October 2008
The Inn’s standard confirmation of each reservation explains the “self-check-in” process, where that occurs and what it consists of, so that each guest may go to his/her room unassisted and without delay. Had these guests read their confirmation, they would have understood the process.

Despite the “self-check-in” policy, I or someone else is usually here to greet guests as they arrive. We do the “self-check-in” explanation for the rare occasions when no one is in the big house at the moment a guest arrives. I regret that at the time of their arrival I was in the next building and did not hear my cell phone ring. I called them back within about 60 minutes of their initial call to say I was sorry I missed the call. They did not answer.

As luck would have it, the weather the day these guests arrived was one of the rare rainy days in Southern California. The low hanging clouds blocked the view. The mountains could not be seen from the rooms or the balcony as they normally are.

We hope and strive to give our guests an excellent experience every time they visit the Arroyo Vista Inn. Even this “strange woman” puts her best efforts into extending welcoming hospitality and nothing else!
monterey
Reviewed 13 September 2008

My daughter staged her wedding at this location Aug. 31,2008. We stayed for 3 nights. What a wonderful location and experience. The location was quiet and extremely relaxing. Breakfast was superb and managment was excellent. Their attention to detail is not seen in many places.

The wedding/reception went very well with dancing and fun under the stars.

I can't wait to go back each time we travel down to see my daughter.

• Liked — The environment and quiet
  • Disliked — LA is a horrible place and has too many people but if you have to go, stay here.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Pasadena ca
Reviewed 8 September 2008

I have hesitated to write a review of Arroyo Vista Inn because I do not know if I have the correct words to describe the magical place that it is.My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at the Inn, although we live in Pasadena.

From the moment we wound up the long drive under the canopy of oaks and entered the magestic wide door, we entered another era, one not found very often, certainly not in any hotel.Pat, the owner, left lovely fine wines and cheese and pate for our pleasure upon arrival, which we enjoyed on the large veranda while we chatted with the other couple visiting the Inn.

The Inn sits perched on a hillside, removing you from the city and giving you a lovely view from all the verandas surrounding the gracious, large, impeccibly renovated home.When no one was there, I indulged in playing the grand piano for a moment after we had returned from dinner.Historical books abound, and this Inn marries complete privacy and relaxation with superior everything.The bed was extremely clean, comfortable, and I liked it better than our own.

AVI does not have television, but I must say this was a bonus for us.With all that atmosphere, and those cozy robes and beautiful views off your own veranda, my husband and I enjoyed the view and conversing with one another and we would not have done that if we had a television.The internet service is perfect, so we could watch a movie and such if we wanted.Just ask Pat for the code so you can connect.She is never intrusive and always calls back promptly.

We love her Inn, and plan to go back for our next anniversary and recommend it to everyone we know.What a gem: unique, welcoming, and very private.Many have mentioned her fine breakfasts, so I don't need to mention her wonderful cooking skills and presentation.

Whether you are from the area or coming out town, there is no better choice than Arroyo Vista Inn.There is a reason this lights everyone's fire and they return.

• Liked — The setting, nestled in an oak grove above the city, the 6,000 plus square foot home with complete privacy, yet very welcoming.
  • Disliked — This honestly is the most flawless place, nothing.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed 5 September 2008

We adored AVI during our five night stay. The home is gracious and welcoming thanks to fresh baked cookies and relaxing happy hour with local wines and snacks each day.

The Oak Terrace room was the ideal spot for 'home base' as we dropped our daughter off at Oxy and toured the area for a possible move to Pasadena. It was large and beautifully decorated in modern neutrals that inspired calm. We loved our balcony which had breath-taking views of the mountains. We often sat out there to do work- the AVI has wifi- or sip wine and watch the sunset. Simply lovely.

Pat, our dind innkeeper, went out of her way to make our stay special, including tipping us off to a fabulous wine dinner that was held at the Inn and gifting us her addictive chocolate toffee as a treat for our girl. We felt like we were visiting friends instead of staying at an inn. And, we weren't the only ones judging from the other reviewers who stayed multiple times.

The location was perfect. We loved the 15 min walk to the local Farmers market that features yummy food and entertainment on Thursday evenings. The same short walk got us to the Metro, allowing us to be at Union Station in downtown LA in about 20 minutes or Old Pasadena in 10.. No need to fight traffic!

I don't know if it was the sun splashed coral dining room or the delicious gourmet breakfasts, but guests were particularly friendly. We enjoyed meeting them and chatting about our adventures.

Clearly, we'll stay at Arroyo Vista Inn whenever we're in Pasadena. And, you should, too.

• Liked — The beautiful renovation and the friendly ambience
  • Disliked — a small amount of sstreet noise when balcony door open
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Maryland
Reviewed 30 June 2008

My wife & I recently spent 6 nights at this wonderful B&B. The location is the perfect jumping off point to explore all of the excellent examples of architecture in the Pasadena, Los Angeles and Hollywood area. If you love Arts & Crafts Architecture, have visited the Roycrofters in East Aurora, NY, the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC or the works of the Stickleys in Parsippany, NJ, then you MUST visit Padadena. And if it is the perfect jumping off point for a day of adventure, the Arroyo Vista is a wonderful place to return to at night. Pat & her wonderful staff have created a peaceful, relaxing retreat that is very tastefully appointed. We miss it already.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 3 June 2008

My wife and I have stayed at the Arroyo four times now in the past year and we love it. The inn has been beautifully restored and the innkeeper is a superb hostess who is very knowledgible about the Pasadena area. The breakfasts are very satisfying and the afternoon wine and cheese provide a relaxing end of the day. We have tried all of the B&Bs in the area and most of the hotels and this is the best by far.

• Liked — Beautiful facility and great innkeeper
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
#10 of 31 in Pasadena
Hilton Pasadena
Hilton Pasadena
#5 of 31 in Pasadena

Been to Arroyo Vista Inn? Share your experiences!