“Great Place to Stay”
Review of Arroyo Vista Inn

Arroyo Vista Inn
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We stayed four nights, and this was a great "home base" to come back to each day. We had one of the smaller, less expensive rooms, but it was still very nice and well furnished with antiques and a very comfortable bed. The breakfasts were outstanding and served in a lovely setting. The owner, Pat, was very helpful and all the staff was friendly.

Room Tip: A small tip: if, like me, you'd rather sleep with an open window than with air conditioning, mak...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 August 2014

My sister-in-law lives in the area and for years I have been searching for an inn like the Arroyo Vista Inn. The property is absolutely lovely, Pat is accessible, friendly but not overbearing. The breakfasts are delicious and the chef is very accommodating to dietary needs. And the guests were friendly and most interesting. I was on my own but each morning had wonderful conversations with whomever was at the table. This is now my "go to" B&B in Pasadena and I highly recommend it to others visiting in the area. I know that I will be back!

Room Tip: As each room has its own unique features, make sure to cruise the online descriptions and photos. T...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Wow. Had an amazing weekend here recently!

It's a beautiful historic home with plenty of places to relax, read, meditate, snack, play board games, etc. They made my partner and me feel right at home. We walked in and were welcomed with complimentary wine, pistachios, chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, and a mini-fridge full of water and soft drinks.

We brought a plate of nuts and some wine up to our room, which had a wonderful view of the mountains from two corner chairs on either side of an oval table next to the three adjacent windows - very elegant and relaxing. The whole room and inn is also full of original oil paintings and antiques that are available for sale if requested. We particularly liked one of the board games they had as well, so we inquired and bought it!

Downstairs, I played a few jazz standards on the baby grand in the living room, though there was also a book of classical pieces waiting on the piano when I sat down. It was an old piano with no functioning pedals, but plenty of character (though not the awful out-of-tune honky-tonk kind).

After a night out in Pasadena on the Colorado strip (with sub-par sushi that had been recommended by a friend and a visit to the theater only to have it closed due to plumbing issues), it was very soothing to come back and take a shower in our quaint but elegant bathroom, especially with the aromatic lotions and soaps they provided - definitely a head and shoulders (no pun intended) above the normal hotel fare.

The bed was a California king and certainly made me feel like one. In the morning, I took a walk with my partner and we happened across a flock of wild parrots that brightened our morning! The only thing that overshadowed the beautiful birds was the wonderful home-cooked breakfast we had when we returned from our walk: banana-walnut pancakes, french toast, scrambled eggs, a fried egg, turkey bacon, fresh berries, watermelon, muffins, coffee, and tea; all prepared by a local chef studying in Le Cordon Bleu's culinary program. We read the Times, provided by the inn, and had a wonderful conversation with the chef, who gave us ample recommendations for other LA restaurants to try.

Needless to say, we left relaxed, happy, and refreshed!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cstranne
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed at the B&B a few weekends ago and could not have been more pleased with my experience. Right from the start you are greeted by a beautiful view of Pasadena and a gorgeous home. My room was spotless, comfortable and spacious. Pat, the owner, welcomed us with open arms and provided a yummy breakfast to finish off the enjoyable weekend stay. I will definitely be coming back!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This inn is charming under the direction of a caring owner. Wine and cheese at the end of the day is of excellent quality. Beautifully furnished, comfortable beds, and spotlessly clean. We can hardly wait to go back.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My husband & I thoroughly enjoyed our visit at the Arroyo Vista. Clean, comfortable room with a wonderful view; quiet & restful. The home is meticulously restored. Each room is unique & the setting is lovely. Pat, the owner, provided us with a delicious, hot breakfast & was careful of the dietary restrictions that I had to place upon her. This was a surprise trip for my birthday & there was a bottle of champagne on ice & chocolate(!) waiting for us in our room when we arrived along with a note of good wishes. Thanks, Pat, for a lovely time! We will be recommending this place to our friends.

Room Tip: A few of the rooms have terraces.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We just got back from an overnight stay at the charming Arroyo Vista Inn. We stayed in the Oak Terrace Room (#1) and were quite comfortable. It was clean and spacious with a queen sized bed, a sofa sleeper, and lots of natural light. There's a large terrace off this room that is shared with the neighboring room, but we never saw or heard the neighbors even though there were guests in that room. (One of the fun quirks of an old house: there's two doors in the private ensuite bathroom -- one that leads from the bedroom into the bathroom, and one that leads from the bathroom onto a small terrace shared with another guest room. Don't worry -- that door to the terrace locks!) The room was very warm when we arrived in late afternoon, so we turned on the AC for a short time. After we returned from dinner, we opened the doors to both terraces and had a nice cross breeze. Although our bedroom windows wouldn't open, we slept comfortably with the bathroom windows open and the bedroom ceiling fan going. We never heard any noise from other guests except during the evening wine and cheese time when some guests were sitting on the porch. There was a little bit of white noise from traffic in the distance but it didn't bother us.

When we arrived, we let ourself in using the security code provided in our confirmation email. Someone greeted us, told us about wine and cheese hour, asked our preferred time for breakfast, and showed us to our room. White and red wines, as well as crackers, cheese, and nuts were set out at 5:00 so we could help ourself to a pre-dinner snack. A small refrigerator stocked with water and soda, a bowl of tangerines, and a plate of yummy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies were available all the time. Breakfast the next morning was delicious (fresh fruit, eggs florentine, cauliflower bacon cups, toast, fresh squeezed orange juice, coffee) and hot (even though we were about 5 minutes late) and served by a friendly and attentive chef. At breakfast, we met Pat, the proprietor, who thanked us for visiting her inn.

I've read some negative reviews about unresponsive/inattentive/absent staff but that wasn't our experience at all, thus this long and detailed review. After checking into our room we did have a question and came downstairs. Although no one was in sight, when we called out "hello?" someone came out from a back room and happily assisted us. This is an intimate 10-room bed-and-breakfast, not a commercial hotel with a team of impersonal staff members on duty, and therein lies its charm.

My only suggestion would be to change the furniture on the large veranda shared by rooms 1 & 2. The chairs were vintage gliding rockers but not terrifically comfortable. We hope to return next year to see the museums we didn't have time for on this trip and we would definitely stay at Arroyo Vista Inn again. (Save 10% by booking directly through the inn's website!)

Room Tip: We like to spend time in the room reading and so we chose the Oak Terrace room for its natural light...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
DusitD2 Hotel Constance Pasadena
The Westin Pasadena
The Westin Pasadena
#3 of 31 in Pasadena

Been to Arroyo Vista Inn? Share your experiences!