“Gorgeous Craftsman Inn, impeccably rennovated and very comfortable”
Review of Arroyo Vista Inn

Arroyo Vista Inn
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 April 2009

Gorgeous Craftsman Inn, impeccably rennovated. Not too expensive but with all the luxury touches and with fabulous food.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 April 2009

This is a sophisticated B&B in a lovely, quiet setting. The rooms and bathrooms are roomy, clean and comfortable. It is in a beautifully restored/renovated Arts & Crafts style house high on a hillside. The owner succeeds in evoking a gracious feeling of "Old California" without succumbing to the fussy, cluttered Victorian look so common in B&Bs today..

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 April 2009

Since we couldn't make it back to the Banff Springs Hotel in Canada, where we were married, we decided to enjoy the best Inn in the U.S.A--The Arroyo Vista Inn, right in our home town of South Pasadena. We were delighted with the charm and architecture of the Inn, and our Anniversary Suite was superb. The service at the Arroyo Vista Inn was incomparable to anywhere else. It was absolutely first rate--from anticipating every need or desire we might have, including champagne celebration and special treats at night to gourmet made-to-order breakfast, to accomodate a special diet. The Innkeeper made us feel welcome, relaxed and happy. We highly recommend the Arroyo Vista Inn any time and for every occasion

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2009

Arroyo Vista Inn is an unexpected gem among the bed and breakfasts I've stayed at. More five star than loving-hands-at-home decor, pristine bedrooms and bathroom (complete with robes), sitting high on a hillside in Pasadena. We stayed here for the weekend and felt welcome as well as very pampered and comfortable. Breakfast one day was (mild) cheddar cheese souffle (the owner shared the easy recipe) fresh fruit, La Brea bakery breads, and for me, a latte (made with freshly ground beans). Absolutely no complaints about this place. Would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 January 2009

I stayed at the Inn for 4 days during a recent trip to Pasadena to watch the Rose Bowl game. As a Penn State fan, I did not enjoy the game but the rest of the trip was fantastic. My room was great, views included,as was the food. Pat and her staff were wonderful. I will be a returning guest.

• Stayed: December 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 2 November 2008

Early October I stayed at Arroyo Vista Inn with two friends. When we went to check in, we were greeted by the very helpful and kind (not creepy or intrusive at all) owner, Pat. We walked in and had complimentary cheese and cookies and wine. There is also a mini fridge before you walk upstairs, it has soda, perrier, and juice. Our room was clean and nice looking. Tans and whites were the color of our room and it had antique-ish furniture. Fun sample soaps and lotions were provided. Breakfast was delicious. Pat even made us Lattes. Overall very clean and fun. There were spiders outside out balcony but the Inn is located on a hill like surrounded by nature. The Inn was quiet and beautifully decorated. Not creepy and flowery like some B&Bs can be. I was so pleased that I am buying my parents a 2 night stay for christmas. *one bummer for me was that there was no tv in our rooms.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 19 October 2008

I stayed at the inn with a couple of friends last two weeks ago and had a nice stay. The inn was even more charming than I expected. It sits on the side of a hill above a busy street, but the noise is not noticeable, with the exception of a slight hum from the metrolink train. Our room had two balconies, but only 1 was really useable. There was seating outside to enjoy the view under the trees. There were a few very large spiders outside (in the trees near the balcony) but I think that is just a seasonal thing. There was a nice view from our window of the mountains and our room was comfortable and cute.There was homemade fresh candy for us in our room, which was a nice touch and very delicious (as were the cookies downstairs in the living room).

I liked the traditional/antiquey feel of our room. It was quaint but didn't feel old. The bed linens were beautiful and the bed was soft. Pat, the owner, provided us with a rollaway bed for us for extra sleeping space and it was firm, but we appreciated how accommodating she was. As an innkeeper, she was not intrusive at all, but was there for help and advice if needed. We regretted not remembering to ask about the wine cellar, which we read about and would have enjoyed, but we were too busy relaxing in the rest of the inn. We had a nice time enjoying our wine and cheese and crackers on the porch. The seating out front was comfortable and the old trees were beautiful.

The driveway up the hill to the inn is narrow, but there are plenty of spots to park once up the hill. There's no TV in the rooms, but free Internet access, which we used to find some things to do in downtown Pasadena, until I noticed a book in the room that was filled with information and pictures about EVERYTHING you would want to see, do, eat there. I learned that the Mission District was in walking distance, and would have gone there but already had plans for Old Towne. Pat also had some information posted on key places nearby to visit, which was helpful. The bathroom was nice. Breakfast was ready for us when we came downstairs and we enjoyed a very filling breakfast in a beautiful dining room. We had a fresh fruit plate of mangoes, blueberries, strawberries, bananas and then the choice of raisin bread or zucchini muffins, coffee or tea, and fresh orange juice, and then a vegetable frittata/quiche that was very good. From other reviews I have read, I guess the menu changes. You have the option of requesting a special meal if you have diet restrictions.

Overall, this inn is what I want my dream house to be like. It really was restored beautifully and the setting is peaceful even though it's in a busy part of Pasadena. We had a great time and I plan to come back for my anniversary next month.

Stayed: October 2008
#4 of 31 in Pasadena
Hilton Los Angeles/San Gabriel
Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town
GreenTree Inn & Suites Alhambra

Been to Arroyo Vista Inn? Share your experiences!