“Impeccable B&B”

GreenLeadersGold level
Palo Alto, CA
“Impeccable B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2009

We stayed here for two nights in August. Before finding Arroyo Vista Inn, I had searched small boutique hotels in LA as well as the Huntington in Pasadena and we made the best choice by staying at this Inn. The responsiveness and friendliness of the owner, Pat, and Jenny, who was on the staff were the first of many pleasantries we encountered. The setting, the common areas, and the rooms are quiet, comfortable, and elegantly appointed - a cut above what you would expect out of a B&B.

We were able to view all of the rooms, as we were the only guests our first night. You couldn't go wrong with any of them. Although the room I chose was not the largest available, it was spaciously arranged with a plush queen bed, comfortable reading chair, large desk, and roomy bathroom. In addition, we had two large windows and a door leading out to the second floor porch.

The property is immaculately clean. We enjoyed the self-serve fridge with cold drinks and availability of homemade cookies. Breakfasts included a fruit course followed by a creative main dish, such as asparagus fritata and were served in the dining room with lots of natural light. We saw toffee being made one morning which was offered as a bedtime treat in the room. It was excellent! The living room included many coffee table books of Pasadena and Craftsmen architecture as well as an interesting selection of current magazines.

The same understated elegance on the inside was applied to the landscaping and outside lounge area. The environment promotes relaxation.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JAHughes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Hebrew first
san diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2009

Very accomadating when we had to make unexpected changes. Beautifully restored home and very comfortable. Breakfast was yummy!

1 Thank flygirlrn
Michigan/California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2009

From the moment I walked in the door, I was met with the wonderful energy that only historic craftmanship can offer. The home is absolutely stunning in it's own right, add to it the way in which Pat Wright, the owner, has decorated it and it literally takes one's breath away.

I arrived here due to a last minute need to find somewhere else to stay, but in doing so feel, I have found the only place I will want to ever stay while visiting this region. Between the amazingly warm and friendly staff and the decadance of quality ammenities... it is simply heaven.

I am a tv before bed kinda gal, so it takes a little getting use to not having a tv in my room. Something that a laptop can easily take care of. In fact, sans the tv means giving my mind a moment to just unwind and listen to the sprinklers kick on.

Is it just me or does the smell of wonderful food cooking immediately put oneselve in a better mood? This place smells phenominal. Between the aroma of breakfast in the morning, cookies sitting around, and wine and cheese offered in the afternoon... (deep sigh)did I mention this place is like heaven?

Ignoring the comfie bed adorned with quality linens and blankets, and the french doors that open to ones own private balcony where they can gaze blissfully at the mountainside.... the rate is wonderful. There is no charge for parking, no charge for internet, no charge for coffee or the absolutely fabulous gourmet meal that is placed before you every morning. SO there is no pool, or tv (I covered that debacle a few paragraphs ago). This place is amazing. Once you try it, you too will be equally as smitten.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank SDutton
berkeley,ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2009

The Arroyo Vista Inn is in a class by itself. We had a good feeling from the minute we walked into this lovely home. All the guest rooms are spacious with lots of natural light, comfortable beds and large bathrooms. Our room had a balcony with incredible views of the Pasadena hills. Pat, the owner, couldn't have been more gracious. Breakfast was served between 7 & 9am and it was delicious! She helped us plan our day, suggesting good neighborhoods for shopping and interesting places to visit. The Inn is conveniently located to downtown Pasadena, museums and the Huntington Gardens. I would highly recommend this lovely Inn to anyone looking for a beautiful and comfortable place to stay in Pasadena!

1 Thank condesign
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2009

Set in a lovingly restored, huge Craftsman-style home, this B&B is a wonderful retreat from the bustle of Southern California. Our room was large and airy, with not one but two balconies. The property has a splendid view of Pasadena and surrounding hills. Magnificent trees and charming landscaping add to the soothing atmosphere. The bed was fabulusly comfortable, the bathroom well-appointed, and the furnishings were carefully chosen vintage and antique pieces.

We chatted with the owner over complementary wine and cheese in the afternoon, and wished we didn't have an appointment so that we could have talked longer. Breakfast the next morning was first-class, delicious and beautifully presented. They were very accomodating about food allergies.

We would return anytime!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Bay Area
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2009

We stayed here for the second time, for a family reunion surrounding my 50th B-day. Never again. We arrived and they were making up our room. It smelled strongly of cat urine. I pointed it out to Pat and she just said "No it doesn't." No offer to move us (half the other rooms were empty), nothing. I am not particularly sensitive to smells, but I practically gagged, and it never went away. Breakfast was at a fixed time, 9am. So if you are a morning person and want to get out at a reasonably early time, you are out of luck. The coffee is that nasty almond flavored stuff that tastes like gasoline. They had some wine on a side board in the living room one afternoon, and my wife went to serve herself. Pat screeched at her "Don't touch that! You have to bring your own wine!" My wife was mortified. It's like putting out bagels for breakfast and then telling people they have to bring their own. When we left the second morning without waiting for breakfast, Pat didn't bother asking us how the stay was. I think she was afraid we would answer.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank John K
Arroyo_Vista_Inn, Owner at Arroyo Vista Inn, responded to this review, 17 May 2009
Any B &B experience is influenced by the guest's subjective outlook. This same weekend two other couples gave the B & B 5 Star reviews!

I'm sorry that this family of three, with a 5 year old , did not enjoy their second stay. I don't know why they came back a second time. The first experience must have been tolerable.

The room did not smell of cat urine. There has not been a cat in that room for at least 9 months. I had just had the carpets in that room cleaned the week before these people arrived. The carpets could not have been more clean.

I have NEVER told a guest not to drink the wine. Why would I put it out if it were not be had by guests? In fact, at the time the wife came through the living room, I was sitting with three other couples ( all guests) having wine and cheese. I never said such a thing as I've been accused of. The other guests can attest to that.

As for the coffee, we do normally serve hazelnut flavored coffee. Most adults who don't like it, ask for plain.
Santa Barbara
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2009

We spent a delightful weekend at this lovely B&B recently and can't wait to return! This is a beautifully restored Craftsman home in a serene and peaceful setting. Pat, owner of the B&B, and her husband, Russ, couldn't have been more welcoming. Our room was charming and made even more enjoyable by the homemade (by Pat) toffee that we found waiting for us. In the afternoon we were treated to yummy wine, cheese and homemade chocolate chip oatmeal cookies were an additional treat! The bed was sooo comfortable. Breakfast on both days was a definite gourmet experience...warm blueberry cobbler, oatmeal cookie pancakes, bacon, fresh squeezed orange, cafe lattes, and that was just the first day! Its obvious that Pat and Russ love meeting new people and entertaining their guests is a real joy for them. As we left on Sunday we felt as if we were leaving new friends behind...it won't be long before we return! We've stayed in quite a few B&B's over the past few years and Arroyo Vista Inn is at the top of our list!

1 Thank DooleySantaBarbara
The Westin Pasadena
The Westin Pasadena
#4 of 31 in Pasadena
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,326 reviews

Been to Arroyo Vista Inn? Share your experiences!