“Pleased With Hotel But Not the Shuttle”

Hampton Inn San Francisco-Airport
Phoenix, Arizona
“Pleased With Hotel But Not the Shuttle”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I was pretty well satisfied with my one-night stay at the Hampton Inn while coming through SFO airport on my way to Asia. I stayed here on 24 April 2012. Reserving online using the Hilton website, I found a good rate using my available discounts and my Hilton Honors account number. Upon arrival fairly late in the evening, I was assigned a nice and comfortable guest room matching my requests. The hotel building is modern, clean and attractive. Check-in was fast and easy. The breakfast buffet the next morning was good, as I have come to expect from the Hampton Inn chain.

My guest room had everything I needed, and there was plenty of hot water for the shower. My bed was quite comfortable. I slept well and was refreshed and rested to return to the airport the next morning for my outbound flight to Asia. The hotel gets a lot of traffic coming through, as it is, obviously, an airport hotel. But I thought it was clean and well-managed. Check-out was simple.

My only criticism is the airport/hotel shuttle service. Yes, they have one, and it is complimentary. But I was not too happy with it. The shuttle contracted for this hotel also serves several other nearby airport hotels, and running the entire "circuit" takes much longer than I expected. From the time I left the Hampton Inn after check-out, it was fully 45 minutes before I was dropped off over at the SFO international terminal. I had allowed plenty of time to catch my flight, so there was no panic. But do be aware of this.

The bigger issue for me was the night before, when I arrived in SFO and needed the same shuttle to take me TO the Hampton Inn. I stood on the correct (outer) curb in front of Terminal 1, right under the sign where you are supposed to stand -- for over 30 minutes, while two shuttles merely slowed to a crawl several yards from where they were supposed to stop. The first two times, they roared off before I could get their driver's attention and left me there in the darkness. I actually had to pull my luggage to a nearby courtesy phone to call the hotel front desk, before the third time the shuttle came around. Only on that third occasion was the shuttle driver willing to wait long enough so that I could quickly drag my luggage over to his shuttle. When I pointed out that he and/or his colleague had been around before and had left me standing there in the dark 30 minutes earlier and again 15 minutes after that, he just shrugged his shoulders and chuckled. I was too tired to say anything more.

My recommendation is that the Hampton Inn management look into the courtesy shuttle situation to see if the currently contracted service provider is really providing the best service for the needs of this hotel's guests. The hotel, itself, I liked.

Room Tip: If you use the airport/hotel shuttle, allow plenty of time, both ways.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank singapurastan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed 25 May 2012

We have stayed at many Hampton Inns and always found them to be friendly, clean with nice room. Except for this hotel. When we arrived the girl at the desk was rude. We happened to arrive at the hotel earlier than expected, however we did not expect to check in as we were going to see our son in the city. We just wanted to see the hotel. She told us several times the room was not ready, which we did not expect it to be. Then she said we could check in and gave us a on a room on the first floor, but it was not ready yet. OK, I think we get the message. Our profile at the Hampton asks for a hight floor so I asked her if we could get a room on a higher floor. She very rudely found one. Later that day we returned to our room. The hairdryer did not work, the elevator did not work, a lamp did not work and two different people at the desk gave us two differenct times for the shuttle, which could have made a difference in catching our flight, however we always allow for such thing. This shuttle picks up at five other hotels. The room was just average. We would not stay here again when at the airport.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank janella22
Umea, Sweden
Reviewed 17 May 2012

A typical airport hotel: fairly new built, close to the airport, far from the city. This one had very friendly staff, was well insulated from outside noice and had an OK breakfast for being at an American budget hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank buzztr
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Staff was very friendly, room was clean and well stocked, and breakfast was wonderful. The only thing better would have been a pool.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Ventura, CA
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We stayed here from a Friday through Sunday. The photos on the hotel's web page don't really do it justice. It looks a lot better in person and is in a quiet office park just off the freeway. The double room we had was clean and well appointed, although the room had a very faint smell of smoke (we opened the window and that took care of that). The full breakfast was included and the staff were great at making sure the food was fresh and stayed stocked for the constant stream of guests. If you don't mind staying outside SF and are looking for an affordable, clean, well appointed hotel, I recommend this Hampton Inn.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ashleealcantar
Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2012

As with all Hamptons this hotel provides basic accomodation with breakfast.. The hotel/rooms were clean and the staff freindly. Not the place for a long stay but if passing through it ticks the boxes. We were staying for a couple of nights and would not want to stay longer. It is some distance away from the attractions and a car is essential. We stayed in a number of Hamptons on our road trip and the breakfast in this one was the worst . I don't suppose it helped that we had torrential rain and it was really cold when we visited.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ed_Pick
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We checked out 4 rooms for my bro's bachelor party as a sleeping spot. The hotel was nice, rooms clean, nothing fancy but all 4 rooms were equally in good shape. I like that there is no smoking in the hotel and that there are multiple exits/entrances depending on where you park so you don't have to take the elevator or always walk through the lobby.
The location is really in/near a business park. Not a whole lot around. There is the Embassy Suites next door which has restaurant and a Wendy's and Starbucks with in walking distance. Other than that plan on driving to eat or taking the shuttle to Pier 39.
The reason I didn't stay at Embassy is that they charge $17/car to park and this joint is free. Now that I know how close these places are (share a parking lot) I'll stay at Embassy and park at Hampton!!!

Room Tip: Sleep toward the end of a hallway, easy acces to exits which you will more likely find parking.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank JokDoc
Also consider these accommodations in or near South San Francisco
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport North
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco ...
#1 of 28 in South San Francisco
Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel
Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airp...
#3 of 28 in South San Francisco
Embassy Suites by Hilton San Francisco Airport - South San Francisco
Embassy Suites by Hilton San Fra...
#8 of 28 in South San Francisco
Ramada Limited San Francisco Airport North
Ramada Limited San Francisco Air...
#5 of 28 in South San Francisco
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Francisco Airport North
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - San Francisco Airport
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites...
#4 of 28 in South San Francisco

Been to Hampton Inn San Francisco-Airport? Share your experiences!