“Dim Sum down South SF”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Great dim sum near SFO
Reviewed 5 November 2012

South San Francisco is not our usual Saturday route for dim sum lunch but we found this Chinese restaurant off El Camino Real (near See's candies factory) with free parking in a lot, which made the trip and lunch worthy. It didn't take too long with a ticket in line and everyone was friendly and helpful with my mom's wheelchair. Service and food--dim sum and an order of seafood pan fried mein were quick. Good portion, variety and tasty dim sum. The only drawback was the volume was very high--everyone was having a good time; talking loud. They have prix fixe menus for banquets. Will come back as long there is no game/event congesting traffic to get here.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

I am loving this local joint for me. As a side note, they didn't act or look snotty to us if we didn't want something and/or we didn't know what something was. They also didn't mind me asking for a nice corner table for our 4 month old in a car seat.

Reviewed 11 July 2012

My friend and I have lunch here often. It's close to SFO, reasonably priced, and has good food and an efficient staff. If you don't see your favorite dim sum dishes, you can ask and if it's early or the middle of the lunch rush, they'll cook it up. They also do a good job of my favorite pan-fried noodles with chicken and veggies on top.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

My husband and I expanded our great-dim-sum-search with a visit here yesterday. We've had the real deal multiple times in Guangzhou and Hong Kong, so our standard of comparison is pretty high.
We got in before the lines started. "Prompt" is definitely at work here. The staff were moving the whole time: getting people seated, getting tea (without asking what kind you want), and bringing hot food around and around and around on trays.
The restaurant has a dated feeling, so the ambiance is so-so.
We found that the food was served hot...but over-steamed. The dumpling dough was usually a little soggy. And the typical attention to appearance of food was a low priority (the siu mai were some of the homeliest I've seen and the radish cake was burnt...bad, bad, bad by Cantonese cooking standards). Fortunately, it all tasted good. I was disappointed that we didn't get the whole menu option presented on various trays to us...like some really good potstickers.
Highlight: the Taro Buns! We got two plates so we could have leftovers (best eaten fresh and kept dry for later). The Laih Wong Baau (steamed custard-filled buns) were also delicious.
The staff speak English, but I had to ask in Cantonese if it was what I thought it was. I should have just went with Cantonese the whole time. I did use it at the end to get the second plate of taro buns!
Our tab was the most reasonable one we've ever gotten in the Bay Area for dim sum. Under $30 pre-tip.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

This place is amazing! My first dinner experience, not soooo good. They had just shampooed the carpets and it smelled like Cat peepee. I decided to give them another try, but instead for lunch and dim sum, and WOW!!! Night and day what can happen if you keep an open mind and go in with another chance! I LOVE their service! They all speak english, they are all familiar with me as one of the few solo white guys in the place, and they know how to make me feel welcomed! I always get the usual's, and can't wait to bring some of my Chinese friends to show them it's a good place, and not too crowded if you go at the right times. Give this place a try, I love them!