This is an airport hotel and most of its guests are only staying one night. We, however, stayed for a week and a half and got to know this property well.
This hotel isn't bad, especially for a Best Western. The lobby is nice but can get very chaotic when hoardes of travelers and tour groups all check in at the same time. It also hosts a LOT of events, so the place gets BUSY.
They're okay. The beds are SMALL - we had a 2 bed queen room and those beds were very small for two people. Our room keys CONSTANTLY were getting deactivated, which lead to a LOT of frustation. The front desk tells you that it's because you put the key next to a phone or credit card, and it will deactivate. Well, they need to get with the program because I stay at a lot of hotels and never have this problem. I always put my room key in my wallet, WITH my other credit cards and near my phone. It's 2014. Everyone has a cc and a smart phone and will PROBABLY put the room key by one of these items. Fix this! Marriott, Holiday Inn, Sheraton, etc all do not have this problem.
Elevator broke down on our last day there, and being on the second floor, we encountered a full elevator EVERY TIME we pushed the button. We had to schlep our heavy luggage down all the stairs and through the restaurant. Very annoying.
It was okay, pretty standard hotel breakfast, but no waffle maker. The sausage links are NOT good and the milk for the cereal was warm every day. LOVED the gentleman working at the host station in the breakfast area. He was awesome!!
If you're departing/arriving from SFO, it's a great location. Otherwise? Yeah, no. South San Francisco is a very industrial neighborhood. Lots and lots of truck traffic. It ain't pretty, folks, but it still feels safe. We took the free shuttle to SFO and then caught the BART into SF. A lot of guests do this, so you won't be alone. Just know that if you do this, get off at the first shuttle stop at the airport, then walk to door 6. This leads you DIRECTLY to the BART station, otherwise if you go into the airport, you will have to fuss around with the AirTrain.
As a much faster alternative, we used Uber to get back and forth to SF. A one-way Uber ride from this hotel to Fisherman's Wharf will range from $22-35, depending on the time of day. That's extremely cheap, considering that this hotel is quite a bit of a distance from SF.
There aren't many restaurants in the area -- there's a McDonalds across the street. There's also a Costco within walking distance, so you could hit up the food court for a cheap meal. Otherwise, you'll need to drive. We drove over to Grand Avenue and ate at some of the spots over there.
It works. It's your average hotel gym. They have one treadmill, one bike and one climber thing. All equipment works! I'd workout between 6:30-7:30 and there was ALWAYS someone else in there too.
It's $7 a day and while parking IN SF proper is very expensive at hotels, I still don't think the $7 is justified. It should be free. This is in an industrial area and they simply charge this "because they can." They will give you a paper parking pass to display on your dash. The parking lot can fill up FAST and finding a spot can be challenging, especially when there is an event going on. A bunch of MegaBuses also park in this lot and take up a good 5-6 spaces. I thought that was odd.
Staff: Really liked the staff here -- all front desk personnel were great and provided us with excellent information about the area. Again, the guy working the breakfast area host station was the BEST. Friendly and remembered our names and room! We will miss him!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Recipient hotel of 3 Best Western "Director's Award" and 11 consecutive "Excellent Housekeeping Awards". Newly renovated rooms, restaurant, bar and meeting space. Location, location, location! The BEST WESTERN PLUS Grosvenor Hotel offers all the amenities you need for business or pleasure! Restaurant, bar, business center, fitness center, seasonal outdoor pool, complimentary shuttle to SFO. PLEASE NOTE that our front entrance and porte cochere are currently under renovation and our entrance is located at the rear of the hotel. Thank you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western South San Francisco
- South San Francisco Best Western