“Sleep and Fly”

Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 November 2010

My husband was flying out of san francisco airport on a 6 am flight so we decided to stay near the airport. This hotel has a free shuttle to SFO. The hotel staff were wonderful. The accomadations were great.. This is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank grammadi61
GeneralManager650, General Manager at Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2010

Our Park 'N Fly Package is a big hit and I am happy that it worked well for you too! For those early morning departures, we have a 5AM complimentary breakfast cart in the Lobby for "grab and dash" before our breakfast opens at 6AM. Thank you so much for your nice review and we hope to see you again soon! Jim McGuire, General Manager

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel

Reviewed 2 November 2010

We arrived at the hotel about 5 hrs ahead of normal check-in time, both suffering from severe head-colds acquired during our trip to California from VT. The front desk staff was SO VERY understanding and bent over backwards to accommodate our need for rest and recuperation. They had the room ready bin an hour and we will be forever grateful. We found the room to be most comfortable and VERY quiet despite it's close proximity to SFO Airport. Also found some GREAT eating establishments a short drive (within 2 miles) away in San Bruno. We'd stay there again ANYTIME...

1  Thank gboyd1047
GeneralManager650, General Manager at Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2010

There is nothing worse than travelling when you are ill, and I was very happy to read your positive experience of a warm welcome from our staff! Thank you so much for your great posting and please visit us again the next time you are in the Bay Area. Have a wonderful holiday season in beautiful Vermont! Jim McGuire, General Manager

Reviewed 1 November 2010

Property is not being maintained. Breakfast bar is dirty and room not overly clean but acceptable. Road noise is significant and had a problem with people smoking in thier rooms even though hotel is supposed to be 100% smoke free. For the price OK but Holiday Inn Express across the road looked pretty appealling.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

I am sorry that you did not have a positive experience with us. The cleanliness of our entire hotel is something that we are very proud of and our management team will take your comments and learn from them. Our hotel is 100% smoke-free, but unfortunately, some people choose to ignore this policy. This makes for a very unpleasant stay for other guests, such as yourself. I apologize for any inconvenience you had with us and I do hope you give us another try.

Reviewed 14 October 2010

I've stayed at this hotel four times in the last year and a half. When I made my first visit, there was free parking, free breakfast and a per night rebate if you booked your stay through the hotel's own website. Three visits later, the parking is now $3 per night, the breakfast may or may not be free (more below) and the rebate for booking through the hotel's website has disappeared completely.

Since most people want to know if a place is clean and safe, I'll start out by saying that I've never found cleanliness to be a problem. One day during my current stay my room wasn't cleaned, but I wasn't too put out because I'm not a slob. I just pocketed the tip I'd left for Housekeeping and didn't bother to report it. Though the commercial strip the hotel is located in isn't exactly pedestrian friendly, it isn't unsafe. There just isn't much in the area worth walking around to...just hotels, gas stations and a few restaurants. I will say I was a bit annoyed that the Sunday night I stayed here they had one of the two passenger elevators out of service. That night the 49er's played a home game and there were a lot of fans that returned to the hotel late. The lack of elevator capacity was definitely missed that evening.

As for my concerns about the value proposition of the hotel, the extra charges aren't outrageous, but if someone is watching their money, the ancillary costs can definitely add up. For instance, the parking is $3, which is a bargain by downtown hotel standards. But this isn't downtown San Francisco and the hotel across the street provides free parking during guest stays. The morning breakfast has always been free when I stayed here. However, on this visit, the person at the check-in desk (who I have dealt with on past visits and have always found to be friendly) informed me that I would have to pay $8.75 each day if I wanted their breakfast buffet. Apparently my offense was having the audacity to book my room through my airline's website instead of the hotel's own website. I found the clerk's tone to be someone curt when she informed me that I should always book through the hotel's website to get my free breakfast...which I don't always even get to take advantage of. It felt like she wanted me to know I was being punished for not booking through the hotel. The problem with this is that while the airline websites and discount travel websites almost always show rooms with Queen-sized beds available on their websites for this hotel, the hotel's own website won't reflect those same rooms being available for the same dates of stay...they want you to book a King or Double room or a suite. Finally, there is little incentive to book through the hotel's website now that they did away with the online rebate that was previously offered. Apparently they've decided that a free breakfast will have to suffice, but guests that have stayed here before know better...it formerly was free breakfast AND a rebate.

The other things I can quibble about are the lack of laundry facilities on site (again, the hotel across the street has them.) Twice during stays here I've had to use a laundromat because no self-service laundry was available. Also, the hotel provides free Wi-Fi service, but on this visit at least, I found it so slow to be almost unusable. I generally found myself using a wireless modem card provided by my employer.

I would probably stay here again, but I'll keep a closer eye on prices for other hotels in the area next time. If they are similar, it might warrant trying someplace else for once.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Macmanmk

I would like to start out by thanking you for staying with us four times! We really appreciate it. Thank you also for your comment on our cleanliness. I remember when our elevator unexpectedly went out of service - Murphy's Law. I apologize about that. We did make a couple of minor changes with our website offerings, which includes complimentary breakfast when you book on our website. In lieu of the rebate, we have matched our rates on our website to the rates on other websites. Although we do not have a self-service laundry on site, we do offer daily dry cleaning services. I apologize if you didn't receive our best service at the front desk - this will be addressed. We hope to see you again, and thank you for taking the time to post your review!

Reviewed 14 October 2010

The reason for our trip was to go the Sunday night 49ers game. The hotel offered a bus to and from the game at a great price. We wanted to get to the game earlier so Veronica at the front desk was able to get us a Town Car (very comfortable, leather, professional driver!) to get us to the game earlier. She was able to offer advice on how to get around, which was very helpful being first timers from NY. I read through the reviews (which is what all should do!) so I knew breakfast would be included since I booked with Best Western and not another vendor. We got a ongreat rate and received an awesome breakfast considering it was free! Choices included: Bananas, Apples, Yogurt, Danishes, Croissant , Busicuit w/awesome country gravy, scrambled eggs, sausage & white or wheat toast (second night offered the donuts & french toast in addition)Coffee, Orange Juice , Cranberrry Juice & Water.

The free airport shuttle was extremely convinent. We skipped out on the $50 taxi fee by taking the shuttle to the airport and board at the BART station to downtown.

Our room was very clean and though furnishings a bit outdated , quite pleasant and comfortable. We had a non smoking floor- though the second night we got back the hall smelled of smoke and marijuana - as soom as we let the staff know they were right on it checking all rooms and get rid of the problem. When we got back you would have never known there was a problem. The pool area was clean , though it was a bit chilly out so we did not use it.
We would definitely stay here again!
Thanks!

1  Thank Arelis_245
GeneralManager650, General Manager at Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2010

Go 9ers! I am very happy that you liked our 49ers Tailgate Package! We do the driving, the cooking and housekeeping - you just have to relax and have a good time! Thanks for your nice mention of Veronica - she will be pleased. Thank you for your nice review, and remember, we're not far from AT&T Park where the San Francisco Giants play (and as you know just a short trip to Candlestick to see the 49ers)...we are your home base for all of the exciting Bay Area sporting events. We hope to see you again soon and I hope the Rochester winter isn't too hard on you. There's always sunny California and the Best Western Grosvenor!

Reviewed 11 October 2010

I made a reservation on Hotel.com for Oct 6,2010 and when I arrived was told breakfast was not allow with the rate from Hotel. Com. The addtional cost would be $9 per erson. I receivied a letter from tJim McGuire That I would receive an Compimentary breakfast. Misleading information from both Best Western and hotel.com

1  Thank greg3341
GeneralManager650, General Manager at Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2010

Thank you for your posting. I am sorry that there was confusion regarding breakfast. Our breakfast policy is clearly explained on Hotels.com, stating that there is a nominal fee. As I mentioned in my personal email to you, please feel free to contact me directly so I can hopefully rectify this situation for you. We appreciate your feedback. Jim McGuire, General Manager

Reviewed 7 October 2010

After a long transatlantic flight it was nice to have a hotel so close to the airport.It was very easy to locate the shuttle bus that took us to the hotel.Check in was very swift and prompt,staff very courteous.We were given a deluxe queen room which was furnished nicely ,beds very comfortable.Breakfast included a hot buffet which we enjoyed.We only spent one night here as we had booked down town for a couple of nights to see all the sights.It was a really nice hotel and i would certainly recommend it.Check out also very smooth,staff really helpful as regards our onward travel

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager650, General Manager at Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2010

I am very happy to hear that you liked our beds - especially now that we have brand new, cozy duvets and decorative pillows and scarves on all of our beds! We love our International guests and I'm happy that we could provide you with a comfortable accommodation after your long flight from Ireland! Thank you for your kind review!
Jim McGuire, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near South San Francisco
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport North
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco ...
#1 of 28 in South San Francisco
Hampton Inn San Francisco-Airport
Hampton Inn San Francisco-Airpor...
#2 of 28 in South San Francisco
Ramada Limited San Francisco Airport North
Ramada Limited San Francisco Air...
#5 of 28 in South San Francisco
Embassy Suites by Hilton San Francisco Airport - South San Francisco
Embassy Suites by Hilton San Fra...
#8 of 28 in South San Francisco
Comfort Inn & Suites San Francisco  Airport North
Comfort Inn & Suites San Francis...
#18 of 28 in South San Francisco

Been to Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!