“Above Average PHO.. Everything Else PHENOMENAL”
Review of Ben Tre Restaurant

Ben Tre Restaurant
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 6 July 2014

First off, the service was less than stellar but this may be due more to perceived cultural differences rather than a personal vendetta against my presence lol. By that I mean that service was super quick but the server never smiled, never made any eye contact, and pretty much just slid my plates my way without saying a word.

Now to the positives: This were the best spring rolls and the best Chicken BBQ and Rice dish I have EVER HAD at a Vietnamese restaurant. That chicken was so tender that i could cut through it with my chopsticks AND the taste was absolutely heavenly. That rice was spongy and flavorful. Those spring rolls were fresh and crispy and the taste was absolutely to die for.

I'm a HUGE PHO fan and this wasn't the best Pho I've ever had but it wasn't bad, it was Decent. The chicken portions were a bit on the smallish side and I don't think the Chicken was as tender or flavorful as the bbq chicken dish I was having next to it. THe noodles and broth were the saving grace of the dish BUT if you're going for the Pho alone, I think you could have better options.

Overall this place deserves a 4.5 but it's graded down to a 4 due to the 'above average but nothing spectacular Pho and the somewhat impersonal customer service'. However, this still shouldn't detract anyone from giving this place a try. If you round out the Pho with a couple of other dishes then you will leave one happy diner.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We felt like in Vietnam, where we liked the food very much. 80-90% of the guests were Vietnamese/Asian, which tells a lot. Great spring rolls, fresh and fried, and also the BBQ beef and the shrimp claypot were very tasty. Service and Atmosphere were authentic as well. Would come back!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Very good, huge portions, super tasty grilled meat. Had the #30 and the pork salad rolls - perfect amount of food for two people. We were stuffed.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I only come here for the Pho. The broth is warm; I like it hot. The flavor is okay-nothing special. My dad tried their garlic noodles last week. It was a large serving but he didn't care for it much. The best garlic noodles at Than Long in San Francisco is much better; however, it will cost you a lot for a small bowl.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I was in the Bay Area on business, and stayed within walking distance of this great little place. There are several restaurants in the area so the reviews on tripadvisor helped me select this one. I knew I had made the right choice once I walked in the door - the restaurant was full of locals enjoying the wonderful food. Several of the places along the way were only partially full, but this place was hopping.

I was seated after a short wait and had an order of Pho and pork spring rolls. The food was served quickly, was nice and hot, and tasted great. I eat Pho regularly at home, and this was better than what I get at my favorite local place.

The service was prompt and courteous, and the local crowd gave the place a nice feel.

I enjoyed my dinner and will return next time in town.