“Friendly staff, clean hotel, stay here”

Holiday Inn San Francisco - Intl Airport
GreenLeadersBronze level
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Friendly staff, clean hotel, stay here”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I will be honest, I read some of the reviews before arriving at the hotel and I really didn't know what to expect. After staying there I am guessing the low reviews that are left must be some very isolated bad experiences. I had a great stay, and great experiences from start to finish. I wish I could remember the name of the person that checked me in. She was great, and over the top friendly. A great welcome after a long day in SF. We got to our room, it was very clean and a good sized room. Everything looked updated and fresh. I will agree the internet is slow, but it's free. We stayed at another hotel while in SF and they wanted $12.95 a night. Parking wasn't bad $10 a night, make it $11, it is taxed. You will see no complaints from me about my stay here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
HolidayInnIntlArpt, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco - Intl Airport, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Jeffery_03,
Thank you for your honest review! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to take advantage of our competitive parking prices. Hope to see you on your next trip to San Francisco.
Holiday Inn San Francisco Airport

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I stayed at this holiday for one night after my flight from the UK so I could rest for the night before driving to my final destination.

Everything is clean and the staff were courteous and helpful, special thanks to the guy in reception who helped me out with toiletries as my suitcase didn't arrive with me on the flight.

Room was large and the bed was comfortable. The bar was busy and had a good atmosphere too, breakfast was fine if a little over priced. Car parking was $10.00, room rates average for an airport location. This hotel was very close to the freeway which for me was an added bonus.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear EODUK,
Thank you for your review. We are glad that we were able to meet your expectations and provide a comfortable environment during your layover.
Safe Travels,
Holiday Inn SFO Airport
Tonawanda, New York
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I have been a holiday in platuim member for over 25 years, I made reservations at the San Francisco airport holiday inn but got tied up at work and forgot to cancel the reservation. I called a day after the day I was suppose to stay there and asked for a refund because it was an honest mistake, they told me no so I contacted holiday inn and they said they would see what they could do which was nothing. I average over 60 nights a year for 25 years at holiday inns, so with a slap in the face I will NO longer stay at any holiday inn properties

2 Thank James R
Dear James R,
Thank you for taking out the time to leave us a review. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience. Our hotel has subscribed to a program where each guest receives a reminder email a day before they are supposed to check-in. We are just following company policy to be fair to all guests.
Thank you for your understanding.
South San Francisco, California
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This hotel is great. I liked it from the beginning. Check-In was easy and super friendly staff was helping me out. They offer free parking, compimentary breakfast and Wifi. Yes it's all for free compare to some other hotels in the neighborhood.

I didn't got a bayview room but at least a very good rate for rooms in this area. The Wifi is great and fast. Staff is very helpful. My room was very spacious and clean. They offer an outdoor pool, which I dont like to much, because its in the middle of the driveway to the hotel but you can at least cool down if you want to :)

Also they offer free airport shuttle service. If you want to go there and just hang out, just take the shuttle.

Breakfast is great with a big choice but unfortunatly the breakfast room is to small. They have some more seating available in the lobby. They server hot coffee 24h a day, which i kinda like. Late afternoon you will find some cookies in the lobby.

Even that the hotels is close to the airport and to the freeway, I didnt had any noise problems from either side.

I can recommend it. If you want to go downtown SF, just a short drive away you can find the next BART station and take the train there.

Room Tip: Good room would be one with bay view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is no place for the business traveler, assuming that you will need to use the free WiFi.
The only thing that can be said good about it is that it is free. Of course, you get what you pay for (or don't pay for).
I needed to connect to my home office, the service was so very slow that I called the front desk. They tried (or so they said they did) but the service was still bad. I called the front desk and asked if there were an internet cafe nearby.
They told me that I should go across the street to the Four Points Sheraton and use their WiFi.
HUH??
I am a guest at the Holiday Inn,,,NOT at the Four Points Sheraton.
Such audacity!!
Also, I returned back to my room at 3:00 pm only to find that the room had not been made up.
There is no reason whatsoever that ANY hotel room should not be made up by 3:00pm.
They actually sounded surprised when they came to my door to ask if my room had been made up and found out that it was not.
If you need a place (very) close to SF airport for only one night, stay here. Otherwise, stay away.
The $10 per night parking fee did not help matters any....especially when you can not find any available spaces to park in!

Room Tip: There are none
2 Thank Grumpy527
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco - Intl Airport, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear Grumpy527,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate issues with the WiFi prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
New Lenox, Illinois
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Where do I begin… My husband and I stayed here for 6 nights in May. We were there for a business conference with a bit of leisure time squeezed in. The location of the hotel is OK, it’s very close to the airport, but we were never bothered by any noise or traffic. The parking situation is OK as well. $10 a night to park, but that’s significantly cheaper than many of the other hotels in the area and city. Finding a parking spot can be a little difficult at times, but we always got one. Our flight got in around 10am, so we arrived at the hotel between 11:30 and noon, I completely forgot check-in wasn’t until 3pm, but they had a room ready and the girl was nice enough to let us take it early.

Now let me go into the reasons why we won’t be choosing this hotel again. For the most part the customer service SUCKS, the nicest people there were the two maid ladies that did our floor everyday. Our TV remote control was very unresponsive and the battery door was screwed shut, so we figured the batteries were most likely dead. I had to call the front desk THREE times over the span of an hour and a half in order to get a new remote. Being there on a business conference we had a lot of computer gear and professional items and because there are no in room safes we declined maid service during our stay. A few days in I had to call the front desk to ask for a set of fresh towels. It took them nearly an hour for someone to bring them to us. As far as I can tell each room has a mini refrigerator. Don’t expect a nice cold beverage to come out of that fridge. Our sodas got cool at best. I was even afraid to drink the milk we had left overnight in the fridge because it was so warm. Since we had to use ice to cool everything, we got tired of drinking out of the tiny plastic cups they provide; we ended up buying ourselves two glass glasses from Walgreens, just so they would hold enough ice and beverage. The room itself wasn’t impressive. The sink, closet, and bathroom set up feels so tiny and squished. The configuration of that area is not comfortable and honestly feels somewhat claustrophobic. The wallpaper was peeling in spots, the air vent was dirty, the towel rack was missing bars and was bent like some kids were hanging on it, you could see through the paint in the bathroom. THE #1 MOST FRUSTRATING THING ABOUT THIS HOTEL WAS THE INTERNET. It boasts “free wifi” but it is so terrible there might as well not be any. Being there on a business trip we needed to use our Google ChromeCast to put things on the TV’s larger screen. They have a wonderful set up with HDMI and AV jacks right in front of the console, but good luck trying to figure out how to use them. The TV was so terribly sluggish it took us at least 20 minutes just to figure out how to change the video source over. The remote they give you is not for the TV. It's a 3rd party remote that doesn’t allow you access to the menu screens, you have to figure it out by using the buttons on the side of the TV. When we finally got our device connected to the TV the wifi they provide is so bad it would not work to transfer the display from the computer to the TV. Every night my husband tried to figure out a work around and every night it was one frustration after another. He is a wireless networking guy and he seriously considered speaking to management about allowing him 10 minutes in their computer room to fix the wifi.

The food from the attached restaurant is inconsistent. We ordered the same appetizer on two different occasions because the first night we had it it was delicious. The second time we ordered it it came soggy and the toppings were only on about a quarter of the appetizer. I ended up taking it back because it was the one thing my husband was really looking forward to; they re-made it without any problems. They are nice enough to allow you to call in your order and then walk down there to pick it up rather than pay all the room service fees and tip.

All in all, don’t expect any sense of luxury from this hotel unless you plan to stay in the lobby the whole time. Don’t expect to get any work done either unless you can provide your own internet or don’t rely on computers. It was disappointing. If you’re dead set on a Holiday Inn there are some others in the area that might serve you better.

Dear Neenah S,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are so pleased you liked the convenience of our location and the friendliness of our housekeeping staff. The issues you have raised about the in-room amenities, internet connection, level of service, and food selections are very troubling since they seem to be an exception from our daily high standards. We appreciate you bringing these concerns to our attention as we can now focus on improving them and preventing similar situations to happen. We look forward to welcoming you back and ensuring a positive stay experience during your future visit.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Baltimore
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Hotel works well for overnight before early flight out of SFO. It's clean, reasonably priced, has a shuttle that runs every half hour starting at 4:00 AM. Restaurant (Houlihans) has extensive menu and food is well prepared. Large bar area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near South San Francisco
Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel
Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airp...
#3 of 28 in South San Francisco
Holiday Inn Express San Francisco Airport-North
Holiday Inn Express San Francisc...
#11 of 28 in South San Francisco
Four Points By Sheraton San Francisco Airport
Four Points By Sheraton San Fran...
#15 of 28 in South San Francisco
Holiday Inn Express San Francisco Airport South
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport North
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco ...
#1 of 28 in South San Francisco
Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame

Been to Holiday Inn San Francisco - Intl Airport? Share your experiences!