“Clean Hotel. Extremely Overpriced at List, Check Discount Sites.”

Holiday Inn San Francisco - Intl Airport
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The room was itself was very clean and felt modern. I like that were was a large desk area, a place to put bags out of the way, a fridge and room to move around the room. The beds were a little soft and the pillows a smidgen lumpy, but we all had a good nights sleep. There is some hall noise that wends in to the room, but not enough to be obnoxious. The curtains did a good job keeping out the light.

I was shocked that the hotel windows opened. I have small children and have never stayed in a property that had open windows unless there was a balcony. You can tell that a renovation was done to the property in the recent past. However, it seems like they did not renovate the bathroom (see below).

The bathroom felt very dated. The walls, floor and tub looked dingy. The towels were clean but not very soft. I like that the shower and toilet were in a separate room from the sink, but it was a very tight squeeze to close the bathroom door without standing over the toilet to do so.

In order to reach the rooms you had to put your room key in the elevator. It would only open to the floor your room was on. On the one had I appreciate this as a safety precaution. However, we were traveling with several other people and, although I requested rooms together, one group got split off on to another floor. We tried to get to their room to say goodbye the night we were leaving, but their kids were asleep so they could not come out, and we could not get the elevator to let us off at their floor. It was very disappointing.

The staff was friendly, but always extremely busy. I noticed that my IHG number was not attached to my reservation and went to the front desk twice to take care of it. Both times I left after 5-10 minutes because there were still numerous people in line in front of me. I finally decided it was just easier to call when I got home then attempt to have the front desk do it. Also, I called downstairs for a wake up call and no one answered. There was never a time that the staff seemed to be free. There are people coming in and out at all hours due to proximity to the airport. I think they need to have more staff working.

There is a charge to park ($10/night) and the parking lot was so full we had to park at another hotel.

This property is extremely conveniently located to the airport, with a shuttle that runs frequently, but not always promptly. I waited on the airport shuttle for more than 10 minutes past the stated time when leaving the terminal headed to the hotel.

I got a great deal on this room through priceline ($130). So, for what I paid I was thrilled. However, for what the listed price of this room ($320) was, I would have been unbelievably disappointed. For that price you can stay at some fantastic locations in San Francisco.

Room Tip: The lobby and parking lot are very busy, so I would think staying higher up would be better.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco - Intl Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear DailyMantra,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to San Francisco.

Orlando A.

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Arrived at 830pm. A line to check in--why the short staffing. No thank you for being a platinum elite member (a small thing that I always appreciate). Why did not the single person working call for assistance?845p made it to my room. Long brown hair on the bathroom floor, shower floor was slippery due to the fact that the drain was slow and the soap did not drain quickly so coated the shower floor. Sink was very slow draining. If I was not so tired I would have brought my concerns to the manager and move to another room but with an early flight the next day I just went to sleep annoyed--what happened to doing it right (cleanliness) the first time? I will think twice about staying at this Holiday inn property in the future.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco - Intl Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Ladem1,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate you bringing your concern to our attention and we are sorry for any discomfort you may have experienced. We do value our IHG Rewards Club members and I apologize if this was not the case when you stayed with us. I do hope you will give us a chance to make it right and look forward to seeing you in the future.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope that we can better serve you next time.

Connie D

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I used to live up this way and now travel for work, so have a lot of familiarity with this area.
I'm conflicted on my review, because there are some very good things about the property and some not very good things, and one thing I simply could not tolerate, so I imagine it depends highly on what you (reader) is looking for, so I'll give you all of them.

Good things:
* recently renovated, and it shows. Is much nicer on the inside than the very tired exterior would lead you to believe; the woman checking in before me commented on it also. That goes for lobby & rooms. Much nicer than expected.
* extremely close to airport, so you can get to/from hotel almost instantly; if driving, is less than 4min from car rental location. If you want to get to City, you can take the shuttle back to airport and get on the BART and be in downtown SFO in 18min, very easily. Or if you want to drive, the hotel is quite literally across the street from the freeway entrance. Extremely convenient.
* in-house restaurant is pretty good, and have even had business meetings here when not staying at the property.
* good solid staff, pleasant, friendly, easy. Nice throughout all property.

Bad things:
* the renovation either did not cover the exterior or hasn't gotten there yet, and the exterior of the hotel is pretty worn & tired, near other buildings that also are looking pretty worn, and gives an overall shabby feeling. Needs some external sprucing up to match the nice interior.
* parking is terrible, with nowhere near enough spaces to support the room count at this property. There are multiple small lots scattered around the hotel, some of which are restricted to the Convention Center next door, almost no signage, confusing, not very well labeled. This is pretty awkward, and I hope if they continue the renovation to the exterior, they'll address this.

The unacceptable thing:
* the internet is bad enough to be considered non-functional. I was unable to handle video conferencing for work. Hulu or Netflix could not stream. A 15slide powerpoint took almost 20min to download from my email. I could not work on a flight reservation and email at the same time. If you are a pure leisure traveler and don't need the internet, this may not be an issue, but I'd question why an airport hotel, which by definition caters to business travelers, would not be able to support an even moderately functional internet. It was bad enough that I could not accomplish basic job functions and had to cancel the rest of my stay.

The hotel market near SFO is pretty dense, with 65+ hotels within 5miles of the property. There are a few points this property that need addressing for it to be competitive for any reason other than price.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear KevinSdammit,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We certainly work very hard to ensure our guests receive the very best service we can provide each and every day. Whilst we are pleased with your positive comments with our location, accommodations and staff, we regret that the hotel exterior, parking and internet connection was not up to par. We are continually striving to improve the hospitality we offer and comments from our guests are always welcome.

Again, thank you for your review and we hope you do choose to give us another opportunity to make your next stay as best as it can be.

Karen C

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed here for one night before an early flight out of San Francisco. I wasn't sure what to expect because it received mixed reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised. First, the hotel is very easy to find off the 101 North. Second, the front desk staff was friendly and made sure to point out to me that we had to use a key card in the elevator (a complaint I had read in a review). Third, the room was clean, large for the price and had four pillows on each bed (a big plus because I feel like I'm always calling housekeeping to ask for more pillows. There is a complimentary breakfast which we couldn't sample because of our early flight but when I was checking out the front desk clerk asked if I wanted a cup of coffee to go. There is a shuttle to the airport every 30 minutes and the clerk reported that it took about 10 minutes to get from the airport to the hotel (we had to return a rental car so we didn't take the shuttle). The only negatives were a touchy A/C on which we could never find a comfortable setting and a very slow, but free Wi-Fi. I would not stay here if I planned to spend any time in the city, but if you need easy access to SFO it's a good, economical choice.

Room Tip: The hotel is between a major highway and an international airport so I think there's a bit of no...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Because of our itinerary, we needed a hotel close enough to the city, and somewhat in between Sacramento and San Jose. This hotel and location worked out well for us. It was clean and comfortable, but nothing special. Parking was $10, so it's a little cheaper than staying at one of the hotels in the North SFO/Burlingame area. They do have a restaurant/bar inside the hotel so it's convenient. WiFi is free, however we didn't end up using it. We did request a late checkout, which they were able to accommodate but only an hour past the normal check out time.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
HolidayInnIntlArpt, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco - Intl Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear xmingx,
Thanks your for your review. We are glad we were able to provide you with a comfortable stay in San Francisco. Rightly noted is our convenient location with respect to the highway and the conference center. Downtown San Francisco is a quick 15 minutes drive. Looking forward to host you again.
Regards,

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights at this hotel. The room was clean overall but the pillows had a strange smell. The bed was ok. It's in a convenient location near the airport. The hotel runs a shuttle every 30 mins. The AC unit wasn't working properly. They have the towels hanging over the toilet in the bathroom which isn't very hygienic. Internet is complementary but don't bother using it because it's so slow that sites barely load. The price was the cheapest that we could find around the area. To get to San Francisco, you need a car or you'll need to take the shuttle to the airport then take the caltrain to the city. I'll only recommend this hotel for the price. I was a bit disappointed in the holiday inn as this is not my usual experience with them.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco - Intl Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear SamGabrail,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments online. We appreciate you taking the time to help us improve our guest services.

I am disappointed to read that your experience was not what you expected. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you had and for the shortfalls you have encountered. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests.

I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Dhan M

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Just an ok HI hotel. No real perks for platinum members.no discount at hotel restaurant bar.

I'd stay again, just don't use the restaurant

The room is nice, bed comfortable.

Very close to SFO with free shuttle service.

Easy to get to and friendly staff!

Stayed: August 2014

Dear Randall L,
Thank you for the review of your stay at the Holiday Inn San Francisco Airport. We strive to work harder to achieve a perfect score from you. Your comments have been shared with the staff to go above and beyond guests' expectations.